Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Americans Living Abroad...

Making Pain Pay!

Americans Living Abroad...

I was wondering if any of you guys and gals are Americans living abroad. For instance, I know Chilihost lives in Panama, but I don't know if he is an American.

I was just wondering who was doing this? If they liked it? And what problems, if any, they encountered.

I would love to live somewhere else in the world for a while and get another perspective on things.

- Just curious -

-- Michael
    TropixxxCash.com is a CCBill affiliate program for the male spanking and punishment site TropixxxVIP.com.

:whip:

throw fundamentalists to the lions chadknowslaw's Avatar
    Danny is in Bangkok.

I think most ex-pats have similar issues everywhere -- getting the proper visa, being allowed to stay more than 1 or 3 or 6 months, buying property and large ticket items such as cars without getting raped, getting legal and tax advice without being raped, and language barrier.
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com
    Keeping you out of trouble is easier than getting you out of trouble!

Big Hands/Big Feet=Expensive shoes & gloves!
    Quote Originally Posted by TropixxxStudios View Post
    I was wondering if any of you guys and gals are Americans living abroad. For instance, I know Chilihost lives in Panama, but I don't know if he is an American.

I was just wondering who was doing this? If they liked it? And what problems, if any, they encountered.

I would love to live somewhere else in the world for a while and get another perspective on things.

- Just curious -

-- Michael

Chili is one of them there durn Canadian peaceniks!:donmike:

Making Pain Pay!
    Quote Originally Posted by chadknowslaw View Post
    I think most ex-pats have similar issues everywhere -- getting the proper visa, being allowed to stay more than 1 or 3 or 6 months, buying property and large ticket items such as cars without getting raped, getting legal and tax advice without being raped, and language barrier.
    That's kind of what I figured. That is why I was looking to find some people doing it to see what hassles there really are.
    TropixxxCash.com is a CCBill affiliate program for the male spanking and punishment site TropixxxVIP.com.

many of the webmasters i know who are u.s. citizens living elsewhere moved thinking to avoid 2257 or other similar issues. chad says that it doesn't work that way...

Making Pain Pay!
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick View Post
    many of the webmasters i know who are u.s. citizens living elsewhere moved thinking to avoid 2257 or other similar issues. chad says that it doesn't work that way...
    Yeah, and I suppose I should clarify that is not the case here. We are 100% totally 2257 compliant, and have used YTracker Software to help us make sure all our URL's are cross indexed, etc. In fact, I recently hired a masters student at UNC to randomly select images from my site, then come and find the corresponding records. It went very well.

The reason I am asking is that I think I would like to take an extended trip, like 1-2 years, and travel while I rent my house out. I was thinking 3-6 months in each a 4-6 different locations....

Basically I would get a 6 month lease, (or less), live, work, and just experience things.

In fact, I have been talking with Chad about maybe hiring him to store my records while I travel...

SO...I just want to make sure everyone knows that I am not asking because I want to avoid 2257.

When it comes to exploring the sea of love, I prefer buoys. SPACE GLIDER's Avatar
    Still recall the days when Americans living abroad were stereotyped as being fat and ugly. Thankfully the yanks who do that now are well-aware that, with all the surgeries and diets and lypho and so on, there's no reason for anyone representing us to be hideous-looking.

What hasn't changed are the hassles of transition apparently.

let's pretend we're bunny rabbits
    Quote Originally Posted by chadknowslaw View Post

I'm an American in Prague (not THAT one, unfortunately) who's been living here nigh on 3.5 years.

I can say Chad's more or less hit the nail on the head, however I'd add (in reference to Praha):

Iffiness of health care-- Czech Republic has socialized health care for residents (foreigners with a residence permit) and citizens alike however, may of the good doctors move west for higher pay. There are still a lot of great doctors here, you just need to make sure you get a good recommendation before seeing one. But, if you need any serious surgery: HAVE IT DONE SOMEWHERE ELSE, preferably the US. I've heard horror stories too numerous and frightening to get into.

Even if you don't have health care, basic care is usually extremely cheap, especially dental work. My last cleaning cost me about $20, and the dentist was awesome.

