Thread: Anyone an expert on USB Hubs?

I'm not gay; I'm British!

Anyone an expert on USB Hubs?

Hi!

I bought this 7 port powered USB Hub, and when I connect it to my PC it seems to be feeding power back to the computer.

When I have it all connected and turn the main power on, the PC LED light comes on and the fan starts (that's all, no hard drive etc), even though I haven't touched the PC. If I disconnect the USB Hub and try again, no fan or LED light (so everything normal).

When it is connected though, since the computer thinks it's already `on', I can't get it to power up at all.

Has anyone heard of this happening, or know why it could be happening.

Thanks

Gay Journalist and erotic video producer.
    Itinerant photographer, now in Liverpool... and on Stripchat and Streamen and Chaturbate.
    You might want to contact the manufacturer of the hub, or of the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by thejungle View Post
    Hi!

I bought this 7 port powered USB Hub, and when I connect it to my PC it seems to be feeding power back to the computer.

When I have it all connected and turn the main power on, the PC LED light comes on and the fan starts (that's all, no hard drive etc), even though I haven't touched the PC. If I disconnect the USB Hub and try again, no fan or LED light (so everything normal).

When it is connected though, since the computer thinks it's already `on', I can't get it to power up at all.

Has anyone heard of this happening, or know why it could be happening.

Thanks

Paco
    - Are your USB drivers current?
    You can download the most recent release from Microsoft.

- Does your system support whatever version of USB the hub is?
    Some older motherboards/systems do not support newer versions of USB (2.0 & 3.0).

- Does which ever port you are plugging the device in to work----if you plug another USB device in to the same port, does it work ... properly?

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    - Are your USB drivers current?
    You can download the most recent release from Microsoft.

- Does your system support whatever version of USB the hub is?
    Some older motherboards/systems do not support newer versions of USB (2.0 & 3.0).

- Does which ever port you are plugging the device in to work----if you plug another USB device in to the same port, does it work ... properly?
    I think they are current, I will check though.

The computer is only a year old and it supports USB2.0 which the hub is.

I will look at the port itself to see if another USB device works though. This is the only powered one I have but I have an unpowered one so I'll check that to see if at least it works when connected.

Basically I think you've confirmed that somethings wrong with it if the computer is somehow getting power back from the hub!

Thanks

Paco
    Yah. If another device does work in the same port it's off to the store for you (have them do an in-store replacement, of you'll have to RMA the thingy).

Thank goodness shopping is fun (^_~)

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Yah. If another device does work in the same port it's off to the store for you (have them do an in-store replacement, of you'll have to RMA the thingy).

Thank goodness shopping is fun (^_~)
    Yes, thank goodness it's fun - since it's an eBay buy it means a mail back. Oh well. I may fire up my laptop that hasn't been used in a year and confirm once and for all it's the hubs fault!

Thanks