Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "other board" gets a new moderator

On the other hand.... You have different fingers

The "other board" gets a new moderator

Because I think this is probably of interest to the community as a whole, I'll post it here... I've just received word that Patrick Curran is going to be moderating and helping out at GMS.

He's apparently left Epoch and is going into a different industry, but wanted a way to stay in touch with the community.

I haven't had the chance to see Patrick's skills in mediating disputes, but with a background in human resources and being probably one of the most stand-up, well liked and respected people in the gay side of the industry, I really can't imagine a better person to get things back under control at GMS. If it also means that JP is gone, then the combination of those two events should signal a significant, positive shift.

Kudos to Mark and to Patrick. I hope that both will also continue to be contributors here at GWW.

Think big. Shoot hard.
    Who said Jp was gone? I love Patrick. I believe he is Intense Cash Jerry's neighbor. However, I didn't understand the "I am going to be a hands off moderator" post. Aren't mods suppose to be making posts, engaging the community, helping shape the course the board takes? Maybe I am missing something.
    Lloyd - Stunner Media - ICQ: 216150073
    "The key to success is to risk thinking unconventional thoughts. Convention is the enemy of progress. If you go down just one corridor of thought you never get to see what’s in the rooms leading off it." - Trevor Baylis

I Want To See Bradleys 'B-Unit' deanb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by abostonboy View Post
    Who said Jp was gone? I love Patrick. I believe he is Intense Cash Jerry's neighbor. However, I didn't understand the "I am going to be a hands off moderator" post. Aren't mods suppose to be making posts, engaging the community, helping shape the course the board takes? Maybe I am missing something.
    Mark confirmed that Patrick would be the only moderator.
    ICQ# 200-385-093

Quote Originally Posted by deanb View Post
    Mark confirmed that Patrick would be the only moderator.
    That is AMAZING news and I really hope that the statement is at face value and not a case of, for example, JP sticking around acting as a moderator but with a different title.

To answer Lloyd's comment... I think it really depends. GWW is a mostly "hands off" community as far as moderation goes. I think I've had to step in and post a comment to a thread, or send a couple of PMs maybe a small handful of times total since I've been a moderator here. I don't think any of the other moderators have been any more active. That's the point that a lot of people don't seem to get. Competent moderation is very low key and is proactive, so usually, very little effort is required, and if it's done correctly, the board participants should barely be aware that it's even happening.

Of course, the postings that moderators do are (in my opinion, at least) generally less a part of moderation per se and more just the individual (who happens to be a moderator) contributing to the community.

Perhaps with his comment, Patrick (and Mark) are seeking to reassure the remaining GMS posters that the board will not be censored as it was under JP's watch.

All in all, this sounds like a very, very positive move for that community. It's delightful to hear that Mark jumped in so quickly to resolve the issue.

Think big. Shoot hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    GWW is a mostly "hands off" community as far as moderation goes. I think I've had to step in and post a comment to a thread, or send a couple of PMs maybe a small handful of times total since I've been a moderator here. I don't think any of the other moderators have been any more active. That's the point that a lot of people don't seem to get. Competent moderation is very low key and is proactive, so usually, very little effort is required, and if it's done correctly, the board participants should barely be aware that it's even happening.
    Be careful. Looks like a few mods are no longer mods for being hands off.
    "The key to success is to risk thinking unconventional thoughts. Convention is the enemy of progress. If you go down just one corridor of thought you never get to see what’s in the rooms leading off it." - Trevor Baylis

has patrick been active on webmaster boards in the past?

Quote Originally Posted by basschick View Post
    has patrick been active on webmaster boards in the past?

I don't think he has been very active in the past, while that could be a problem, from what I know, GMS is his only responsibility with IntenseCash. I think it would only be fair to give him a chance. I have said in the past I like JP, and I think he has great business ideas, but I don't think moderating a board is one of them. I doubt Patrick will ever call anyone a "blubbercunt" or an "ass hat"
    ICQ# 200-385-093

Looking for content ;)
    i dont think it will change a thing..

Think big. Shoot hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    i dont think it will change a thing..
    It's good PR.

Quote Originally Posted by abostonboy View Post
    It's good PR.
    Thats true, even if nothing really does change, just the appearance of change can affect a bunch. Hell we have a whole presidential candidate based on that.n:cheerleader:
    ICQ# 200-385-093

Think big. Shoot hard.
    As I said, I love Patrick. And I still love Mark.

However, how "newsworthy" is a board getting a moderator? With all due respect to the parties involved, is it the fact that GMS FINALLY has a moderator or the name of the new moderator that is newsworthy.

I honestly don't care who moderates a board as long as SOMEONE does.

Kudos to GMS for finally realizing they need a moderator!

i'd say that after a board has had a moderator that caused a great deal of controversy that a new mod is news. and since the last mod wasn't all that popular as a mod, probably a good idea to get the word out...

I agree that ordinarily another board getting a new moderator is pretty meaningless.

The reason I thought it was newsworthy is because nearly everyone (except JP and Mark) agreed that JP is the world's worst moderator and was actively destroying the GMS community through his arrogance and complete lack of social skills.

The fact that Mark finally realized this and brought someone in who is the polar opposite of JP in terms of social skills and diplomacy will, I think, make an enormous difference in the experiences everyone has in that community. And to the extent that having two (or possibly more) healthy online webmaster communities is beneficial to the gay adult industry as a whole, it's worth at least mentioning.

i dunno. i like mark a lot, but i felt rather betrayed that he allowed jp to go on for as long as he did. i was shocked that so many people were allowed to be attacked and treated so badly and before jp was mod, i was shocked and dismayed that people were allowed to attack upstanding community members - or anyone else - without being stopped.

patrick is a nice person but i thought perhaps someone with experience would have been a good idea. on the other hand, i suppose someone with experience will have existing relationships with other webmasters, and might be accused of favoritism if they take any action.

Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    I agree that ordinarily another board getting a new moderator is pretty meaningless.

The reason I thought it was newsworthy is because nearly everyone (except JP and Mark) agreed that JP is the world's worst moderator and was actively destroying the GMS community through his arrogance and complete lack of social skills.

The fact that Mark finally realized this and brought someone in who is the polar opposite of JP in terms of social skills and diplomacy will, I think, make an enormous difference in the experiences everyone has in that community. And to the extent that having two (or possibly more) healthy online webmaster communities is beneficial to the gay adult industry as a whole, it's worth at least mentioning.

Think big. Shoot hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick View Post

but i thought perhaps someone with experience would have been a good idea.
    It's called on the job training. Let's just hope that it ain't JP that's doing the training.