Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many pop ups are too many?

randy

How many pop ups are too many?

Seriously people...just how many pop ups are too many.

some very succesful sites have no pop ups.

Some have as many as 8 or 9.

How many pop ups are too much?

and why do people have pop ups that install things on your computer?

Tyler
    One is too many as far as I'm concerned. I've never used one ever. Not into it, never will be.

BillaBong024K
    ok your problem is not from sites having pop-ups, its the fact that you have adware and spyware installed on your computer ... the best bet would be to go to google and type in "adaware free downloads" it should be the first site.

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar
    How many pop ups are too much?
    We generally use one on exit and that is cycling the traffic to our other program sites for the most part. At times I think that’s too many.

In a pay per signup scenario, the ideas is to sell off the non-buying traffic in order to afford to pay a larger amount up front. And in today’s game I can understand that concept very well. But when a site pops 8 consoles, I have to wonder how good the original site is converting to begin with.

I can say from my own experience that a lot of what I do depends on the traffic I’m getting and how I approach it. For example, on a couple of our phony link sites I will use 2 – an exit and a blur console. It’s a free site and the traffic that I get to them actually converts from the console more than the site. I only added the consoles after I watched how the traffic worked. Since it’s a free site its purpose is to sell, for me. So I need to make it do that.

As annoying as they can be, A pop up has it’s uses. It’s going way beyond one or two that I don’t particularly go for myself – especially when you get into some console chains that take over your entire system, not only a download but the type you have to reboot for. I especially despise those timed pop ups that wait in your cache and pop later.

and why do people have pop ups that install things on your computer?
    Why? That one has eluded me for years. Fucking drives me nuts. Whether it’s a dialer program or a freaking adware, I find this the most intrusive and annoying of all tactics.

I never liked using pop ups on any sites we did. And for a long time I avoided it like the plague. Even when I put one on a traffic site or phony tgp, I still cringe; and that’s after I’ve analyzed that traffic and know it’s the only way I can get them to buy.

My pennies for the fountain…

Gary-Alan

randy
    No I promise it's both...why do some sites have so many pop ups? We have one on our exit....one!
    Whats the point of frustrating the surfer with more than that?

and...Yes why should I or any other surfer have to remove shit off our computers becasue was something was installed we did not want?

Sorry if I sound agitated but I do not understand why people support those prgrams.

Just asking for some explanations that make sense?

randy
    You and I think allot like Gary!

McAttack
    Well I never understood the people that have multiple pops cause it's counter productive. All i can think of is that those people don't understand traffic enough.

As for me, depending on the site, I like 1 or 2 exits. On a free site, I use 2. First one filters to my other sites or programs I support, maybe email payout sites. The second popup filters the garbage traffic by niche so I can send it to a toplist or something like that where I get traffic in return.
    On a paysite, or one with higher quality traffic, i use 1 and it filters to my other stuff and other programs. All filtered by niche.

BillaBong024K
    listen the world is a perfect place and thier tactics do work on alot of people .... just download the program adaware then download the google toolbar(has a pop up blocker) if you just download the toolbar it wont work b/c most likely you have shit installed on your comp .... if you want to get rid of the shit then do as i told you .... this process takes about 5 minutes so quit being a lazy fucker

McAttack
    We're talking about the actual practices and if they are effective. Billabong, do you believe that having 50+ popups works and sells a lot? The whole purpose of a console is to try and showcase a few other sites or products that might interest a non-buying surfer. But when I go on a site that has a ton of pop ups, and actually is just a rotation of 4 of them, it's ridiculous.

What we're discussing here is how many is effective. Not wether or not pops work int he first place. I think we can all agree that a proper popup campaign will increase profits by anywhere from 10%-30 but at what point does it because retarded and hurts your biz?

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    i always catch some shit every time i run IE to check people's sites.
    Got bugged by some adware that was a bitch to remove.

I think 1 popup is fine. But with so many using popup blockers I dont know how effective they would be.
    Im surfing with FireFox and I haven't seen a popup since last year

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    So far as consoles go as 'sales tools' i do think any more than 3 max and you are just doing it for overkill.

In fact we ran some tests several months ago now with some sites we have just sitting there and gleamed the following information from the tests:

Average signups to sponsor (A) = 113
    Sales From Console (1) to sponsor (A) = 11
    Sales From Console (2) to sponsor (A) = 2

Meaning that only the first console is actually the most effective certainly on the traffic levels we threw at the test sites.

You can see the full info at:

http://forums.gaywidewebmasters.com/...&threadid=1966

I should also point out that even console blockers are not a problem anymore thanks to this thread:

http://forums.gaywidewebmasters.com/...&threadid=1677

Regards,

Lee

randy
    Acctually I wouldnt consider myself lazy.....

But believe me some of these consoles are becoming much harder to block and more agressive.

I don't mind one console but any more is a pain in the ass...I was checking that superfag site that silvercash has out now and decided to turn off the popup blocker and got hit with a series of popups and popunders and even got the coulomb dialer auto installed plus other spyware crap (f*ck I hate those autoinstalls!!!), they just kept coming at me at such a rapid pace I really cannot understand why anyone would be willing to join a site that does that to you.

cheers,
    Luke

I only use one, and its a pop under, so it's there when they close the site... to me, that's less annoying than the popup hell that a lot of sites still put you through.

BentBoy
    We will not list sites that have more than one pop up, my opinion is one is enough, more than that takes away from the surfers web experiance.

You should be able to inform the surfer of other offers and upsell them with one console,

Exits work when used properly! Abuse of them just leads to the surfer being frustrated and not buying anything.

We have tested exits on our sites and have found that exit sales on console 2 are either non existant or not worth the effort.

Im interested to hear from people who can say otherwise this is a great topic of discussion.

Regards

BentBoy