Thread: WordPress Media Plugin question

Did someone say cocktail? steven619's Avatar

WordPress Media Plugin question

Anyone know of a way to not have media files auto load till you click on them in WordPress?

I have some QT, WMV, and Flash videos I want to add to a WordPress blog but I want to have a simple image (poster) that you click on and then it loads. That way is someone has a slow connection or no interest in viewing the videos they don't have to suffer the extra download time.

I tried http://www.mobvcasting.com and it shows up but does nothing to add what is needed. And.. it is only QT files.

Steven
    Steven: 619-269-7442 x401
    Red Apple Media
    Hosting, Development, and video Streaming
    San Diego, CA
    Home PageFacebook

Any decent man you ever get is gonna find out you're half dyke and RUN. RiotRacer's Avatar
    usually, if you are just embedding videos straight into wordpress, w/o using a plugin or anything- You can just edit/add code that's something like "auto play=no" I know that is certainly the case with flash video and wp.

wordpress issue

Thank you for your note... I believe, auto play=no would just stop the video from playing. It would still want to download in full and wait for someone to press is.

I'm also looking at http://www.solitude.dk/archives/embedquicktime/ but not having a great time getting it to work.

Much like the youtube plugin, the video will show a "poster" or image till someone clicks on it and then it will start to download and play.
    Red Apple Media
    San Diego, CA
    Home PageFacebook

quicktime solved

Okay... 6 hours later and it works...

I used http://www.solitude.dk/archives/embe...#codegenerator
    Added the few files needed to the domain, added the plugin to WordPress and did a few tests.

I had to try this twice as the first time didn't work well or I did something wrong.

I'm working on changing the plugin to give more features like browsing files from server or local machine while adding all the other media tags for size, controller, linking.... the list goes on and on.

If you want to take a peek at the before, after, and during you can at www.gayadultblog.com. I will be fixing the other NON hacked videos in the next day or two.

I'll add the hot linking rejection script so I will plug a few more bandwidth leaks and we are ready to roll. This blog is only a week old so be kind, I only share with the group so you can see what the heck I'm taking about.

Great tool and is suppose to also work with other media files. The biggest advantage of course, is the file will not load TILL the user wants it to. This will increase load time and reduce bandwidth.

If the page is not super fast remember... I have a few videos that are loading when you first go to it. Those will be changed and you revisit and see how much faster it will be.

See most of you in Phoenix so I can show you what this looks like on the I Phone (REALLY COOL... UBER COOL).

My next project will be finishing up the new Apple Server for quicktime, podcasting, and such.
    Red Apple Media
    San Diego, CA
    Home PageFacebook

TopJock
    I believe the amp WordPress plugin (Anarchy Media Player) dose everything you need and more. I use it on my blogs and love it.

-TJ

Anarchy

TJ,

Thank you for your note. I installed Anarchy and had a tough time with the "enhanced" editor. But after a few tries I got it to show up.

I have used Anarchy for flash embedding but not really quicktime. I need something that does what is called a "poster frame" or image that can be used that the user must click on first (href of sorts) before the video starts to preload. That way I can reduce the server and site load and also save on bandwidth. Anarchy didn't support that, or at least I didn't see where. The other one I used (mentioned in the thread) did poster frames pretty well.
    Red Apple Media
    San Diego, CA
    Home PageFacebook

TopJock
    I'm using it on kidracer-not.com just for those reasons.

One thing that i like is if i upload a move such as

my_quicktime_movie.mov

i can also upload

my_quicktime_movie.mov.jpg

and it will use that for the 'preview' image.

Only problem is it only works with quicktime movies for some odd reason.

I'm still playing with it but so far it has been better the all the other plugins i've tried to use. It actually has the good parts from the top three video plugins built into it.

quicktime

I was reading something about the poster images working with quicktime and even windows media but that was about it. Windows having some issues and flash having a lot of issues. I'll keep playing around.
    Red Apple Media
    San Diego, CA
    Home PageFacebook