Thread: Sony Vegas Experts..I need Help!!

jaycar

Sony Vegas Experts..I need Help!!

One of my camera guys didn't set the white balance correctly on one of the video cams and hence, the video has a blue tinge to it. I use Sony Vegas 7 but cant for the life of me work out how to correct that. I could be missing a plug in or something because the Help section talks about that, but I cant work it out. Anyone know how to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance to anyone replying to this.

Cheers

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Can't answer about Vegas specifically, but in general, it sounds like you had white balance set for tungsten (indoor light) which is very yellow/orange, and were shooting outside.

Usually the problem with tungsten-to-daylight white balance problems is there's so much extra blue that the remaining colors are really deficient, so just removing the blue, you end up with a desaturated image.

I haven't had great luck with autocorrection plugins because the color tends to shift during the clip with camera movement. I've had pretty good luck using manual RGB color correction, removing a substantial amount of blue, and adding in a bit of magenta and yellow. Sometimes, if it's really far off, I have to do two separate layers of color correction.

My experience is it's hard to get it to the point it looks completely natural if it's really heavily blue to begin with (such as a whitebalance of 3200K while shooting in the early morning outdoors) but you can usually get it to look pretty decent.

Here's a tutorial for doing this in Vegas. It sounds very similar to how I approach it in Premiere, but I don't use Vegas so can't vouch for it.

http://videoediting.digitalmedianet.....jsp?id=166552

Big Hands/Big Feet=Expensive shoes & gloves!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycar View Post
    One of my camera guys didn't set the white balance correctly on one of the video cams and hence, the video has a blue tinge to it. I use Sony Vegas 7 but cant for the life of me work out how to correct that. I could be missing a plug in or something because the Help section talks about that, but I cant work it out. Anyone know how to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance to anyone replying to this.

Cheers

You can reset the white balance and get the blue tinged removed with Vegas. If I wasn't so tired and eyes about to fall shut, would talk you through the steps..but it's actually fairly easy to do. Start up Vegas, load the video..go to Video FX at the BOTTOM, click on color balance..pull up the blue highlights and apply it to the video. Then you will see the options you have to adjust the red, green, blue settings to get rid of the blue tinge and put it to however you want, you can do this with highlights, midtones, and shodows. If that doesn't work for you for some reason, try "saturation adjust". There are just so so many things and ways to edit video with Vegas. Hope this helps..I truly am falling asleep as I type this..only reason I know it like I do now is that I've been using Vegas since it came out by Sound Forge.

jaycar
    Thanks gaybucks and mansized for all of that. I knew of those options but I just couldnt get it right and thought there may be a plug in or something that just fixes it all in onestep..:-). At least I know now Im on the right track. That tutorial came in handy too. Thanks again guys, much appreciate your input. Have a good one.

Cheers

Xstr8guy
    The plugin I use is Color Corrector. There are 2 different effects the other is Color Corrector (Secondary) which has finer settings. The plugins are standard in Vegas 7.

Btw, Vegas 8 is coming out in a couple days. I can't wait!