Over all tho, I LOVE it. The city is gorgeous, most things are relatively inexpensive, the volume of ridiculously hot guys is off the chart, there is a lot of great areas outside the city for camping/ hiking/ biking--all that outdoor stuff I love to do. It's easy and cheap to travel all over Europe because you're in the center of everything. The level of education is high. The economy is booming ever since the accession to the European Union. Levels of violent crime are very low (although people will steal anything thats not bolted down including baby carriages and doorknobs)

what else... beer's cheap, as well as public transportation which will get you anywhere, registered partnerships are legal (the government has a more or less laissez-faire attitude towards social issues in general) and I love my job

But I kvetch....

in short-- it's got it's pluses an minuses like anywhere. For me the negatives are well worth bearing in exchange for the positives.

Michael,
    Panama is a really easy place for Americans to live. There are loads of ex-pats here (American and others), there are social groups and websites setup to help each other and you can get a 3-month visitors visa without any problems. And Panama uses the US Dollar, making it really simple.

I can give you info if you are interested in moving here, including all websites, contact names for good lawyers and realty agents, info, etc.

I always encourage people to live abroad, it offers a wonderful experience and gives you a very different point of view than just doing a 2-week holiday.

ps - I am an Australian, not an American

Gay is the new Black
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilihost View Post
    ps - I am an Australian, not an American
    I have wanted to post this for 2 days now but someone claimed you a "nuck" and I thought ... "what do I know"
    Be Who You Are!

Epoch Holly

- Just curious -

-- Michael
    So funny I was just saying that to a friend the other day. It would be nice to live somewhere else for a change.

Think big. Shoot hard.

I am actually thinking of the same thing. Not to avoid 2257, I just feel that we only live one life and there are other cultures and people to explore (pun intended), that wtf, enjoy the world a bit.

I have figured out my VISA issues, now just have to start preparing...

Latin Niche site - 50% Revshare!! MiamiB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by abostonboy View Post
    I am actually thinking of the same thing. Not to avoid 2257, I just feel that we only live one life and there are other cultures and people to explore (pun intended), that wtf, enjoy the world a bit.

I have figured out my VISA issues, now just have to start preparing...
    We feel the same as you do. My boyfriend and I have lived for extended periods of time in Costa Rica, Brazil, and we are now living in Argentina.

Why...friends and family ask. Simple...it is a big world and there is so much to see and experience. We love the laid back attitude of Latin countries and of course, we are in the Latino niche so we shoot content here was well.

We love traveling and the feeling of adventure living out of our home country. In our case it has nothing at all to do with 2257. We still pay us taxes each year and as far as 2257 we have always been totally complaint (we have been in business since 1999). We are still US citizens and as such are still required to obey US laws. We are not trying to get away from that. We simply enjoy the feeling of being out of our environment and doing what we do we can do that! So why not!

Yes, there are challenges and frustrations but it is 1000% worth it! If you get the chance go for it!!

Lee
    MiamiBoyz.com
    Online Since 1999!
    Make 50% initial signup AND 50% recurring![/B] http://www.MiamiBoyz.com
    NEW SITE TO PROMOTE - LatinPiss.com

Making Pain Pay!
    Quote Originally Posted by SPACE GLIDER View Post
    Still recall the days when Americans living abroad were stereotyped as being fat and ugly. Thankfully the yanks who do that now are well-aware that, with all the surgeries and diets and lypho and so on, there's no reason for anyone representing us to be hideous-looking.

What hasn't changed are the hassles of transition apparently.
    I will assume that you did not realize that I am both fat and ugly, and not take this personally. :hmm:

But, on the same note, I don't plan to "represent" Americans...just myself.

When it comes to exploring the sea of love, I prefer buoys. SPACE GLIDER's Avatar
    I will assume that you did not realize that I am both fat and ugly, and not take this personally. :hmm:

But, on the same note, I don't plan to "represent" Americans...just myself.
    Sorry:uhoh:

I only know you through your font. And it's quite fetching.