Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: California Considering Random HIV Testing!

MistahTaylor

California Considering Random HIV Testing!

SACRAMENTO — Gov. Schwarzenegger is considering a bill that would make HIV testing part of routine medical exams for the general population, according to the Sacramento Bee.
    Authored by Assemblywoman Patty Berg, D-Eureka, AB 682 would mandate that patients between the ages of 13 and 64 would be tested for HIV, unless a legal guardian or caretaker did not give verbal consent.

California law currently requires that patients give written consent for the test to be administered. Under the new bill, patients would have to give written consent to decline the test.

The bill follows recommendations by the Centers for Disease Control to include routine HIV testing during general physical exams or routine doctor visits.

“I think it’s a great idea because it’ll normalize the testing of it. It’ll make everyone aware that HIV is out there and it’s something they need to be tested for,” Adult Industry Medical Healthcare Chief Medical Officer Patric Hernandez-Kline told XBIZ.

“I think something like that will also increase the educational components that a lot of facilities don’t have in place. It’ll also help people that don’t have access to those kinds of tests, because the focus is usually on high-risk populations. There are areas that aren’t high-risk, but it’ll make an umbrella so we can see where everyone is at.”

Hernandez-Kline said that the downside of routine testing might lie in the fact that many medical clinics do not have the educational or clinical resources required to deal with a specialized area of healthcare like HIV and AIDS.

“Confidential testing is OK, but does every facility have in place their protocol to disclose positive results? Do they have the ability to treat patients? My answer to that is no, they don’t,” Hernandez-Kline said.

“HIV is such a specialized area of the healthcare system — a general practioner or pediatrician might not know how to approach a patient with that, much less the potential for positive results,” he said.

AIDS Healthcare Foundation President Michael Weinstein said the CDC estimates that 50-70 percent of new infections “occur via a person who doesn't know they are infected with HIV.”

Health officials in California estimate that 40,000 people in the state do not realize they are HIV positive.

Hernandez-Kline hopes that, if the bill is signed into law, it will allow greater access to education and a wider acceptance of HIV testing by the general population.

“Well, I don’t think people are even aware of the risks or how HIV is transmitted. When people don’t consider themselves in at-risk groups, the testing doesn’t work. But if you make it a standard screening, then I think that helps to get the education out there. Otherwise, I think there are people out there that would ignore it,” he said.

“There’s a tendency to focus on high-risk groups like sex workers or men that have sex with men, but I think I read recently that the fastest-growing [HIV positive] population right now is heterosexual women.”

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    I love how that's the way they want to spread "education" about HIV, by forcing a test on people rather than actually put into practice real educational programs, and God forbid teaching about safer sex ed in school. Always attack the problem rather than going for the root.
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

don mike - it's not just about STDs or sex. our country seems to resist any kind of real education in life skills that don't involve being behind the steering wheel of a car.

Quote Originally Posted by DonMike View Post
    I love how that's the way they want to spread "education" about HIV, by forcing a test on people rather than actually put into practice real educational programs, and God forbid teaching about safer sex ed in school. Always attack the problem rather than going for the root.

Camper than a row of tents
    The HIV infection rates are just going to get worse. I for one welcome any measures that make people aware that they have it, even if it's forced testing.

I also believe that every government should require that it's citizens undergo screening for various things at certain intervals.
    I post here to whore this sig.

MistahTaylor
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick View Post
    don mike - it's not just about STDs or sex. our country seems to resist any kind of real education in life skills that don't involve being behind the steering wheel of a car.
    This may sound completly harsh but I agree.. Our country is always resisting learning the hard REALISTIC facts and facing them and learning from them. A lot of what youth is learning these days has nothing to do with EDUCATING Themselves but SELF STIMULATION. That is just my opinion of course.

HERE IS THAT LINK
    http://www.xbiz.com/news/glbt/84794
    ENJOY..
    LOVE KT

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Oh I agree. The other day I made a really dumb remark about a foreign city and a country being two separate places when in fact the city was in that country. I don't remember which one it was but it was some place I was totally unfamiliar with. But when I thought about it, I had never had a Geography class. In all my years of schooling I had never taken Geography, or if I had, I can't remember any of it. How sad is that?
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

Xstr8guy
    I wonder how much money these AIDS testing companies have contributed to Arnold's campaigns?

Something smells funny in Sacramento.

