Thread: What do you do when you get a bad review of your site because...

Making Pain Pay!

What do you do when you get a bad review of your site because...

What do you do when you get a bad review of your site because the person doing the review obviously does not know anything about your niche?

For instance, I have a male spanking and punishment site which is well received by many due to the fact that features REAL punishment rather than faked punishment.

A recent reviewer went on a rant about how it demonstrates abusive relationships, abuse, etc. He basically trashed the site, but still signed up for my affiliate program and even sends a few sales.

I have tried to contact this guy, but he tells me that even a bad review is still sending traffic and sales.

I am thinking of terminating his affiliate account for the mere fact that he is an ass.

Was wondering what you guys/gals thought?
    TropixxxCash.com is a CCBill affiliate program for the male spanking and punishment site TropixxxVIP.com.

:whip:

I Want To See Bradleys 'B-Unit' deanb's Avatar
    I have seen a person get a bad review, and refuse the reviewer a new log in because the bad review was doing so well. I think it comes with the territory, and if he says it demonstrates that, it may play more into the fetish and sell better. Just my 2c though.
    ICQ# 200-385-093

first off, i HATE it when that happens to me. my site shows bodybuilders in tiny posing trunks, and some people don't understand that a guy not showing his dick can still be sexy. you wouldn't believe the reviews some people write. i honestly don't know why they bother.

i have two views on what you said. one is that if it's sending sales, isn't that the real point in most cases?

but imo a reviewer who uses their reviews as a public forum for their personal opinions isn't doing their job. guys come to review sites to learn about the SITES, and if they weren't already looking for spanking, bdsm, etc, they wouldn't be reading the review in the first place.

and i guess what disturbs me about what you wrote isn't whether he'd trash your site - it's that his review is trashing your entire NICHE and putting value judgements on it. if he doesn't understand the niche or feel comfortable, he has no business imo to work with that niche at all. i don't think i'd want a review of my site that said bodybuilders in general were harmful for society. that's very different from saying my site sucks.

you can't legally term someone for being an ass. you CAN, however, add a rule to your terms and conditions - and i'd spend time and write this one out carefully - and give all your affiliates written notice that the rule must be complied with within a certain amount of time.

good luck sorting this out!

Quote Originally Posted by TropixxxStudios View Post
    What do you do when you get a bad review of your site because the person doing the review obviously does not know anything about your niche?

For instance, I have a male spanking and punishment site which is well received by many due to the fact that features REAL punishment rather than faked punishment.

A recent reviewer went on a rant about how it demonstrates abusive relationships, abuse, etc. He basically trashed the site, but still signed up for my affiliate program and even sends a few sales.

I have tried to contact this guy, but he tells me that even a bad review is still sending traffic and sales.

I am thinking of terminating his affiliate account for the mere fact that he is an ass.

Was wondering what you guys/gals thought?

Quote Originally Posted by basschick View Post
    but imo a reviewer who uses their reviews as a public forum for their personal opinions isn't doing their job.
    I couldn't agree more
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Making Pain Pay!
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick View Post
    you can't legally term someone for being an ass.
    What if it is in my terms?
    (See Number 4)

http://www.tropixxxcash.com/terms.html

"In the event you turn out to be a complete and utter asshole in the opinion of TropixxxCash management, we reserve the right to terminate your account and you may forfeit your right to any payments owed. If you require any additional information regarding our "Asshole Policy" please contact us prior to sign up."
    TropixxxCash.com is a CCBill affiliate program for the male spanking and punishment site TropixxxVIP.com.

Making Pain Pay!
    I don't think that anyone ever reads my terms....
    :snake:

But seriously, I agree TOTALLY with what BassChick says, and I am really at a loss what to do here.

I Want To See Bradleys 'B-Unit' deanb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TropixxxStudios View Post
    I don't think that anyone ever reads my terms....
    :snake:

But seriously, I agree TOTALLY with what BassChick says, and I am really at a loss what to do here.
    Is he converting on par with other review traffic for you? I think that if he is hurting anyone its himself, as anyone that is into spanking that reads the review is just going to think he is a moron. What is the link to the review anyway?
    ICQ# 200-385-093

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Curious how he's willing to talk about how awful your niche is and how it's damaging and abusive, but willing to take the cash from promoting what he considers abuse.

I'd say probably best to leave him alone. You never know, he might be enough of a nutjob to go on a rampage and start trashing you everywhere if you terminate him.

We've had a couple of unjust bad reviews here and there, we just sort of take it and move on...

Making Pain Pay!

Good News...

Good News,

After reading this thread, and in particular Basschicks response, the offending party emailed me and told me that he did not mean offense, and has since updated the review.

He told me that it was an attempt to make the site sound more "edgey" and entice people to check it out, and he did not realize that he was potentially offending.

I think it was a miscommunication on both parties when I wrote him asking about the bad review, and all is well now.

Case closed. Thanks Basschick for expressing in words what I was having problems doing due to frustration with the situation.

yay! i'm glad the situation worked out for everyone

I feel your pain.

I once had a guy (maybe the same one.. a total ass) who reviewed our site and made the most bizarre comments.

He said that Fratmen is a site full of "before" pictures and that the after pics would be published once the guys all were found dead in a ditch from meth over-doses. If you've seen our models, I'd like you to point me to one that looks like he's even touched hard drugs once. We only shoot guys who look like health freaks.

He made comments about how our guys were only attractive because they were young but they'd all soon be "those old, tired, bald, fat guys you see at bars leering at the rent boys."

It was just horrifying.

I sent him a message asking him what about a bunch of collegiate men with clear skin and perfect bodies he found so offensive and he said that "those were the kind of guys who picked on me in high school and I was getting even."

Some people just need therapy.:jerkoff:
    Jasun Mark. Crass of the Titans.

Making Pain Pay!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasun View Post
    Some people just need therapy.:jerkoff:
    That's the understatement of the century. :donmike:

OH , by the way... we once had an affiliate who would log in to the LIVE! chats with our models and bad-mouth them.

Tell them that they were stupid or that they were "whores." He would tell them their shows were boring and that they had little dicks.

I banned the guy and cancelled his affiliate account once I found that he was an affiliate... he made a big stink and said "I'm just keeping it real" and "If they can't take it they should go to McDonalds and work there."

I called him so I could personally tell him to "fuck off."

MAN, that felt good.
    Jasun Mark. Crass of the Titans.