Thread: 14 year old in CA kills gay classmate, to be charged with hate crime

I Want To See Bradleys 'B-Unit' deanb's Avatar

14 year old in CA kills gay classmate, to be charged with hate crime

Prosecutors today alleged that the shooting of 15-year-old eighth-grader at an Oxnard campus by a classmate was a hate crime.

The 14-year-old defendant was charged with premeditated murder with a special allegation of using a firearm in the commission of a hate crime. The victim, Lawrence King, was declared brain dead on Wednesday and will be taken off a ventilator today so that some organs can be removed for donation, officials said.

Prosecutors will ask that the boy be tried as an adult once King is taken off a ventilator, said senior Deputy Dist. Atty. Maeve Fox. She declined to discuss the hate-crime allegation.

"We've never had a violent shooting like this in Ventura County," Fox said. "It's very tragic."

Defense attorney Brian Vogel said the defendant and his family, who were in court for his arraignment hearing, were also hurting.

The boy and his "family are terribly sad to learn that [King] is brain dead," Vogel said.

He said the defendant, whose name is being withheld because of his age, did not have a prior criminal history and was generally a good student. Vogel said the boy just turned 14 on Jan. 24.

King was shot in the head early Tuesday in a classroom full of students at E.O. Green Junior High School.

Police said the suspect shot King at least twice at the beginning of their first-period English class and then fled the campus. The boy was apprehended by police a few blocks away.

Several students at the south Oxnard campus said King and his alleged assailant had a falling-out stemming from King's sexual orientation. The teenager sometimes wore feminine clothing and makeup, and proclaimed he was gay, students said.

"He would come to school in high-heeled boots, makeup, jewelry and painted nails -- the whole thing," said Michael Sweeney, 13, an eighth-grader. "That was freaking the guys out."

Student Juan Sandoval, 14, said he shared a fourth-period algebra class with the suspect, whom he described as a calm, smart student who played on the basketball team.

"I didn't think he was that kind of kid," Sandoval said. "I guess you never know. He made a big mistake."

"Their lives are both destroyed now," said student Hansley Rivera, 12.

Several students said that a day before the shooting, King and several boys had some kind of altercation during the lunch period.

Jay Richard Smith, executive director of Ventura County Rainbow Alliance, a nonprofit group which advocates gay and lesbian rights, attended today's court hearing and said his group would be keeping a close eye on the trial.

"This is an equality issue," he said. "Every child should be able to go to school and be safe. We want to make sure that happens."

Bullying in schools has long been a problem. But recent studies show that a student who comes "out" as gay or lesbian is far more likely to suffer abuse than others, said Kevin Jennings, executive director of the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network based in New York.

A student thought to be gay was five times as likely to be threatened or injured by a weapon, a 2002 California Department of Education study said.

Jennings said other studies have found similar results. His group advocates more teacher training on how to handle bullying and harassment, specifically of gay students.

"This Oxnard shooting is very upsetting but not surprising," Jennings said. "The real issue is not the kid coming out, but the kid sitting next to him. Schools must teach that we may not like one another, but we must respect one another."

Teachers and counselors at E.O. Green Junior High, meanwhile, sought to calm fears about escalating violence at the south Oxnard campus. Hueneme School District Supt. Jerry Dannenberg said the school would have extra staff and police on campus for the next few days.

Counselors will be on hand as long as needed, Dannenberg said. The school district will hold a meeting for parents next week to discuss concerns.

This week's shooting was a first, not only for the school but for all of Ventura County, which has never before seen a classroom fatality.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,7663055.story
    ICQ# 200-385-093

This is so strange to comprehend. My son is 14 and I just don't see this kind of mentality at his school, but these things are happening. So sad. Is it just me or is it ironic he's being charged with a hate crime? I mean, shooting anyone in the head and killing them is an act of hate right?
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

throw fundamentalists to the lions chadknowslaw's Avatar
    A hate crime is an enhancement of the underlying crime.

For example, it may be a 2 year prison term for assaulting someone, but if there is a hate crime statute, assaulting someone specifically because they are Jewish is an enhancement getting a total of 3 years.

So yeah, shooting someone in the head is pretty hateful and _should_ get the kid pre-meditated murder but if the prosecutor can show the murder was committed _because_ the victim was gay then he can get an enhancement to the sentence.

I noticed that the defense lawyer said some pure BULLSHIT about how the "defendant and his family were hurting too".

Umm, NO YOU STUPID FUCK.

The guy who brought a gun to school and intentionally shot his classmate in the head is not hurting, he is a FUCKING MURDERER. The family that is HURTING is the family whose son is being pumped full of embalming fluid and who will never grow up, laugh, cry or breathe again. To say that "the defendant and his family are hurting too" is insulting. Goddammit I hate some lawyers.
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com
    Keeping you out of trouble is easier than getting you out of trouble!

How long have you been gay?
    Hate crimes are just thought crimes no matter how you look at it.

The family of the killer is hurting, how could their little killer get caught. Sorry but give the killer the max.

Quote Originally Posted by chadknowslaw View Post
    I noticed that the defense lawyer said some pure BULLSHIT about how the "defendant and his family were hurting too".

Umm, NO YOU STUPID FUCK.

The guy who brought a gun to school and intentionally shot his classmate in the head is not hurting, he is a FUCKING MURDERER. The family that is HURTING is the family whose son is being pumped full of embalming fluid and who will never grow up, laugh, cry or breathe again. To say that "the defendant and his family are hurting too" is insulting. Goddammit I hate some lawyers.
    Right and not to mention the psychological pain of all the kids in the classroom when he shot the guy, the children in the school dealing with this. Lots of pain to go around, all caused by this little murderer who someone taught it was ok to hate fags, and who someone gave access to a gun.
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Getting your surfers off since 1997
    I can't even imagine the hatred some child had for another. I would have to say this is a "learned" trait.

Makes me very sad.......
    David
    Affiliate Manager
    http://www.boydollars.com
    AIM:FinelineDave
    (888)429-3837 TOLL FREE

I am not gay but I have slept with some guys who are
    That is the craziest story.

I hadn't heard on the msm that the victim was gay.