Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manhunt.net and the Republican Party - What's the scoop?

I'm a farmhand on your dad's rooster ranch. haganxy's Avatar

Manhunt.net and the Republican Party - What's the scoop?

i know, i know...this is "old" news for everyone, but i'm a little behind, ok?

what's the scoop with the whole Manhunt.net and Republican Party issue? i guess the owner or the board of Manhunt.net donated the max allowed amount to the McCain/Palin campaign?

can somebody fill me in with the details? i'm totally in the dark.

ok, i'm the first to admit that i'm totally IGNORANT on this topic. i don't know the details of what happened, and i never even had a Manhunt account (i cruise for sex the old fashioned way..in bars and restrooms and parks and such).

all my friends are freaking out and everyone i know has cancelled their Manhunt account. what is this about? my friends who work for companies who advertise on Manhunt have gotten hate mail. the companies who advertise on Manhunt have been asked by their customers to pull their advertising from Manhunt or the customers will cancel? a friend of mine had 3 or 4 customers threatening to chargeback if their company did not pull their ads from Manhunt immediately.

what is the meaning of this madness? i just don't understand. you can be gay AND republican, right? i don't see a problem with that. and who's business is it where a company spends their money?

is this paranoia? ignorance? people just going along with the crowd?
    hagan - IT nerd
    PrideBucks.com

Dzinerbear
    Jonathan Crutchley, one of the owners of Manhunt, donated the max allowed to the McCain campaign.

The shit hit the fan.

The McCain campaign returned his donation.

The Manhunt board asked Crutchley to resign his seat, which he did.

Here's an article that will give you some background: http://news.pinkpaper.com/NewsStory.aspx?id=312

In the back of my mind, I wonder if Crutchley donated to McCain knowing full well that McCain would return the funds. Kind of an interesting way to get McCain to give his point of view about gay people without actually having to ask him. How many gay men out there thought: if McCain doesn't want gay money, then he's not getting my vote. Still, it'd be a rather risky move to risk one's company and reputation to make a point. But it's worth thinking about.

Cheers
    Michael

CamCruise
    It was great advertising for manhunt. Just think how many people has gone to that site. I bet they made a ton of sign ups.
    And it did not cost them a thing. All they had to do is give the money and let it leak that they gave it.
    They new full well that the money would be returned.
    It was a great stunt.

mrmax
    I know John Crutchley and had dinner with him Friday night. He talked about what happened.
    He's a member of the Log Cabin Republicans and years back McCain spoke at LCR events and asked for their help which was a big deal that a major political figure would ask for support from a gay group, especially back then when he was running against Bush for pres. So it looks like McCain is the gay-friendliest and most open minded of the republicans running for office.
    Especially this election, when back in March the choices were anti-gay Romney, anti-gay Huckabee, and whoever else was running. And he said that he believes the country is safer with McCain as president than with Obama.

Crutchley gave the donation back in March, but the news about it didn't break until now. The Huffington Post published the donation with a map to his house, which I thought was a nasty thing to do.

He also said that Obama is against same sex marriage as well.
    If you look at McCain's record on gay issues and Obama's, theres not much difference.
    They both voted against the Federal Marriage Amendment, but both are against same sex marriage.
    http://my.opera.com/steffens/blog/20...ment-on-federa
    Here's McCain's record with the LCR and gay rights.
    http://online.logcabin.org/issues/elections_2008.html

Manhunt has done a lot for the gay community including safe sex education.
    Anyways they asked him to step down as chairman and he did.

btw I personally am not a republican or a democrat, I think think it's all bullshit and most politicians are liars so I dont pay attention to politics.
    I just know John and admire him for his success that he got by working. He's actually a great guy who gives money to the gay community.

What do you consider 'good sex'? rawTOP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmax View Post
    If you look at McCain's record on gay issues and Obama's, theres not much difference.
    Sorry for my French, but that's just BULLSHIT... This rundown is courtesy of a reader of my blog...

Where the Presidential Candidates Stand (Gay Issues)

Employment Non-Discrimination
    Obama - Supports ending employment discrimination against the ENTIRE GLBT community
    McCain - Cast a deciding vote against the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA)

Don’ Ask Don’t Tell (DADT)
    Obama - Opposes the DADT policy
    McCain - Believes that GLBT people should not be allowed to serve openly, and supports DADT. He said, “My view is that in the case of the military, the DADT policy was appropriate. And I also believe that - that gays should not be in the military.”

