Thread: Video Compression

I've always been openly gay. It would never occur to me to behave otherwise.

Video Compression

Okay folks. I need to find someone to handle our video compression. It has been pointed out that even with the cdn, our videos do not load as fast as some other peoples. I have worked on this till I am ready to pull out my hair so it is time to hire a real professional. I have hired a couple of folks in the past and not been pleased with the results.

Our stuff plays great for me and most of our members. However, when my business partner tests things in CA they are slow to load and when he tries the videos from other folks it is not slow. So clearly I am doing something wrong.

So here is the question: Where can I find a great encoder to handle our work. We have about 12 20 minute clips each month in two formats and three sizes. It could well be that we need to change over to a streaming server (flash or WMV) and go that route.

We have found a couple really good videographers and three editors so that part is now handled.

Did someone say cocktail? steven619's Avatar

encoding

If you send me a sample (copy of a master) on DV Cam or DVD we can give you some samples and you can test. Then if they are better we can talk about pricing and what we can do.

For the most part, CDN is good but it is still only limited to "level 3" system. It is a service that is resold through people like CaveCreek. I'm a believe that a multi homed system that users "quickest path" in the routes with a mix of tier 1 bandwidth will be faster for most users then one provider. To me, a good mix would include ATT, Cox and Timer Warner along with Level(3). Never (repeat never) Cogent.

If you have a video that is encoded at a HQ or High Bit Rate you may run into the issue of the end users not having the bandwidth to stream or download quickly. Most of the US still have only DSL (or worse). If you use a large window or large bit rate it may appear slow to the user but the problem is not with the hosting company but the end user.

If interested drop me a note.
    Steven: 619-269-7442 x401
    Red Apple Media
    Hosting, Development, and video Streaming
    San Diego, CA
    Home PageFacebook

obviously if the videos work great for everyone except for one person, the problem is not the videos. it sounds like the most likely problem is the route your partner's internet connection takes to get to your site. there's not a lot to do about that except have him change to another internet service provider. or perhaps other sites have unlimited and burstable lines on a bigger pipe?

why not have him do traceroutes at a couple times of day, plus pings from his computer to the site? then you'll have an idea of what's up.

How long have you been gay?
    We can compress your vids in to flv to make it fast loading.. That is if you like to try us.

KICK ASS WEB DESIGN
    ppixel01@gmail.com