Thread: Telia - Cable cut through

Telia - Cable cut through

If surfers access your domain thru the Telia pipe they will be suffering major speed reductions and this ultimately may affect your west coast sign-ups.

One of their techs cut thru one of their largest pipes today, they are working on it as fas as they can.

If you want to check whether you are accessing your domains via this pipe windows users can do teh following:
    hit....

START

select....

RUN

type....

CMD

type....

tracert yourdomain.com

If telia shows up in your results it will explain your problem

Cheers
    Dave
    Domain inventory sale.

Update from National-Net:

One of our providers, TeliaSonera, has had a major fiber cut on one of main routing paths in the Northeast.

When we were first made aware of it, we we not too concerned because with the exception of a few localized routes that could not automatically route around the cut due to the way carriers in that area handled routing, all other traffic automatically routed around it and went down our other providers (Level3, Savvis, Global Crossing, etc)

Because it was such a small subset of routes affected, combined with the fact that we were told that a fix would be done in a couple of hours (manually routing around these subset routes would have taken more than 2 hours), we made the decision to wait while they repaired it. We have recently received a revised update that states the repairs are going to take much longer than expected and are more extensive than first estimated. Because of this update, we are now taking to the time to make the routing changes required to route around the last few affected areas.

Please understand that this may not completely solve your problem because we can only control how we get to you. We have no control over how you get to us.
    Domain inventory sale.

CamCruise
    Looks like we may have been part of that.
    But, Nat's got it fixed!!!

...since my first hard-on. A_DeAngelo's Avatar
    yeah - we were trying to figure why the connection to our site was so slow today and yesterday too - they helped get it resolved (for us) and I assume others as well

I told them that when the owners of the site can't pull it up, something's wrong...!

we had much dialog back and forth and Luke helped us out as well - all ok here - and just like we ALWAYS do - we went to the source first to fix things -

right Cam? we're ok now?

see you all Friday - bye again...

JustBryce
    Gunplay blamed for Internet slowdown

By Robert McMillan, IDG News Service

Internet service providers in the U.S. experienced a service slowdown Monday after fiber-optic cables near Cleveland were apparently sabotaged by gunfire.

TeliaSonera AB, which lost the northern leg of its U.S. network to the cut, said that the outage began around 7 p.m. Pacific Time on Sunday night. When technicians pulled up the affected cable, it appeared to have been shot.

“Somebody had been shooting with a gun or a shotgun into the cable,” said Anders Olausson, a TeliaSonera spokesman.

The damage affected a large span of cable, more than two-thirds of a mile [1.1 km] long, near Cleveland, TeliaSonera said.

The company declined to name the service provider whose lines had been cut, but a source familiar with the situation said the lines are owned by Level 3 Communications Inc. Level 3 could not be reached immediately for comment.

Cogent Communications Inc. warned that some customers may be experiencing disruptions because network lines had been cut somewhere between Montville, Ohio, and Cleveland. “Splice crews are currently doing preparation work on the new fiber cable before splicing begins to resolve the outage,” Cogent said in a note to customers.

According to Keynote Systems Inc.’s Internet Pulse Report, Cogent was experiencing significant latency problems on Monday.

The outage caused headaches for Christopher McCoy, a system administrator for a Web hosting company in Atlanta. “This Telia outage is really causing a pain,” he wrote in a blog posting. “Telia is one of my company’s main network providers, and explaining to your average Webmaster the details and specifics of a fiber break isn’t all that easy.”

Richard Craver
    the problem certainly affected me!

it was so bad .... things were stalled/crawling etc... that I finally gave up and did something productive. I walked my dog.:dog: