Thread: Protecting your whois info.?

Am i gay? Am i straight? And then i realized ... I'm just slutty. Northstar's Avatar

Protecting your whois info.?

What do you do to protect your personal information from showing up on whois searches? I have had all my personal information visible for years but in the last couple months I have been getting called from hosting companies and tons of mail regarding my domain names. I'm registered with godaddy and they have a privacy service but it is $10 per year per domain name. I have a lot of domains so that would get very expensive. I was just wandering what all of you guys do if anything?

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    gave my grandma's address back home :bow:

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Well we usually post our mailing address (PMB) as the contact for the whois information along with an email that we can set spam filters in place to ONLY allow emails from specific registrars to get through to us.

One thing that youc an do t stop being pestered by these companies though is every time one of them calls you, write a templated email off to their domain registrar as well as whois that way they should, in theory have their domain and hosting stopped as it is against whois rules to use the information contained in a DNS record to contact individuals and companies for sales purposes

I know we have done that a few times and after about 5 days the offending companies no longer have a web presence

Regards,

Lee

Dawgy
    i had to change my whois info so that visa would approve my site. it apparently has to show my name as well as an address that matches my company address. obviously for visa this has to be a physical address, not a mailbox. i dont understand how anyone gets around this, i fought it for a week. yet i see almost every paysite domain registered with a company name & some anonymous mailbox place.

someone please enlighten me...

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Originally posted by Dawgy
    someone please enlighten me...
    Instead of using PMB#2 use Suite 2

Regards,

Lee

How long have you been gay?
    I use a PO Box address I have with www.usabox.com.

Am i gay? Am i straight? And then i realized ... I'm just slutty. Northstar's Avatar
    I found a site called www.protectfly.com but it is so cheap i'm not sure if I trust them. If they replace all your information with theirs couldn't they steal your domains from you?

Pixxxel
    I just put my normal info, and do like Lee does, if someone calls you from it, or send an e-mail, write an e-mail to their host and their registrar. Registrar's are starting to take things more seriously.

Hope it all works out for you

Michael