Thread: Streaming Server

Red Axe Programmers

Streaming Server

Hi Everyone,

Is anyone using a open source streaming video server for their website?

I've already found some interesting solutions, but I really love to hear what other webmasters are using and their experience with it.

Thanks Arian

How long have you been gay?
    Hello Abstract,

While we have deployed various types of solutions for streaming the most common seems to be Windows based. While I am not an expert on it, I would certainly be happy to coordinate a conference call with one of our engineers who is, he is always happy to discuss the solution we can deploy.

Thanks in advance
    Mark M, 727-433-0745
    MMemmer@CaroHosting.com Support is everything!
    ICQ# 40467849, AIM MMemmer333

Did someone say cocktail? steven619's Avatar

open source

I'm alway a bit shy of "open source" application because when somethings fails and your business depends on video going out.. you want someone to call other then your developers.

That last open source we looked at was helix but opted for a Mac Server instead. It has wonderful reporting and built in features.

For the most part, our customers use Windows streaming with a SQL backend for live reporting. And since the new version of server 08 will allow us to develop cross browser / cross OS systems we will focus on efforts and shell out the $800 per license for Windows Server.

Mac quicktime streaming is built in but a mac server starts around $8000 unless you want to stick an normal non-server grade mac in a data center.

The other quest we will start on in the newest flash server. Again, there are open source choices out there.. but when you really need help from the author isn't it nice to know you can call them?
    Steven: 619-269-7442 x401
    Red Apple Media
    Hosting, Development, and video Streaming
    San Diego, CA
    Home PageFacebook

We can setup free flash streaming serves based on a proprietary solution, or a windows streaming server for the extra microsoft licensing fee
    Luke H.
    Marketing Director
    Zbuckz.com, Jbuckz.com, Dickbank.com, Glamourbuckz.com

scwebmaster
    We use APTHost for our stuff. We use red5 for our flash server. We have no problems.
    Brian H.

Affiliate Relations / Advertising
    AIM: FinelineBrian