Thread: Gay 9/11 Widow Allowed To Have Compensation

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Yeah Gay 9/11 Widow Allowed To Have Compensation

(Washington, D.C.) For the first time the 9-11 Compensation Fund has recognized a same-sex partner who was not a legal heir.

Like many couples Nancy Walsh and Carol Flyzik of New Hampshire never bothered to make wills. The longer they were together the more they put it off. There was always something more pressing. Both women were nurses with busy careers. Over the years they raised three children, now adults.

But on Sept. 11, 2001 Flyzik, who worked for a pharmaceutical company, was aboard the Los Angeles-bound jet that was crashed into the World Trade Center.

When Walsh first applied to the Fund for compensation she was rejected because Flyzik left no will. She appealed and this week the Fund recognized her as Flyzik's partner and heir.

Walsh's lawyer, Jennifer Levi, declined to disclose the amount of the award to Walsh, but she said the youngest of the couple's children who is over 18 but lived at home part time was also covered in the award. The son is the legal child of Walsh but raised by both women, Levi said.

Other gay survivors have received money from the fund, but this is the first time a partner with no will was granted the benefit.

The first compensation paid to a victim's gay partner was made in January 2003 to the lesbian partner of an Army employee who was killed in the Sept. 11, 2001 attack on the Pentagon.

Under the federal legislation which created the fund surviving families who apply could receive in excess of $250,000 but they must agree not to sue the airlines.
    http://www.365gay.com/newscon04/05/050604award911.htm

I think this is a great thing personally

Regards,

Lee

She's a lesbian, that's what I'm here to talk about!
    Yes,

And this simply illustrates how important it is to have wills, living wills and power of attorney.

Until this government recognizes same-sex marriage, gays and lesbians must continue to go through the legal gymnastics to ensure financial security.

I find it ironic how many of us bitch and moan about same sex marriage yet don't take responsibility to ensure our paperwork is in order. Married couples should STILL have wills, living wills and power of attorney on record.

I'll get off my soapbox now.
    Topbuxom lee
    Director of Marketing
    Topbucks/Pluginfeeds