Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: would you buy a website

Gay is the new Black

would you buy a website

If someone bought a domain and built up the site/template for it - would you be willing to buy it IF the template was nice and fit the name?
    Be Who You Are!

I Want To See Bradleys 'B-Unit' deanb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolKnights View Post
    If someone bought a domain and built up the site/template for it - would you be willing to buy it IF the template was nice and fit the name?

Yeah why not, for a lot of people templates / design is the hardest part, so it would be an easy start for a site.
    ICQ# 200-385-093

Think big. Shoot hard.
    Really depends. It would have to be a killer design. Why would I pay for something that I could do/have done myself and the way i want?

Obviously if someone is designing the site, then there will be more of a markup if I either designed it or paid one of the designers that I use. Then I may still not be getting what I really want if I have no input in the design.

Now, if it has Google history, that maybe a different story.
    Lloyd - Stunner Media - ICQ: 216150073
    "The key to success is to risk thinking unconventional thoughts. Convention is the enemy of progress. If you go down just one corridor of thought you never get to see what’s in the rooms leading off it." - Trevor Baylis

Think big. Shoot hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by deanb View Post
    Yeah why not, for a lot of people templates / design is the hardest part, so it would be an easy start for a site.
    You can get good quality design to your exact specs pretty cheap now. though some hate working with designers. So maybe good for a newbie I guess.
    "The key to success is to risk thinking unconventional thoughts. Convention is the enemy of progress. If you go down just one corridor of thought you never get to see what’s in the rooms leading off it." - Trevor Baylis

Quote Originally Posted by abostonboy View Post
    You can get good quality design to your exact specs pretty cheap now. though some hate working with designers. So maybe good for a newbie I guess.
    IdolKnights definitely isn't a newbie designer. I think even basschick remarked that one of his designs was the closest to perfect she has ever seen.
    ICQ# 200-385-093

Quote Originally Posted by IdolKnights View Post
    Not if it was one of your designer friends who made it... NO :worm:

Money down the drain has been my experience
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    I would have to say there are absolutely people out there who would go for this.

I frequently see these ads, usually in the back of some trashy magazine like National Enquirer or sometimes in Entrepreneur or something, with "MAKE BIG MONEY IN THE ADULT INTERNET BUSINESS!!! TURNKEY SITES!! START MAKING CASH TODAY!! and what they basically do is sell unsuspecting chumps a $200 so-so website design by some offshore designer, combined with a bunch of nonexclusive content (usually stills, usually ancient) and a domain name, for something like $2500.

The ads are there month after month, so there are obviously chumps that go for them.

My guess is if you make a nice turnkey setup and sell it at a reasonable price, market it on cozyfrog or one of the newbie boards, there would definitely be people that would go for the simplicity, particularly if they could buy an upgrade that included an Awiz license and some content.

Dunno if that's what you were after, but that's my thought.

Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    I would have to say there are absolutely people out there who would go for this....The ads are there month after month, so there are obviously chumps that go for them.
    That's the point. You'd have to see the site design first and make sure the comps you were shown are actually what the site designer can produce.

People disappearing is a problem in this industry as well. Promises are made, then not delivered, and people disappear.

My only advice is don't spend money you don't expect to lose with one of the kind of schemes IdolNights (Craig) is suggesting. The fact that he suggests a scam as a business plan is suspect in and of itself.

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Quote Originally Posted by Squirt View Post
    That's the point. You'd have to see the site design first and make sure the comps you were shown are actually what the site designer can produce.

People disappearing is a problem in this industry as well. Promises are made, then not delivered, and people disappear.

My only advice is don't spend money you don't expect to lose with one of the kind of schemes IdolNights (Craig) is suggesting. The fact that he suggests a scam as a business plan is suspect in and of itself.
    I don't get where you guys are thinking he is suggesting a scam, I think what he is saying is that he has a website, that he built, but for what ever reason, its done and he doesn't want to go forward, and wonders if anyone would buy something like that.
    ICQ# 200-385-093

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    ah, the limitations of electronic communication.

