Thread: Newsgroups?

kingtool

Newsgroups?

Are newsgroups any good for marketing / getting traffic?

Drag is when a man wears everything a lesbian won't. lisa's Avatar
    Hi Chris;
    I can tell you that for Badpuppy the newsgroups have been a huge success for us. We've posted consistently, every day since roughly 1997 and the couple of times our newsgroups server was down, we could see a marked difference in traffic and subsequent sales. I will tell you that you'll see far more traffic than sales, but several sales each day are a direct result of our posting to the newsgroups.

Here are some important guidelines to follow for the best results:

Post to no more than 10 groups in a 24 hour period.

Post no more than 10 images per group.

Post to one group at a time. (If using an automated program, make sure it is set to reflect single group posting at any one time.)

Do not repeat the same image for at least 45 days. Example: If posting Drew22.jpg today, it will not expire from the group for 45 days. You cannot have the same image repeated, prior to expiration.

Keep your subject line simple, as it's not to sound commercial. Same thing with the message or text that you include with the posting. Commercial activity believe it or not, is not legal.

A valid email address must be used when posting.

Only post your own images or images that you own copyrights to. If your images are watermarked with your site url or email address, make sure not to cover the image. It needs to be tastefully displayed on one of the edges of the image. If it is displayed to cover a great deal of the image, it will be looked at as commercial activity, as well as make the viewers/readers quite unhappy!

When posting to the Newsgroups/Usenet you must be group specific, with the images being posted. Examples:If posting to, (alt.binaries.erotica.uncut) the posted images must be of an uncut model. If posting to (alt.binaries.erotica.dick), the posted images must be dick shots.

As far as using the newsgroups, they are also fantastic for branding and name recognition!

Lisa Turner

kingtool
    Lisa, I've posted this question on many boards and this is the only truly useful answer I received. Most people just say "good luck" or "the newsgroups are dead" but I look through the newsgroups and see tons of pics and clips posted there (with watermarks) so I knew that they must be working for someone. My guess is the people who flat out said not to bother with the newsgroups aren't as organized and thorough as you guys at Bad Puppy (or maybe they just don't have as much experience as you). Either way, I thank you fo rthe info and I'm going to give it a try!

Thanks again.

Gay is the new Black
    personally I don't see it ... I mean, I can log into some un-throttled undernet and download full dvd quality movies all day long.

It would be the same, to me, as wanting to run a bot through irc.

But like Lisa pointed out, there are ways to work the newsrooms but to be honest, you need to look at them as you would a torrent site. (or at least, look at the users as such)
    Be Who You Are!

Drag is when a man wears everything a lesbian won't. lisa's Avatar
    Hi Chris;
    You are very welcome! I'm glad I was able to provide you helpful information about the newsgroups and at least what Badpuppy has found as far as results. Be consistent with your postings, follow the rules and post good quality models. Rememer different people like different model types so you may find one days postings to be more successful than others.

I've had the best luck with posting by model series, offering 8 to 10 images of a specific model that fits the category that I'm posting to and not mixing the model pics where you have several models offered in the same days posting. This way you'll find out which models readers find the most interest in and it might steer you in a specific direction that you'd not have chosen otherwise.

Let me know if I can be of any future assistance to you! Have a great day!

Lisa Turner