Thread: Claiming Domestic Partership on Federal Tax Returns

Corey Bryant

Claiming Domestic Partership on Federal Tax Returns

I know - not really fun, but my partner is probably going to have to pay about $70,000 (Federal Income Tax). He sold the house in Encino last year, and when First Data sold, he made a tidy sum (but they did take out taxes on that), and made some other pretty good investments.

I know - might be a long shot but I thought I would try. Anyone know of some good links regarding claiming your partner as a dependent on a tax return? I will keep looking but for the most part I usually am getting sites that are saying how good it is or business sites explaining they support a domestic partner. Thanks!

Latin Niche site - 50% Revshare!! MiamiB's Avatar
    Since you are talking about a significant amount of money I would recommend a couple of hours with a qualified tax attorney. The advice you get here might point you in the right direction BUT why not go right to someone who can give you definitive and accurate legal advice.

Lee
    MiamiBoyz.com
    Online Since 1999!
    Make 50% initial signup AND 50% recurring![/B] http://www.MiamiBoyz.com
    NEW SITE TO PROMOTE - LatinPiss.com

Corey Bryant
    I have suggested that but unfortunatelt his brother does his taxes. He is not out to his family (but they know)... And his brother is a little resentful (he does not make as much money).

A lot of the things are kept in the family and I have tried to get him to talk to another CPA, etc. One CPA in Seattle said he would look at the tax return but probably getting that will be difficult.

I told him to get his brother to take a look in November (since the monthly salary would be the same, but his brother just refused - "not feeling good".

Sure it's good to have / rely on family but I think this time, he needs a few more opinions. I was hoping that someone on here might know someone who deals with this information.

Corey Bryant

Claiming Domestic Partnerships on Federal Tax Returns

Well with a little tweaking of the words I finally found Can You Claim Your Partner as a Dependent on Your Tax Return. Hopefully this will help a few more in these matters.

I did send this over to my partner to show that his brother is wrong (his brother told him $9,000). Most everything is in my partner's name for most purposes.

Of course I would not recommend this for new couples just starting out since things do happen, but after 7 1/2 years things better not matter