Thread: Well im pissed off now!

You don't have to be straight to be in the Army; you just have to be able to shoot straight. ponyboy's Avatar

Well im pissed off now!

Well im pissed off now! Most of you guys know that I’m level headed person but I was just pushed to far by one of my hosting companies. Something happened to my ftp program and I lost my entire log in information and when I started a ticket little did I know it was going to be a giant pain in the ass with Nat Net! I just don’t have one blog but 9 of them.

So I really need one password for them all, now come on they give you some crazy letters and numbers for each one and you have to remember them, or write them down and have to go back each time, fing that bull.

I tried to work a-out a few different passwords with them so a simple person like myself can remember them but no way! Not even my lover’s middle name in mandarin Chinese with a number.

So now I need to find another hosting company, that is easy to work with.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Get in touch with Bill Vanvorst over there, im sure he will be able to sort you out with something.

Dont forget, a lot of Nat Nets procedures are put in place by default to allow their clients to have the maximum amount of security as possible.

I am sure if you get in touch with Bill he will be able to help you out with this issue, he has ALWAYS been there for me when i have needed something above and beyond their normal operating procedures.

Regards,

Lee

You don't have to be straight to be in the Army; you just have to be able to shoot straight. ponyboy's Avatar
    Hay Lee
    Sorry I had to come back to the boards with me upset, but I had lost it totally with them! Im looking for a new company. I’ve herd it all about security and all, but the last straw was when I came up with a password in Chinese with a number and they said no.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    We have some passwords at NatNet that we defined and had them set for us. We also have the same password for several things, on several different servers, such as FTP. They can set up to have one password that will login to a bunch of sites on one server, and still have individual logins that only login to one of the sites.

They do have a couple of newer staff, so it's possible you got somebody that was more interested in policy than in making the customer happy... but I'm sure that person will get some training as soon as word gets back that this has happened and made it to the boards.

As far as choosing our own passwords, it took a little bit of bitching, but it didn't even have to get to Bill (and btw, like Lee, I've never had an issue that Bill couldn't solve.) In our case, Tomas took care of it for us.

Call up Tomas and explain the situation and I'm sure he'll accommodate you. If he doesn't, Bill will.

Believe me, I've been with more than a dozen hosts over the past 5 years, and you simply won't find another host that offers the level of friendly, competent, and fast support you get at NatNet, so it would be really dumb (IMHO) to move to a different host over a password issue.

you know the thing is I shouldn't have to bitch and wine like a little girl to get what I want. If a customer comes to me and it can be done, its done, even at 4pm on a Friday.

we all work long and hard, some with two jobs others are lucky just doing this. When I have a hard time updating my blogs, its like tacking 1/4 of my money out of my mouth.

I'm not defending NatNet, and I'm not invalidating your problems, but to give you an example, I had a situation that was a little bit unusual (we have some nonstandard setups on a couple of our servers) and I called in at what was about 2am NatNet time on a Sunday night.

The tech on duty said he wasn't sure how to resolve the issue, but he'd wake up the person who knew to get an answer. I said not to bother, it wasn't at all urgent, but to just wait till the day crew came in and we'd get it resolved then.

Ten minutes later I got a ticket that the issue had been resolved.

Likewise, I've had billing-related tickets asking questions about bandwidth utilization at 11pm on a Friday night that got forwarded to, and answered by, Bill (who is the president of NatNet) within about 15 minutes.

Not sure why your experience is so different than the one we've consistently been having, I'm just saying they have the bar set so high, I'm sure that Bill would be horrified to know that you're having this experience. Have you at least called him and given him a chance to make things right?

does anyone have Bill's e-mail address, ill write him but will not hold my breath

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Send in a support ticket and put Bills name in the subject.

you will get a reply within 5 mins i would bet from Bill directly, thats normally what i end up doing

Regards,

Lee

ok i worte him

How long have you been gay?
    Hi Pony Boy....

My name is Tony Morgan and I own NationalNet. I can assure you that I will have my people on this in about 5 minutes from right now, if they are not already.

So that you know, we take security very seriously and maybe we even went a little overboard in your case...for that I do apologize, but I guarantee you that we will make you happy at any and all costs. You have my word on it.

--T

How long have you been gay?
    Hey Pony Boy....

I spoke with my employees at the NOC and I now can see their point a little more clearly. I am sure there is something that we can do to work this out and still keep you as a customer. With that said, however, there is just no way that we can have a common dictionary word and even a number with it be an access password to a shared server. If you were on a dedicated server then maybe, but since there are other people on your server then we have to protect their interests, as well as yours.

Now, I can take a minute and teach you a little trick that will help you (and maybe others) come up with secure, yet easy to remember passwords. Try using words that are easy for you to remember but spelling them using alternative characters.....for example, I would turn PONYBOY into PoN33b0y. It is always ideal to use 8 characters, btw. Of course, I would shy away from using my nickname for a server password even if it is done with alternative letters and numbers. I like using songs that I like....for example, the hottest song in the USA right now has the following line in it...."Apple Bottom Jeans...Boots With The Fur"....so if I were going to make a password out of that I would take the first letters of each word...so it would be something like @BJBwtf! (this one is even easier to type because it uses the first 4 characters with the shift held down then the next 3 with it off then the last one is just an exclamation point to make it 8 total characters.

These are passwords that a simple "dictionary program" will not guess in about 10 minutes like so many can. I am sure that you can understand. How bad would you hate me if I came to you one day and said that because someone else on your server had an easy to crack password that all of your information was compromised? You would be mad as hell at me....and for good cause. Because we are this strict we keep all of our customers happy....and hopefully you too

Now, I hope none of you get the idea to go use any of the passwords that I have tried out here on this thread. Please note that once these "crack" programs learn a new password, it adds it to the file and will use it over and over and over again because people are likely to use the same password in multiple arenas. So please do not try to use the passwords that I gave as examples...I expect to see them in the dictionary lists on these programs pretty quickly.

I hope this helps, Pony Boy....Bill VanVorst will be following up via email real soon and I hope we can make you happy and make sure we keep all of our customers secure at the same time!!!

Thanks!!!

--T

Think big. Shoot hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
    Well im pissed off now! Most of you guys know that I’m level headed person but I was just pushed to far by one of my hosting companies. Something happened to my ftp program and I lost my entire log in information and when I started a ticket little did I know it was going to be a giant pain in the ass with Nat Net! I just don’t have one blog but 9 of them.

So I really need one password for them all, now come on they give you some crazy letters and numbers for each one and you have to remember them, or write them down and have to go back each time, fing that bull.

I tried to work a-out a few different passwords with them so a simple person like myself can remember them but no way! Not even my lover’s middle name in mandarin Chinese with a number.

So now I need to find another hosting company, that is easy to work with.
    Can't you change the PWs in your blogs once you get the PW?
    Lloyd - Stunner Media - ICQ: 216150073
    "The key to success is to risk thinking unconventional thoughts. Convention is the enemy of progress. If you go down just one corridor of thought you never get to see what’s in the rooms leading off it." - Trevor Baylis

Madame0120
    We use software called RoboForm, but also have company standards for choosing passwords.