Thread: Changing DNS Nameservers

Making Pain Pay!

Changing DNS Nameservers

When you change your DNS pointers, I know it takes 24-48 hours to go into effect. During that time, is it common to have browsers tell you that "We are unable to find the server."?

I have a site running on a host, and now a new site on a new host. I just changed the DNS pointers to the new host, and now that is what I am getting when I type in the URL.

I know the site is up and running in the new location.

Is there a better way to make the switch in the future?
    TropixxxCash.com is a CCBill affiliate program for the male spanking and punishment site TropixxxVIP.com.

:whip:

I Want To See Bradleys 'B-Unit' deanb's Avatar
    It really depends on the company you are using. I use GoDaddy for my domains, and sometimes they can be extremely fast, and sometimes it can seem like a snail. I think they tell you 24-48 hours because that is how long it CAN take, in most cases it is usually faster.

I don't think I answered any of your questions. :bunnypancake:
    ICQ# 200-385-093

I am not content
    Frequently it can be your ISP that is caching the page not found. If you access the site with www try without.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    It depends.

If you're changing the actual nameserver (for example from dns1.someserver.com to dns1.godaddy.com) then it will take 1 to 2 days, but unless the entries have been removed from the old nameserver (or the old server taken offline), it should be seamless... some people will hit the old server and some the new one during the transition

If you're changing the host records in the name server and the DNS, then, depending on how the DNS is set up, it can take as little as 15 minutes.

For example, I moved one of my (nonadult) servers from another provider to NatNet last night. It was a discussion board, and I turned off the discussion board, made the DNS change in Enom's DNS, had NatNet move the data to the new server, updated the DNS, and in about 20 minutes, everything was online and working on the new server.

But unless the old DNS removed the entry for your site from its records entirely, you should NEVER get a "server not found."

Hope that helps!

Making Pain Pay!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    It depends.

If you're changing the actual nameserver (for example from dns1.someserver.com to dns1.godaddy.com) then it will take 1 to 2 days, but unless the entries have been removed from the old nameserver (or the old server taken offline), it should be seamless... some people will hit the old server and some the new one during the transition

If you're changing the host records in the name server and the DNS, then, depending on how the DNS is set up, it can take as little as 15 minutes.

For example, I moved one of my (nonadult) servers from another provider to NatNet last night. It was a discussion board, and I turned off the discussion board, made the DNS change in Enom's DNS, had NatNet move the data to the new server, updated the DNS, and in about 20 minutes, everything was online and working on the new server.

But unless the old DNS removed the entry for your site from its records entirely, you should NEVER get a "server not found."

Hope that helps!
    It helps a little...

Here is what I did, maybe you or someone else can see where I went wrong.

I have a site hosted at AAA. The domain is held by ezdomainname.com. I built a new site on a new server hosted at BBB. I went into ezdomainname.com and clicked on "Nameservers" and changed them from NS1.AAA.COM to NS1.BBB.com.

Right away, I could no longer see the site, and got the "Server can not be found" page on my browser.
    TropixxxCash.com is a CCBill affiliate program for the male spanking and punishment site TropixxxVIP.com.

I am not content
    Quote Originally Posted by TropixxxStudios View Post
    Right away, I could no longer see the site, and got the "Server can not be found" page on my browser.
    Are the new NS yours? If so, are you sure you designated the domain as a NS with your registrar?

If not, are you sure the NS is up? Can you ping the domain the NS is on? Do a tracert?

If you want to contact me directly I will take a look for possible issues if you do not want to post URL's here.

16 07 54 97

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by TropixxxStudios View Post
    It helps a little...

Here is what I did, maybe you or someone else can see where I went wrong.

I have a site hosted at AAA. The domain is held by ezdomainname.com. I built a new site on a new server hosted at BBB. I went into ezdomainname.com and clicked on "Nameservers" and changed them from NS1.AAA.COM to NS1.BBB.com.

Baddog is on the right track. My first guess is that ns1.bbb.com doesn't have an entry for your domain, or somebody made a typo when entering into their DNS and it's pointing to the wrong IP address. Looks like ezdomainname is reselling GoDaddy, and I think they (GoDaddy) have near-immediately updating of DNS, so it's unlikely it's a propagation issue.

Making Pain Pay!
    Thanks everyone. It turns out that they did not have the entry for my domain at the new place. Very frustrating, but I appreciate everyone's help, feedback, and offers to help figure it out!

They are fixing the problem now, and all should be good soon!

Thanks again.