Thread: Password Protected .Zip Files - How To Charge For Access?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Password Protected .Zip Files - How To Charge For Access?

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how i could potentially charge for passwords to open up .zip files full of images and movie clips on a new site im starting to plan, i figure it would be like paying per download but rather than having to 'pay' first, the list of zip files and a couple of sample clips/images would be freely distributed across P2P networks, Rapidshare, etc.

Do you think this could be a good business model?

Regards,

Lee

southernexposur
    WinAce and PowerZip offer password protection but, They would have to pay per password for each file.

Way back when, there was a site that did this with powerzip, membership included a password to unlock zipped movie files. There is a trial version of PowerZip you can download then you have to purchase PowerZip to open the files that they have bought after the trial expires. Double profit if PowerZip has an affiliate program.
    :nobody:

Life is a dick and when itīs get hard---just fuck it... DEVELISH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    [...] i figure it would be like paying per download but rather than having to 'pay' first, the list of zip files and a couple of sample clips/images would be freely distributed across P2P networks, Rapidshare, etc.

Do you think this could be a good business model?
    Hi Lee,

don't you think that they would soon distribute the password along with the zipfile on the very same P2P network?

DEV..

night y'all
    :-D

Quote Originally Posted by DEVELISH View Post
    Hi Lee,

don't you think that they would soon distribute the password along with the zipfile on the very same P2P network?

DEV..

night y'all
    Not if it could be managed like with regular membership site passwords

Regards,

Lee

southernexposur
    You would only want to let the free stuff roam the p2p's with a link to site.:cheekymonkey:

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Sounds like what you're looking for would be a little program that would allow the user to input a password, then check an authentication server to see if that password is valid, and then, if so, send an unlock key or command to the program to decrypt/unzip the file.

I don't know of anything that would do that offhand, but I don't think it would be too difficult to create. You could also potentially set it up so the password was usable only a certain number of times after which it would automatically disable.

That sounds like a really good idea... hmmmm

Any decent man you ever get is gonna find out you're half dyke and RUN. Epic Men's Avatar
    That sounds like DRM for zip files, .

Any decent man you ever get is gonna find out you're half dyke and RUN. Epic Men's Avatar
    You may want to check out PKWARE,

http://www.pkware.com/index.php?opti...d=53&Itemid=78

to see if this is what your looking for.

people who download from p2p & rapidshare are used to getting things for free, I am betting it would only be a matter of time before your zip file gets unzipped and reuploaded with no password, or your password gets shared on a thousand blogs alongside the rapidshare link URL.

DRM would theoretically work better for this, people can download the file and unzip it but would have to authenticate against your .htpasswd file before the player allowed it to play the movie. But, of course, DRM is broken and can be easily defeated. DRM + p2p used to be profitable (one company had a huge p2p network and charged in the $10,000 range to get a DRM protected video online and featured) but now its not anymore.

I think you are getting to this idea about 2 years too late

Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    That sounds like a really good idea... hmmmm
    Indeedy and the best thing about it is, the 'consumer' will have already downloaded the 'product' so will be more likely to 'pay' for it as they already half own it

Major studios could actually start releasing their movies on the P2P networks if there was a billing mechanism like this in place to be used and not have to worry about piracy as much

Regards,

Lee

Life is a dick and when itīs get hard---just fuck it... DEVELISH's Avatar
    AFAIK Kazaa has paid content

With ZIP files you'd nee updatable password protection lists inside the ZIP file or a programm that has many generic keys for the same ZIPfile or a programm that is DRM like (online checking for permission) - all which are non existend as far as I know.

BUT.. what if you spread the zipfile along with the password on P2P - pack a few samples into the zipfile and an *.nfo file like the crackers do which points them to the source of the vids/pics.
    You could also include a working user/pwd with the "crack" which is only good for a SMALL area of your paysite - then have them upsell.
    :-D