Thread: Homosexuality in Jamaica and South Africa

let's pretend we're bunny rabbits

Homosexuality in Jamaica and South Africa

I just listened to a fascinating, yet troubling BBC radio documentary on the problem of rampant homophobia in Jamaica that I wanted to share with everyone:

COMING OUT, Part 1: Jamaica

It was shocking for me to find out how bad things are there. Tho apparently I'm a bit behind, since I've talked to a few friends who already knew about it. Has anyone ever been to Jamaica and seen or heard of this first or even second hand? I realize that most tourists stay within the safety cages of the resorts which are a completely different world.

a quick caveat: it's a rather depressing report. BUT if you stick through and then listen to the awesome PART 2 about conditions in South Africa, it's much more uplifting, especially the interview with the mom at her son's gay wedding.

chelo - ACW
    Unfortunately certain countries are far far away from accepting homosexuals as equal humans with their same rights.

Sad but true, it's not a nice world I know. :hmm:

Quote Originally Posted by chelo - ACW View Post
    Unfortunately certain countries are far far away from accepting homosexuals as equal humans with their same rights.

Sad but true, it's not a nice world I know. :hmm:
    well i think that goes without saying.

I guess my main surprise is that it's in Jamaica, a country I associate with smoking weed and being chilled out...man, was I ever wrong....

chelo - ACW
    Actually it's not very common to smoke weed in Jamaica and it's against the law. One will always associate the country with weed because of Bob Marley but the truth is that it is forbidden and you can spent some time in jail if you get caught smoking it in public places.

Actually it's not very common to smoke weed in Jamaica and it's against the law. One will always associate the country with weed because of Bob Marley but the truth is that it is forbidden and you can spent some time in jail if you get caught smoking it in public places.

now THAT'S interesting... I didn't know that. of course you could fill volumes with what i don't know.. Anyway did you happen to check out the one on South Africa? It sounds like an awesome place for gays.

chelo - ACW
    Looks like a great place in the eyes of the BBC, call me skeptic but I gotta see it to believe it. I wonder if black gays and white gays are looked at in the same way. Probably not. :elvis:

Looks like a great place in the eyes of the BBC, call me skeptic but I gotta see it to believe it. I wonder if black gays and white gays are looked at in the same way. Probably not. :elvis:
    Well, after listened the Part 1, I don't think I need to go there and "test" the thing.
    Pat Cantin
    Gay.Braincash.com
    pcantin@braincash.com