While most people are more open minded nowadays, bisexuals can still come under fire from both gay and straight people.

There's no denying that bisexuality has been a bit of a fashion statement in recent years. Let's face it, if you never go out with anyone of the same gender it won't really be questioned. But don't genuine bisexuals deserve a bit more respect than tags like “hetero-flexible” and “fence sitter” suggest?

Let's remember that the rainbow flag is supposed to be a symbol of diversity, we're not all gay and straight. If I went into my local gay club (or some online service like biloves.com, a Web site for bisexual and bicurious looking to explore their sexuality) there would be a few dirty looks as I'm currently going out with someone of the opposite gender. Obviously, it's some sort of statement. It couldn't just be that I swing both ways.

There's a great deal of sexual and sexuality politics. For example, I've seen bi girls insisting they are gay and find men repulsive when they're going out with a girl. It seems some sections of the gay community are far happier to accept “properly” gay people that bisexuals. While I don't want to tar every gay person with the same brush, there are a number of people that think if you're bisexual you've just not decided yet.

Superficially, some would say bisexual people have it easier than gay people as they have the “option” of living a straight life. As if your sexuality is a lifestyle choice. It seems bizarre that a community that is generally so accepting still holds some prejudice. Why should I feel I have to apologies for not being “fully” gay?

Thankfully, many people are open minded and happy to accept you for who you are. Not every gay person is militant and believes you're letting the side down by going out with someone of the opposite gender. And many people acknowledge that sexuality can be fluid. A gay person may be attracted to someone of the opposite gender in the same way a straight person could find a spark with one particular person of the same sex. We are not just our sexuality, so let's start being inclusive and stop creating barriers.