Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you manage projects?

On the other hand.... You have different fingers

How do you manage projects?

Like many adult companies, we have workers spread out around the globe, and AJ and I frequently work from our homes.

I'm curious what other companies do as far as managing projects. For a long time, AJ and I maintained separate "to-do" lists for ourselves and our workers, updated through emails and phonecalls multiple times a day.

Just recently, I got annoyed at how difficult it was to keep on top of a million different projects and started looking at project management software. We settled on Project Pier, an open source web-based project manager that's very similar to BaseCamp, an (expensive) commercial product.

It's been a Godsend for me. A typical project might be a DVD... in which we capture and edit and prepare the scenes, make the slipsheet, prepare menus and authoring assets, review and create the 2257 docs for it, author it, test it, review it, make changes, send to manufacturing, prepare support materials, etc.

With the project software, we create all the subtasks, assign them to the various people (AJ, myself, our editor, our designer, etc.) and the system handles due dates, emails everyone, collects all the notes/assets/messages in one place, and allows us to see what's on time, what's late, etc.

Even for simple stuff ("I need pics selected for the new gallery designs"), putting it in the project system makes sure that the ball doesn't get dropped, as happens occasionally with emails.

For my own projects that don't involve anyone else, I use a "scancard system" that keeps track of stuff on small paper notes that also keep me organized.

Perhaps we're really late to the party, but I'm really curious how other people manage projects for their businesses? High tech, low tech, both?

Homosexuals cannot biologically reproduce children; therefore, they must recruit our children. chubbs's Avatar
    I have bad project management skills. I tend to start something new before ending teh 3 or 4 things I am currently working on.

Right now I am in the middle of launching 15 tgp's, 28 blogs, a digg type site, 5 tube sites, 1 paysite, 1 industry blog and 1 mainstream social networking site.

UGH!!!!

--Chubbs

phil450studio
    For now we have a lowtech project maintenance. We have no software or programs that can handle project management. But one thing for sure, we can handle our projects for we have a stuff with great skills and well experience in this field of work.. Like design, we have a skilled designer that have unique work and always think big. As for scripts, we also have a senior programmer on the line.. For now we are working on the comfort of our home but still we are a team and always cope with the work assigned.

dont be jealous becuase i'm beautiful, be jealous because i just fucked your boyfriend
    We use BaseCamp. It is expensive because it is a recurring payment. Though I think we only pay like $50/mo. But, I agree that is still expensive. I'd be curious to see how you like your product in a few weeks. I've thought of replacing basecamp.

Hey, Joe,

Projectpier was written as an opensource alternative to Basecamp. I haven't used Basecamp but from what I understand, the two are supposed to be pretty similar.

It took only a few minutes to install ProjectPier on our server, and it's free, so you might give it a shot. I believe there is a way of importing Basecamp files but I'm not sure.

Also, Projectpier is the open source fork of another product, activeCollab. I think activeCollab is $300 or something and is supposed to be a somewhat more feature-rich version, designed to directly compete with Basecamp.

For now, we aren't doing a lot of super fancy stuff, but we've been really happy with ProjectPier in the month or so we've been using it.

I'm not gay; I'm British! deejne's Avatar
    very carefully

D.J. / JuicyAds.com / Account Executive / The #1 Adult Advertising Network
    icq 391542747 / skype deejne / email dj (at) juicyads.com

I've got more gay in my little pinky, than you have in your entire body
    Only for my own projects I use Stickies, the virtual ones. They're free. From Zhorn software (the board doesn't allow me to post a URL yet)
    Bert

TwinkPay

Creating Stars, One Twink at a Time. aftonnills's Avatar
    I'm glad I read this thread. I've been in need of some good management software, something to assist in that department.

Until now, projects have been managed by a spiral notebook(s). I'm so bad when it comes to working off of a list, and am working very hard to put that into play. I don't outsource any of my projects, it's all done in house by myself, so I just take one project at a time. The creative juices aren't always flowing, so I bounce from project to project. But I feel a management program could really assist me in keeping on track, perhaps getting things done a lot more efficiently. So, thanks for the tip. ;-)
    Twink Content Production
    Website Official Afton Nills Blog

Chris, if you're doing it all yourself and used to a paper system, you might really like the Scancard System.

http://www.executivegallery.com/Pages/Chairman.html

It's totally old school and designed for luddites who don't know how to turn on a computer, but honestly, I find it to be an incredibly useful and powerful system for managing my own projects. You keep each project on one of the cards and you can see at a glance all of your projects, update things as you do them.

I carry mine when I travel and it enables me to keep track of everything, and as I finish a project, I toss the card associated with it, so everything stays neat and organized. I've used it for almost 10 years now.

Creating Stars, One Twink at a Time. aftonnills's Avatar
    LOL, no I'm so not a paper person. That's why I have 10 or 15 notebooks full of shit. I think it's just pure laziness, but I'm working hard to turn that around. Perhaps the software will assist in that ;-)
    Twink Content Production
    Website Official Afton Nills Blog

LOVE 4 SALE OR LEASE SEX MONTHLY! :) longboardjim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by asiaboy View Post
    Only for my own projects I use Stickies, the virtual ones. They're free. From Zhorn software (the board doesn't allow me to post a URL yet)
    I still use the real ones!

jim

chip turned me onto the scancard system, and it's really pretty handy.

but for those who want something simple for their computer, perhaps this would be helpful http://www.3m.com/us/office/postit/d...tal_notes.html

yes, it's virtual post-it notes. you can stick on - or a bunch - on your desktop. you can make bulletin boards. looks pretty good if all you want is organizing without intense detail...

How long have you been gay?
    There's software for this stuff?!?

LOL holy shit...

I mean our stuff is nowhere near as complicated as your stuff, chip, but it's not hard to drop the ball if there isn't someone who oversees projects and clients.

We're not a program or anything, we build sites for clients, but once upon a time before I got promoted there was a certain lack of sequence in client-delivery due to miscommunication.

For example if the client decided to contact the sales rep (for whatever reason) all the time instead of someone (even by email) that could help him or her directly... then the chances of getting service was kinda like 50/50.

I solved that problem and honestly only keep track of all this new site construction, completion, delivery stuff on a big marker board near my desk.

Online: date
    Completed: date
    Submitted to billing: date
    Approved: date
    Sign-off: date

Then I use windex and a rag, and take'em off .
    Complete Video Chat Solution

Phone: 1-866-892-5122 (Ext. 2)

AJ still uses a marker board for many of his individual projects, just as I use my Scancard system for mine.

I think both work well; the main reason I like the scancard system is I can carry all the project lists with me when I go somewhere for a meeting or whatever.

that's why i liked the scancard book - i can study my projects and consider my next moves while i'm not at the computer.

btw, for those who want something on a server so several people can take part, there's bugzilla, a free system from the mozilla folks. we used it on one team i worked with and it really helped.