Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does This Site Need To Be Wider You Think?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Does This Site Need To Be Wider You Think?

http://www.hoodedhunks.com

For my resolution it pretty much fills up the entirity of my browser but i know i surfer sites on a smaller resolution than most, how much scrolling/blank space do you folks have either side of the main content on this site?

Regards,

Lee

i prefer wider pages, but i might feel differently if you had a background with a color that didn't draw my eye - that green stands out a lot from the red and white on the page.

Paco
    I agree with basschick - the green is so brilliant that it takes away from the shock and (open wide and say) aw of the main section. It (the background) should not be the first thing one looks at.

As for how much space: my work system is a mere 1024x768, and with that there is approx.150pixels on either side, for an approx. total of 300.

Am I Bitter?...Absolutely nicedreams's Avatar
    I wouldn't build until 1000pixels wide now.

Jimmy

Gay Amateur Paysites / Solo Twink Paysite
    Nice Dreams Cash
    http://www.nicedreamscash.com

build to a 980x wide table ... most users are on 1024x resolution, or higher. The ones at 800x are mostly Asia and not buying what you're selling anyways

You know, i have about 15 sites that are 1000px wide and several that are well under 1000px wide and to be honest, im not really seeing any correlation at all to an increase in sales based on the actual width of the sites pages.

May just be me but im a firm beleiver that choosing the right content to match the niche is more important to getting sales than the width of a sites tour page.

That being said, im open to testing in order to get more stats which is why i asked the original question to begin with.

Regards,

Lee

mrmax
    If youre going to keep it that size then I think you need to change those colors.
    The orange and green and spooky logo makes it look a little halloween-y.
    Changing the background to white would make a big improvement imo.

Gay Journalist and erotic video producer.
    Itinerant photographer, now in Liverpool... and on Stripchat and Streamen and Chaturbate.
    My iMac is 1280... the browser window opens up taking up about 2/3's of the width of the screen, and there's way too much blue margin left and right.

The center column is white, the text is too small. If I cmd-+ to increase the text size, the poster's name info cell gets weird.

Text size in composition window is worse, but cmd-+ to enlarge text size in the composition window has fewer consequences - except for pushing the emoticon table further into the margin.

I wish pages could be built to better dynamically grow with the user's wishes - making text size easier to read, while not destroying the designer's layout.

Itinerant photographer, now in Liverpool... and on Stripchat and Streamen and Chaturbate.
    And the poor AEBN guy is SOOOO green... purple nose and green sideburns.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbaer View Post
    My iMac is 1280... the browser window opens up taking up about 2/3's of the width of the screen, and there's way too much blue margin left and right.

The center column is white, the text is too small. If I cmd-+ to increase the text size, the poster's name info cell gets weird.

Text size in composition window is worse, but cmd-+ to enlarge text size in the composition window has fewer consequences - except for pushing the emoticon table further into the margin.

I wish pages could be built to better dynamically grow with the user's wishes - making text size easier to read, while not destroying the designer's layout.
    I havent got a clue what you are talking about, you obviously never even bothered reading the thread before hitting 'reply'.

Regards,

Lee

Sorry I left the px off the 1280px.

"For my resolution it pretty much fills up the entirity of my browse" -

For my browser window, which takes up about 2/3s of the width of the screen (the iMac display is widescreen) set at my display setting of 1280px wide, the GWW content takes up about 40% of my browser.

"how much scrolling/blank space do you folks have either side of the main content on this site?"

About 60%. If I make the browser window narrower, then the next site I open is squished.

It is common then for a viewer to customize a site by enlarging text size, to better fill the browser window, and to make text easier to read. But I described my results trying that.

Other posters refer to the color "green"... I only see white background for the center, and blue borders. The only green is in the complexion of the AEBN guy. The background of the composition window is grey.

iMac - 1280px, Safari.

In comparison, the www.CNN.com page has grey borders on the left and right that take up 10%-15% each.

When I cmd-+ to enlarge the text font size, I can usually do that twice before I mess up the design of the page.

We aren't discussing the size of GayWideWebmasters -- we're discussing the layout of a new paysite he's putting together. http://www.hoodedhunks.com

Latin Niche site - 50% Revshare!! MiamiB's Avatar

Well

I personally don't think anything can ever be too wide!
    MiamiBoyz.com
    Online Since 1999!
    Make 50% initial signup AND 50% recurring![/B] http://www.MiamiBoyz.com
    NEW SITE TO PROMOTE - LatinPiss.com