Thread: Changing to a non windows host - issues!

aaron-str8hell

Changing to a non windows host - issues!

Hey guys, nice to be here. I'm Aaron and I've just started running a medium sized paysite for a production company based in London.

Unfortunately the members area technology is made in asp.net, and the site is hosted on a windows server. Once you're actually in the members area, there's just plain html.

I want to rebuild the site in php, but the company who run our hosting don't have any non windows servers. Php pages aren't protected in the members area because php can't read the cookies and session.

I'm sure I won't have a problem finding a new webhost, and from the stalking - sorry - research I've done on these forums, Chilihost looks like a good bet.
    But how would I create a new login system that worked with php and could be hooked up with our payment providers and stuff? That's the part that's a bit daunting. I'm not a pro coder. Anyone got any advice?

Thankyou :wrench:

Aaron, hooking it into your payment processor should be easy. Pretty much every processor provides you with linux compatable php or cgi scripts that they use to insert a password into your .htpasswd file. You then verify member's userids and passwords when they enter the member area via an .htaccess file (htaccess checks the htpasswd file and then allows/denies based on if the userid/password combo is found). This method is currently being used by probably 90% of the adult websites online.

If you are currently using ASP only for member verification, switching to a linux server should be very easy. All we would have to do is copy your members area and tour, then get the billing company scripts setup and get them to repopulate the password file, then test it all to make sure its good. When you are happy, we do the DNS switch and you are live.

If you want more info, or if you want a price quote for your hosting, please get in touch with me on sales@chilihost.com or icq 118860760 or PM.

cheers,
    Luke

aaron-str8hell
    Thanks for your superhelpful reply, Luke. I've shot you an email.

Aaron

temptationhouse
    there should be noproblems with php and reading cookies/sessions. maybe just trying to read a cookie/session with a wrong name?

No no i'm really handsome, all the lesbians love me.
    As Luke with Chilihost said the payment processors have script to add
    and remove users and other people have already spent years developing
    notice about Linux/FreeBSD etc. servers. With servers it's the reverse
    of the desktop - all the software is already available for POSIX systems
    such as Linux and FreeBSD. You don't have to write everything from scratch
    like you did with Windows. I'm sure Luke will tell you about a log in and
    protection system called Strongbox if it seems to fit your needs.