Relationship Recognition
    Obama - Supports repeal of Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), Voted against the Federal Marriage Amendment (FMA), Supports civil unions and domestic partnerships, Supports family benefits for same-sex partners of federal employees, Opposes allowing civil marriage for same-sex couples.
    McCain - Voted for and supports DOMA, which denies couples federal benefits, Voted against FMA, but campaigned for a state amendment that would have banned civil unions and domestic partnerships, Does not support family benefits for partners of federal employees, Opposes allowing civil marriage for same-sex couples.

Hate Crimes
    Obama - Supports inclusive legislation to protect the ENTIRE GLBT community against bias-motivated violence.
    McCain - Voted against hate crimes legislation three times.

HIV/AIDS
    Obama - Supports Ryan White Comprehensive AIDS Resources Emergency Act (CARE) and co-sponsored the Medicaid Early Treatment for HIV Act (ETHA). Supports comprehensive sex education aimed at preventing disease.
    McCain - Has never co-sponsored Ryan White or ETHA, and voted for Jesse Helms strategy to remove funding aimed at protecting the GLBT community from HIV/AIDS. Supports abstinence only education that leaves out GLBT people and is ineffective in combating the spread of HIV.

Adoption
    Obama - Supports allowing adoption by GLBT people
    McCain - Opposes adoption by same-sex couples

If you are gay i think this sums up alot. Are we as a community going to support a candidate and party that wants to lead us toward equality or a candidate and party that wants to keep us second class citizens.
    As a community we need to really stand up and not accept it when people say there's not much of a difference between the candidates on gay issues. There are HUGE differences.

Plus imagine the differences in the Supreme Court appointments they'll make - those appointments will be around long after the President leaves office and with all the fighting our community is doing in the courts those appointments make a huge difference.

The idea that someone who's getting significant profits from Manhunt (of all places) is then giving some of that money to conservative causes and Republican candidates isn't something I'm OK with. At least for the duration of the election, Manhunt is not getting any of my money...

I hate political debates, but I must agree with mrmax......politicians cannot be trusted. I judge people on their actions, not by what they say. People will make any number of promises and speeches about how important "special interest" groups are to them, but when it comes right down to it, the President or any political leader for that matter has very little absolute power. He/she may make a decision, but by the time the political advisors, and the infinite number of other "leaders" are finished manipulating it to fit their OWN agendas, there isn't really much left of the original decision. Maybe this is my own naive perception, but it just seems like Russian Roulette when choosing a political leader. Everyone always ends up choosing the lesser of two evils in the end anyway.
    Video feeds and content available to webmasters:
    http://demo.collegeboyslive.com http://affiliates.collegeboyslive.com

Marketing Director-Orlando
    Collegeboyslive.com
    AIM: cbl chaz Orlando
    E-Mail: chaz@collegeboyslive.com

Quote Originally Posted by cbl_chaz View Post
    ... when it comes right down to it, the President or any political leader for that matter has very little absolute power. He/she may make a decision, but by the time the political advisors, and the infinite number of other "leaders" are finished manipulating it to fit their OWN agendas, there isn't really much left of the original decision.
    I'd disagree with the statement that Presidents don't have much real power. But let's say it's true for a moment... Then you should judge them by the people they have surrounding them. Again Obama and the Democrats are way out in front on things like gay issues and more traditional issues like the economy (I love Robert Reich and he's going to be rewarded big time by Obama for supporing him over Hilary)...

So no matter how you look at it there are huge differences in the candidates. Sure, even Obama isn't where we want him to be, but he's so much further along the path than McCain it's not funny...

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by cbl_chaz View Post
    ...when it comes right down to it, the President or any political leader for that matter has very little absolute power. He/she may make a decision, but by the time the political advisors, and the infinite number of other "leaders" are finished manipulating it to fit their OWN agendas, there isn't really much left of the original decision.
    Tell me you can look at how badly Bush and his cronies (and I'm not just referring to the Republican-led congress that was in place until 2006) have ruined so many things about this country.

The President can manage to do an awful lot of fucked-up things, and in the case of Bush, the losers he appointed to the Supremes will be there ruining the country for years after Bush is gone.

