Thread: Does Private Registration really make it private?

Making Pain Pay!

Does Private Registration really make it private?

I was buying a new domain today and one of the "upsells" was to "Make it Private" for only $8.00 a year.

Does this actually keep your info from prying eyes, or can someone with some knowledge still get your WhoIs info?

Just curious.
    TropixxxCash.com is a CCBill affiliate program for the male spanking and punishment site TropixxxVIP.com.

:whip:

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    It does, in fact, keep the information out of whois. However, at least with GoDaddy, I was told by a friend (who it happened to) that all someone has to do is send a threatening letter to them and they immediately fold and give up the private info.

I believe that some other registrars require a subpoena or evidence of a legal action, but don't know which are which.

Making Pain Pay!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    It does, in fact, keep the information out of whois. However, at least with GoDaddy, I was told by a friend (who it happened to) that all someone has to do is send a threatening letter to them and they immediately fold and give up the private info.

I believe that some other registrars require a subpoena or evidence of a legal action, but don't know which are which.
    That's kind of what I figured. It keeps the 'normal' people from knowing, but quite frankly, 'normal' people don't even know about whois so I am thinking there is very little point.
    TropixxxCash.com is a CCBill affiliate program for the male spanking and punishment site TropixxxVIP.com.

Life is a dick and when it´s get hard---just fuck it... DEVELISH's Avatar
    Google seems to be a registrar, all registrars have access to the "real" whois database so privacy protecting your data is just for the first wave of "attack"

Registrars are quire reluctant in protecting the whois data - like Chip said an evil email will do magic.

I am using alternate person datas for my domains and use privacy protection... that helps me get rid of all the folks here (location wise) hunting me down
    :-D

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by DEVELISH View Post
    Google seems to be a registrar, all registrars have access to the "real" whois database so privacy protecting your data is just for the first wave of "attack"
    Actually, that isn't true. A registrar doesn't have any more access to Whois information than what one can see with whois.sc or any other lookup tool. That was one of the big issues when Registerfly went south... they had the only database that correlated their "private" registrations, and their database was in shambles, so when GoDaddy, who acquired the domains that Registerfly had held, was trying to get everything straightened out, there were cases where they had no idea who owned some of the domains that had been protected by Registerfly "privacy."

And I wouldn't be surprised if Google is an accredited registrar, but I've never seen them offering domain registration services.

Think big. Shoot hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post

And I wouldn't be surprised if Google is an accredited registrar, but I've never seen them offering domain registration services.
    They are actually. Rumor has it that they did it because of blogger. They want to offer xyz.com to blogspot.

Just a rumor. Who the hell knows? But they are an accredited registrar.
    Lloyd - Stunner Media - ICQ: 216150073
    "The key to success is to risk thinking unconventional thoughts. Convention is the enemy of progress. If you go down just one corridor of thought you never get to see what’s in the rooms leading off it." - Trevor Baylis

desslock
    I register my important domains through Network Solutions. Their private registration is $9/yr.. and I pay it.

Other benefits to private registration include spammers not getting your admin contact info ... like your email to constantly peddle domain registration and hosting services. With this information, you have more control of your domain, minimizing the chances of a hacker pirating it.

Steve

Making Pain Pay!
    Quote Originally Posted by desslock View Post
    Other benefits to private registration include spammers not getting your admin contact info ... like your email to constantly peddle domain registration and hosting services. With this information, you have more control of your domain, minimizing the chances of a hacker pirating it.

Steve
    Never thought of that aspect, and for that alone, I think it is worth the extra $9 a year! Thanks Steve.

Life is a dick and when it´s get hard---just fuck it... DEVELISH's Avatar
    Namecheap.com is $9.29 a year (first year includes the $2.88 whois protection)

DEV
    :-D

Think big. Shoot hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by desslock View Post
    I register my important domains through Network Solutions. Their private registration is $9/yr.. and I pay it.

Steve
    You pay $35 a year for a domain reg from them?
    Lloyd - Stunner Media - ICQ: 216150073
    "The key to success is to risk thinking unconventional thoughts. Convention is the enemy of progress. If you go down just one corridor of thought you never get to see what’s in the rooms leading off it." - Trevor Baylis

desslock
    It's $35 for one year typically. I'll renew usually for 2 or 3, and it's cheaper...twentysomething.

I know they cost more, but for my breadbasket domains, I keep returning. I've watched plenty of fly-by-night El Cheapo registrars fold up or get bought.

I do register at GoDaddy for small projects.

Steve