Thread: Average IQ by state and how they voted in 2000: notice a pattern here?

I'd rather be whole, than good rand's Avatar
    --Rand @ Epoch >dot< com
    My AdultWhosWho

Epoch - Since 1996

do you believe the average iq's are actually that low?????

blueboy
    Originally posted by basschick
    do you believe the average iq's are actually that low?????
    The average IQ is 100 and the MENSA society starts between 125-132 depending on the test. MENSA is top 2% of the population.

blueboy
    Being in Alabama (average is 90) I'd have to say yes. There are some really dumb people in these parts.

when mensa came and talked to my mom back a ways, they required an over 160 i.q. at that time, some colleges required a 140 iq and some a 120. it is highly possible that now schools, mensa, etc are using a different test/measurement. i'm so far out of the loop, it's pathetic.

there are dumb people everywhere, but there should also be lots of gifted people and lots of average people... although being as 100 was supposedly average, the numbers make sense.

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar
    Originally posted by basschick
    when mensa came and talked to my mom back a ways, they required an over 160 i.q. at that time, some colleges required a 140 iq and some a 120. it is highly possible that now schools, mensa, etc are using a different test/measurement. i'm so far out of the loop, it's pathetic.

there are dumb people everywhere, but there should also be lots of gifted people and lots of average people... although being as 100 was supposedly average, the numbers make sense.
    I was thinking the same thing, basschick... when I was being courted by MENSA they required a minimum of 145 for induction - so either their testing has changed or they are lowering their standards LOL. I was under the impression that normal was baselined at 110. Don't feel bad it's been a while for me too LOL

Rand - thanks for sharing that... I think there IS a pattern here LOL

Gary-Alan

blueboy
    I remember reading in an old MENSA bulletin that an IQ score of 160 put you into the top .1% category, which is supposedly the cutoff between highly intelligent and genius. But I wold have read that about 8 years ago or so--yeah 1996.

Now you have me looking up wierd stuff on the web.

Here's a link to all the intellectual societies and their qualifying minimums:

http://www.polymath-systems.com/inte.../hiqsocs2.html

Amber C
    Originally posted by blueboy
    The average IQ is 100 and the MENSA society starts between 125-132 depending on the test. MENSA is top 2% of the population.
    YAY!!!!

That means I am in the top 2% of the population. :bandana:

BDBionic
    I don't think MENSA works on a flat # so much as a percentage. So as averages fluctuate, so to does the MENSA cut off point because it's relative to what average IQs are.

BDBionic - you're right; mensa does work by percentage. but if it's that low, either people are less intellegent or parents and schools are not teaching kids to think for themselves - no surprise there :-(

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    So is the rumour true about how the individuals polled were all GFY users?

Regards,

Lee

BDBionic
    hahahaha Lee. that made me actually laugh out loud.

*LOL*

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    stupid is as stupid does?

just quoting