Thread: Libel Suit of Interest to Anyone who uses Email

throw fundamentalists to the lions chadknowslaw's Avatar

Libel Suit of Interest to Anyone who uses Email

Libel and slander cases are very rare -- I believe fewer than 1000 are actually filed in the US each year. The hurdles are very high -- the person speaking has to know that he is not telling the truth, that the speakers intends to do damage and that real damage actually happens. A board post that calls a webmaster a thief is not going to make a case if that webmaster's business has no measurable damage. A board post that calls an affiliate manager a whore is not going to make a case if that affiliate manager really is a whore. And a board post that calls a helpless attorney a lying bastard is not going to make a case because everything already believes attorneys are lying bastards. :-)

While there are a few legitimate cases where real damage was done and the poster made his accusations intentionally, most board posts are not actionable libel or the cost to pursue the matter is too high compared to the damage done. When I find an example of a libel case gone bad, I will post it.

Here is an example of electronic speech -- emails -- that went from a state court to a federal court and now, one year later, has been dismissed entirely and the parties never even got out of the starting block.

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1196071463476

A libel and defamation action brought by the former coach of a U.S. Olympic skeleton team has been rejected by a federal district judge who found the court has no personal jurisdiction over the Wyoming resident who called the coach a "sexual predator" in an e-mail.

Timothy Nardiello, the former coach of the U.S. national team in the Winter Olympic sliding sport known as "skeleton," was described as a "sexual predator" and "known sexual abuser" in electronic mails sent in late 2005 and early 2006 by Terry Allen from Wyoming to members of the Skeleton Program Committee, the sport's governing board in the United States.

Skeleton athletes slide down iced runs headfirst, lying on their stomachs on small sleds. Lugers lie on their backs on small sleds and slide feet first. Both reach speeds approaching 100 mph.

Nardiello, a long-time resident of upstate Lake Placid, N.Y., contended in his action that Allen's charges "imputed unchaste behavior" upon him; contributed to Nardiello's suspension as coach of the U.S. skeleton team on the eve of the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy; and resulted in his outright dismissal soon afterward.

Nardiello initially sued Allen in New York Supreme Court in Essex County in December 2006. But Allen successfully removed the case to federal court in June 2007, arguing diversity of citizenship.

Northern District Judge Gary L. Sharpe ruled in Nardiello v. Allen, 07-cv-0580, that, even at the preliminary stage of this case, Nardiello failed to make a prima facie showing that the Northern District has personal jurisdiction over Allen.

To do so, Nardiello would have had to show that Allen transacted business within New York state and that the claim against him, in Nardiello's case, defamation and libel, arose from that business activity. Nardiello did not do so, Sharpe wrote, citing Sole Resort, S.A. de C.V. v. Allure Resorts Mgmt., LLC, 450 F.3d, 100 (2d Cir. 2006).
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com
    Keeping you out of trouble is easier than getting you out of trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by chadknowslaw View Post
    ...And a board post that calls a helpless attorney a lying bastard is not going to make a case because everything already believes attorneys are lying bastards. :-)
    hehehe, that one line made my day - after dealing with countless lying bastard lawyers while trying to sell my house.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    The problem is, most people get worried when someone posts on a message board they will get 'sued'.

What most people dont realize though is that the people who are going to be doing the 'suing' actually need to be able to afford an attorney

Regards,

Lee

throw fundamentalists to the lions chadknowslaw's Avatar
    :uhoh:

Most are not willing to put up the $50,000 or so needed to start and pursue a libel claim. Of course, many just don't realize that getting your feelings hurt does not entitle you to a lottery-like payoff or that in the highly unlikely event that you actually have a case, court cases take years to resolve and even more years to collect.
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com
    Keeping you out of trouble is easier than getting you out of trouble!

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by chadknowslaw View Post
    :uhoh:

Most are not willing to put up the $50,000 or so needed to start and pursue a libel claim. Of course, many just don't realize that getting your feelings hurt does not entitle you to a lottery-like payoff or that in the highly unlikely event that you actually have a case, court cases take years to resolve and even more years to collect.
    Then you have the idiots like Reece Dylan posting fake C+D letters on public message boards LOL

It makes good post fodder though

Regards,

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    What most people dont realize though is that the people who are going to be doing the 'suing' actually need to be able to afford an attorney
    That's true. When people can afford an attorney, some use the legal system as a form of revenge or as leverage to get what they want, knowing the other party can't afford to defend themselves.

Libel is so interesting too because when people have been called out on boards for their dirty deeds they get pissed as hell and deny and create all sorts of drama. Oddly enough when people are lied about, they deny, and just move on, knowing it's not true.

Interesting thread on libel thanks Chad :thumbsup:

Does anyone know of a successful libel suit dealing specifically with posts on boards?
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    I believe there was a case some years back involving derogatory comments someone made (anonymously, they thought) using AOL's message boards, back when AOL was a large force on the Internet. It involved a guy who was a stockbroker or businessman or something, and he had money to pursue the case.

I don't remember details, but I think the libeled party sued AOL, did discovery to get the info on the "anonymous" poster, then named both AOL and the poster. I think I remember that the DMCA "safe harbor" for ISPs either came about because of that, or else it was the first test of the "safe harbor" provision of the law.

Perhaps someone else remembers more details.