Thread: Euro Travel Considerations

Gay Journalist and erotic video producer.
    Itinerant photographer, now in Liverpool... and on Stripchat and Streamen and Chaturbate.

Euro Travel Considerations

Dear Friends -

Do you have experience traveling with camera(s) and Mac(s) from here to Europe, around Europe, and back again?

Do you have recommendations for "flight cases" -retail or homemade Home Depot tool boxes?... do you lug them around, or send ahead?

Are airlines and customs easy or hard on gear?

Any anecdotes?

Any words of wisdom from our European friends here about Mac compatibilities there?

THANKS!

PS - I've met several NICE studios here from Europe and plan to meet them when I'm there in 2008 - maybe sooner.

How long have you been gay? Three hundred and sixty-five had come and went
    Well, I've flown around a lot within Europe and never had problems to take my camera equipment (2 cameras, 1 videocam, a flash, plus tons of cables and accus) and my laptop on board as handluggage. There are some rare cases when a flight is very packed that they will ask you to check-in any access hand luggage, but if you have photo equipment and computers they usually let you on board with two cases.

However, effective from November 2007 there will be a new safety regulation concerning the size of hand luggage for flights starting within the European Community and Switzerland. From that time the maximum size of hand luggage must not exceed 56 x 45 x 25 cms (appr. 22 x 17.5 x 10 inches), but there will be a transitional period of 6 months.

Also watch the regulations on liquids in hand luggage or they will make you throw away your bottle of $150 whiskey or expensive toiletries at the security check.

http://www.gva.aero/en/Portaldata/1/...ete-gva_en.pdf

I would also recommend to choose some 'camouflaged' bags that look like ordinary travel bags. No shrieking colours or stickers/batches and no silver boxes that carry a virtual alarm light that says: 'Hey, attention all people! Expensive photo/computer equipment! Help yourself whenever I look away for a second or bring a friend and hit me over the head!'

Unfortunately I don't have any infos on Mac's over here, but generally there shouldn't be any problems. They are quite common (relatively) over here and Europe isn't like any third or fourth world country. Yes, we even got electricity.

let's pretend we're bunny rabbits
    I have a macbook here that I bought last time I was in the states and brought into Prague airport. Instead of using the box, I bought a $30 neoprene gel case from the mac store and I love it. It's really compact so it still fits in my little sling bag and it's pretty tough, surviving a few clumsy drops with aplomb.

As far as compatibility, you should be fine with an adapter. i believe there is a converter built into the charging cable. I've had my comp here for about 9 months now and so far no problems. *knock wood*

Mac is still relatively new here, however, so if you need any parts it may be hard to track down as there's like 3 mac stores in the whole city.

She's a lesbian, that's what I'm here to talk about!

Happy

no thoughts on macs . Generally I travel light. with real careful packing my old military OD Green camera bag holds my Canon GL , and Canon digi EOS with 50 mil Lens. If you are doing indoor or outdoor, the 50 mil lens is a really worthwhile all round lens. batteries will fit the bag , chargers usually end up in my garment bag . The navy teaches you to pack clothes TIGHT , so you'd be surprised how much fits.

usually, to avoid having them tear your camera bag apart, ask them what they would like to see sep:donmike: erately in the x ray machine . The laptop is a given, but often times they want to run your camcorder and/or camera as well . low key bags, clothes , and a smile help