I wasn't in any way suggesting this was a scam. I was *comparing* it to grossly overpriced scams, but fundamentally, the idea of a turnkey site is a good one for a variety of people, both newbie webmasters who want something to start with, and more experienced webmasters that might, for example, be looking for a value-add or an upsell to an existing site.

Actually, I think if done well and priced fairly, it would be an excellent business model for a designer to make some money and at the same time help out newbie webmasters trying to get started. Squirt's point is well taken about flakes in the industry (and I think the flakes are on both sides, the buyers as well as the designers/sellers), but particularly with something like this, there are ways of resolving the issue such as using an escrow agent, for example.

Gay is the new Black
    WOW

1) It's a domain and prebuilt website - you pick from a list of ALREADY BUILT sites in a shopping cart. one time designs. Buy, change register ownership - or account push (based on who you use as a host) done.

2) This is the first I heard of a "scam"

3) you had examples and conversation from the guy. You also knew the people he said he worked for posted here, and a follow-up with them was as simple as sending them a message.

4) the fucking gull you have to call me out and use the word scam.

5) From our business history, I have never scammed, fucked over or trashed your name, business or dealings. We have exchanged money for services over the last 3 years and the last exchange was 1.5 months ago. (maybe 2, I'm a bit fuzzy)

So why you would blast me, my name and my ethics for a situation you had with someone I know (from another forum as you were told before you got his contact) , told you "they design and told me they designed X and X site, gave you their contact per your request and you said you were happy with him. "he seems real nice"

This is the FIRST I have heard of this. I have no ICQ messages and no GWW messages from you.

I almost feel bad for a few people you have blasted in the past because I can, from this side of the road, see how you twist shit in public and it's fucking crazy. I'm sorry but I honestly have no clue where this comes from and just wow. Fucking wow.

idolknights (craig)
    Be Who You Are!

Gay is the new Black
    Lee, I'm a scammer, scumbag and a piece of shit. You may want to remove me from the MOD list too.
    Be Who You Are!

Megachops

I'm the Designer of said site, you can contact me via icq: 18982172 or via email dru@mcnastydesigns.com. If you were displeased with the design all you needed to do was contact me, which you did not.

If you need assistance just icq me.

Quote Originally Posted by Megachops View Post
    I'm the Designer of said site, you can contact me via icq: 18982172 or via email dru@mcnastydesigns.com. If you were displeased with the design all you needed to do was contact me, which you did not.

If you need assistance just icq me.
    It's ok Megachops (aka Craig) no need.

Been there done that.

Be careful who you do business with people :shithitfan:

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Think big. Shoot hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by deanb View Post
    IdolKnights definitely isn't a newbie designer. I think even basschick remarked that one of his designs was the closest to perfect she has ever seen.
    Dean,

I am not saying he is at all. I just find the whole system flawed for experienced webmasters.

Right at the start there is a problem. I may love the design, but hate the domain name, or I may love the domain name, but hate the design.

Then there is the issue that I am buying a site w/ no Google history or profits. So now it's up to me to make the site profitable.

I guess what I am saying is that with a decent designer and my own domainn name I can get a site built exactly to my specs.

There are tons of sites like these pop up on ebay all the time. Many have KILLER designs, but in all actuality I would have to surf 100 before I would find one that I THINK I might be able to make $$$ with.

Back in the day when ACGOLD was popular and was rebilling like crazy, a whole market came up of webmasters creating ACGOLD sites, getting rebills in the site, then selling it for about 6 months income. That was a good deal. I sold quite a few of them.

Many of the template sites have great designs and some even sell exclusive, but in all honesty the value to me minimal as I can get a designer to do just about anything I want without being tied to a predesigned site or an url not chosen by me.

BTW, I don't have issues with designers not finishing projects I want.

The whole "turnkey" system has gotten a bad rep as most people that buy these types of sites rarely ever make their money back. Part of the reason is they are limited to selling whatever the design dictates they sell. That can be a bitch.

I would only buy a domain with a developed design if it was showing some income, otherwise I would just grab a domain and hire a designer to design what I want to my specs in the exact niche that I want.

My 2 c

p.s. Ask a few of the guys that got a pre-designed site to market Badpuppy how they are doing....