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    oh all these whiners
    Every day people go to their doctor, have a blood test done, or lumps are found etc... and end up being told they have cancer or something else scary.

And with all the HIV+ idiots out there who refuse to get tested and run around infecting other people it makes sense that way if they are positive they actually know which then makes them liable for spreading the virus

www.HotDesertKnights.com hdkbill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt 26z View Post
    The HIV infection rates are just going to get worse. I for one welcome any measures that make people aware that they have it, even if it's forced testing.

I also believe that every government should require that it's citizens undergo screening for various things at certain intervals.
    Thank God that there are still some Americans who believe in basic human rights, including the right not to be forced to take certain type of medical tests. What's next? Mandatory sterilization? Denial of health care for those determined to be too old and thus of no value to the population any longer? Limits on the amount of children you are allowed to have? Oh gee, and how about this one....let's make sodomy a crime...afterall, it only occurs between degenerate homosexuals. GIVE ME A BREAK!

You want to control HIV and other STD's and other CONTROLLABLE health problems? Then DEMAND that your legislators bring back sex/health education in ALL public school starting in the 6th or 7th grade and make it a mandatory class EVERY year until graduation. AND, DEMAND that the sex educators be permitted to teach how HIV and other STD's are transmitted and how they can be prevented INCLUDING condom use. Currently no school that receives public funding is permitted to teach anything other than abstinence or "JUST SAY NO". This isn't rocket science.

"Forcing" any person to take a medical test or procedure against their will in this country is just plain wrong. It's done in China and Korea...but it should never be done here regardless of the justification.

Bill

www.HotDesertKnights.com hdkbill's Avatar
    Patty, unfortunately that isn't even true anymore. Many public schools, especially on the east coast, have ceased teaching Driver's Ed due to funding cut backs.

Gee, amazing isn't it, how this county can spend hundreds of BILLIONS of dollars every year on a war machine but we can't....or won't, teach our kids basic life skills that may save their lives and end up saving our country hundred of BILLIONS, if not trillions, in reduced public health care expense.

Bill

Big Hands/Big Feet=Expensive shoes & gloves!
    Quote Originally Posted by hdkbill View Post
    Thank God that there are still some Americans who believe in basic human rights, including the right not to be forced to take certain type of medical tests. What's next? Mandatory sterilization? Denial of health care for those determined to be too old and thus of no value to the population any longer? Limits on the amount of children you are allowed to have? Oh gee, and how about this one....let's make sodomy a crime...afterall, it only occurs between degenerate homosexuals. GIVE ME A BREAK!

You want to control HIV and other STD's and other CONTROLLABLE health problems? Then DEMAND that your legislators bring back sex/health education in ALL public school starting in the 6th or 7th grade and make it a mandatory class EVERY year until graduation. AND, DEMAND that the sex educators be permitted to teach how HIV and other STD's are transmitted and how they can be prevented INCLUDING condom use. Currently no school that receives public funding is permitted to teach anything other than abstinence or "JUST SAY NO". This isn't rocket science.

"Forcing" any person to take a medical test or procedure against their will in this country is just plain wrong. It's done in China and Korea...but it should never be done here regardless of the justification.

Bill

Very well put Bill. In Washington state there was a big battle a few years ago about making all doctors report any patient that was hiv+ to turn that information into the state health board.

The problem then, like in this proposal, is when you've got VERY closeted men, or people simply having problems with their sexuality and VERY afraid of something like hiv exposing them (ironic turn around), they would STOP going to the doctor to prevent the dissemination of this info, and thus would not get the medical care they needed and should receive on top of everything else. You drive the disease UNDERGROUND and you start losing control of the spread..the opposite of what the backers of this bill purportedly wants.

Sha
    Bill you bring up some very good points. I couldn't agree with you more.

Camper than a row of tents
    Quote Originally Posted by hdkbill View Post
    Thank God that there are still some Americans who believe in basic human rights, including the right not to be forced to take certain type of medical tests.
    We are forced to undergo vaccinations as children, so why not some quick tests here and there as adults? Were these vaccinations a violation of your human rights too?
    I post here to whore this sig.

Big Hands/Big Feet=Expensive shoes & gloves!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt 26z View Post
    We are forced to undergo vaccinations as children, so why not some quick tests here and there as adults? Were these vaccinations a violation of your human rights too?

As children, we are dependent on our parents to take care of us.
    As adults, the last thing I need is the state trying to take care of me without me asking them to do so.