Thread: Do You Buy 'Upgrades' Or Full Versions?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Do You Buy 'Upgrades' Or Full Versions?

So the last few times we have had to purchase new software we have opted for the cheaper 'upgrade' versions however, now we have multiple machines in the office with the addition of some new staff members im wondering if that was the best thing to do.

Do you folks typically go for upgrades to existing software packages or do you opt for full versions of products that you use when they get updated?

Regards,

Lee

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    Person could go bankrupt buying full versions every time an update comes along for some of this crap. I buy a multiple machine full version, then nothing but upgrades afterwards. Cheaper and keeps everything legal. :morning:
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

Think big. Shoot hard.
    I follow whatever the license is on the software.
    Lloyd - Stunner Media - ICQ: 216150073
    "The key to success is to risk thinking unconventional thoughts. Convention is the enemy of progress. If you go down just one corridor of thought you never get to see what’s in the rooms leading off it." - Trevor Baylis

Gay Journalist and erotic video producer.
    Itinerant photographer, now in Liverpool... and on Stripchat and Streamen and Chaturbate.
    I have purchased annual upgrades to Final Cut Pro (Studio - including the suite of LiveTyle, SoundTrack Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Color, Motion)...

I've not upgraded PhotoShop since 7.0 on non-Intel Macx, and CS on Intel Macs, do what I need for graphics for Final Cut Pro, and boxcover art.

Excel does fine, even Sun's free suite of Office-like open source programs... but the real work happens with my PHP code (free language ) and mySQL database tables, which are free on my host.

Think big. Shoot hard.
    This thread is confusing me. Where do you get a "choice"?

When you buy software you are in all actuality buying a license. For example, the home edition of MS Office can be used on three computers. When a new version "upgrade" comes out I will buy it for those three computers. If I have it on six computers, I will buy 2 "upgrades".

I just don't see where you have a choice unless you are breaking the license agreement with the software company.

You buy the full version and use it on as many machines as allowed. When a new versions comes out, you upgrade it on as many machines as allowed. I believe there are hacks around it.

In some cases you have to be real careful. When I was troubleshooting an issue with Dreamweaver, which I paid for btw, I saw on their support board that if two computers with the same IP address are using a single license copy then they both stop working. I had this happen to me when I had both running at the same time as I re-installed it back on my XP machine when Vista decided it didn't like my graphics card. Or was it when I when rolling back my laptop from Vista to XP again? No idea, but Adobe thought I was cheating them. I had to call them and explain what a POS Vista was. Seems like they understood.
    "The key to success is to risk thinking unconventional thoughts. Convention is the enemy of progress. If you go down just one corridor of thought you never get to see what’s in the rooms leading off it." - Trevor Baylis

Think big. Shoot hard.
    The best "legal" way to get the upgrade price is go on Ebay and grab a real old version of the software. It's always new and heavily discounted. Then buy the upgrade. There are companies that you can buy legal copies of software for like $20 that are 2-3 versions behind what is available, then buy the upgrade. I saved $400 on a piece of financial software that I use by doing this. Some of the top powersellers in the software category sell just software like this and explain the savings that you get by being able to upgrade legally to the newest version.

If I actually have time this year I will take a few graphic design classes and really stock up on software with the educational versions.