Again as I said before, I hate political debates. I merely added my two cents. It's just an opinion and as I said before, I could be way off. I don't care really, it's still choosing the lesser of two evils and praying that they don't screw things up worse than the last guy!
    Video feeds and content available to webmasters:
    http://demo.collegeboyslive.com http://affiliates.collegeboyslive.com

Marketing Director-Orlando
    Collegeboyslive.com
    AIM: cbl chaz Orlando
    E-Mail: chaz@collegeboyslive.com

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    I told someone last week (and I honestly believe it) that a potted plant would make a better president than Bush

Can I spank someone? badboysfilms's Avatar

There is just not enough

There is just not enough power in the Gay world. It seems we just don't stick together and some or many support the straight whatever!! I think it is a felling of, "well see I fit in!"! BullShit! they look at you and deep down inside for many it is total discuss, just like some look down in the gay world on other gays. As for Manhunt hope he see the light.
    BadBoysFilms

CamCruise
    Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    I told someone last week (and I honestly believe it) that a potted plant would make a better president than Bush
    OMG!! Bush is a potted plant.

AND NOW THEY WANT TO PUT A "BUSH" IN THE VP SPOT TOO.

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    the president doesn't appoint judges per se
    congress has to approve
    congress approved all of bush's judges because the dems gave in
    as they have in a dozen cases for the lack of any balls

I'm a farmhand on your dad's rooster ranch. haganxy's Avatar
    this is one of those times where i totally forgot about a thread i started.

in any case, i enjoy the intellectual debate and discussion that the whole ManHunt.net/Republican Party situation has spawned.

maybe it was just a "publicity stunt" on their part, but i hate to just dismiss it as that. i would rather take this opportunity to discuss issues such as "why not be Republican AND gay?" the Log Cabin Republicans show us that it is NOT an oxymoron. i have many gay friends in North Carolina who are hard core Republican. i'm glad to live in a country where we have a choice, whether you agree with someone's political views or not, they have a choice.

how about someone's choice to do whatever they wish with their money? are vegetarians going to start boycotting Manhunt if they find out the owners had a steak dinner? or better yet, how about VEAL? are the environmentalists going to cancel their accounts if they find out someone is commuting in an SUV every single day with just ONE person? are atheists going to start boycotting a site if they find out the owner donates to his/her church?

now for those friends of mine who no longer have Manhunt accounts...i wonder where/how they are going to hookup. maybe they can find a website with a non-meat eating, non-SUV driving, non-Republican voting, non-church donating owner?
    hagan - IT nerd
    PrideBucks.com

Quote Originally Posted by haganxy View Post
    "why not be Republican AND gay?" the Log Cabin Republicans show us that it is NOT an oxymoron. i have many gay friends in North Carolina who are hard core Republican.
    Let me put this bluntly... If you support people who are actively trying to strip our community of what little rights we have and deny us of any future ones - then you're seriously self-loathing. Being "out, loud, and proud" means you don't put up with being a 2nd class citizen.

The Log Cabin Republicans show us that being gay and a Republican is an oxymoron. They're collaborators with the enemy IMO. This hasn't just happened in our community - you saw it among blacks among the civil rights movement and among women during the the women's rights movement.

how about someone's choice to do whatever they wish with their money? are vegetarians going to start boycotting Manhunt if they find out the owners had a steak dinner? or better yet, how about VEAL? are the environmentalists going to cancel their accounts if they find out someone is commuting in an SUV every single day with just ONE person? are atheists going to start boycotting a site if they find out the owner donates to his/her church?
    If something is important to you, yes, you don't knowingly do business with people who will take your money and use it against you and your values. Why would I pay someone to punch me in the stomach? (OK, bad example, I know guys who would do exactly that... )

now for those friends of mine who no longer have Manhunt accounts...i wonder where/how they are going to hookup. maybe they can find a website with a non-meat eating, non-SUV driving, non-Republican voting, non-church donating owner?
    I've been surprised how easy it is to find hookups without Manhunt. BarebackRT and Adam4Adam have done the job just fine. I've logged in to Manhunt a few times and when I tell guys that I'm not on there much 'cause they're giving money to Republicans and mention I'm on the other sites guys have gone and signed up for the other sites... I don't think canceling Manhunt accounts is the answer - I think educating Manhunt users on the issue and urging them to switch is much better...