Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Encoding WMV on MAC

blah blah blah...

Encoding WMV on MAC

Is it not possible to encode movies in WMV format on MACs? My new editor is having the hardest time encoding vids to WMV on his MAC. And when he does, the video jumps and skips and the audio is off.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks guys!

Allan

blah blah blah...
    ps...he's using Final Cut and using Visual Hub to convert Quicktime to WMV

Making Pain Pay!
    There are programs that will do it, but I never had much luck, same issues. For us, it was just a lot easier to put them in .AVI, which plays in a WMV player.

Sorry could not be much more help, but unless you really need them in WMV, avi is a better way to go with Mac.
    TropixxxCash.com is a CCBill affiliate program for the male spanking and punishment site TropixxxVIP.com.

:whip:

Making Pain Pay!
    Quote Originally Posted by GPallan View Post
    ps...he's using Final Cut and using Visual Hub to convert Quicktime to WMV
    Depending on how Mac Savy he is, he can try having him allocate more virtual memory to FCP and Visual Hub.

http://developer.apple.com/documenta...c/uid/20001881

It is a really hard thing to do though, and can mess up a lot of things if done wrong.
    TropixxxCash.com is a CCBill affiliate program for the male spanking and punishment site TropixxxVIP.com.

blah blah blah...
    Thanks TS!

Strange!? What is every other website out there doing that provide WMV in their member's area? My old editor was using a PC, so we never had any problems. But don't most sites (and editors) use MACs for editing anyway? How are they encoding WMV? Thanks...

Allan

Quote Originally Posted by TropixxxStudios View Post
    There are programs that will do it, but I never had much luck, same issues. For us, it was just a lot easier to put them in .AVI, which plays in a WMV player.

Sorry could not be much more help, but unless you really need them in WMV, avi is a better way to go with Mac.

Making Pain Pay!
    Quote Originally Posted by GPallan View Post
    Thanks TS!

Strange!? What is every other website out there doing that provide WMV in their member's area? My old editor was using a PC, so we never had any problems. But don't most sites (and editors) use MACs for editing anyway? How are they encoding WMV? Thanks...

Allan
    I always wondered the same thing, then just started using avi, and went on. I will be interested in hearing anyone else's feedback too.

About 6 months ago I actually took 90% of the WMV/AVI files off our site and I did not hear one complaint.

a vaincre sans peril,on triomphe sans gloire.... donatien's Avatar
    i would suggest you to buy the flip4mac soltion ...i am on mac and had this conversion problem
    it bought it 6 months ago ...it works very well ,if i remember right, the price was about 150 $ ...
    http://www.flip4mac.com

Agreed, we have seen a lot of success with Episode from Flip4Mac.
    They have a trial version to try it.
    The quality is much better than other encoders for Mac.
    And it is worth the few extra dollars.

http://www.flip4mac.com/episode.htm
    Gary
    CCBill

I've always been openly gay. It would never occur to me to behave otherwise.
    Episode Pro is the very best. Worth every penny and flies on the Mac.

sorenson squeeze has a mac version as well as a pc version.
    http://www.sorensonmedia.com/pages/?pageID=2 (bottom of page)

sorenson is one of the best encoders, if not the best if you don't want to use hardware as well as software - especially if you need to batch. it's simple, powerful and isn't a system hog.

I have to respectfully disagree. I purchased Sorenson and was really disappointed at the number of bugs including one that is directly related to the ability to watermark. I was told over and over by Sorenson tech support that they would be fixing this known bug but it never happened. I have to say that it is the one piece of software that I have purchased that I am the most disappointed in.

Avoid at all costs.

what about if they're not using it to watermark?

it sure does everything i want from a program, and it does it well... but then i don't watermark in the batching process, so i haven't encountered the bug. guess everyone has different needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Manifest_M View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree. I purchased Sorenson and was really disappointed at the number of bugs including one that is directly related to the ability to watermark. I was told over and over by Sorenson tech support that they would be fixing this known bug but it never happened. I have to say that it is the one piece of software that I have purchased that I am the most disappointed in.

Avoid at all costs.

I export to a Quicktime and then use Sorensen Squeeze to encode over to WMV. Best results I've found.
    Jasun Mark. Crass of the Titans.

It wasn't only the watermarking issue (which is a big problem in my book) but the fact that batch encoding different formats (MOV WMV FLV) always caused it to crash. Certain WMV files also had a definite green tinge when the source video was on the dark side (high contrast lighting or moody dark backgrounds)

So to make it work, I had to not mix formats, not encode more then one file at a time which made the batch feature almost pointless. Our 5 minute video clips are about 3gig prior to encoding down to 60mg so it takes a lot of muscle to make that happen and Sorenson came up lacking.

Episode Pro gives me no trouble at all. It will take everything I push at it and sends it back looking great. I can put in four 5 minute clips at 3gig a piece and 4 hours later I get back 24 encoded clips in two formats and three sizes each. Worth every penny. We do shoot in prosumer hd 16:9 with stereo audio.

blah blah blah...
    Thanks a lot guys! I'm going to get my editor to work with Sorenson Squeeze and see if we can come up with a solution. Thanks again,

Allan