Thread: Is the term "daddy" a turnoff?

mrmax

Is the term "daddy" a turnoff?

I started a social site for older men and have "daddy" in the name. When I ask my bear friends to join about 1/4th of them say "I dont really think of myself as a daddy".

Im thinking, is that a turnoff? Do people think calling themselves a daddy is old?

I think "Daddy" is hot personally, but I don't know what the gay on the street thinks. So I'd like to know here.
    Maybe I should go with a different name.

LOVE 4 SALE OR LEASE SEX MONTHLY! :) longboardjim's Avatar
    I guess it would depend on what language your using.

aye papi!

jim

mrmax
    Well now that I think of it more, I guess anything can be a turnoff. Im turned off by twink, boi, jock but lots of guys love those terms.

I'm not gay; I'm British! SluggerJ's Avatar
    Personally I think it's hot, but not everybody embraces age in a sexual way.

There are a lot of wrinkles in the same fabric... It means a lot of different things to different people, and some people won't identify with it at all. A few will even be grossed out.

It'll get certain types of traffic, but won't be all-encompassing for all mature men. If that's the goal, you'd probably want a different term. But then, as you said, anybody could be turned off by anything. So consider the pros with the cons.

How long have you been gay?
    Daddy can be used as a term of endearment. But in the hardcore leather/fetish community there a whole lot of silly rules attached to the use of that word. A Daddy must have a "Boy", etc... blah blah blah.

My partner and I both consider ourselves "daddies" but don't play any of those silly role-playing games.

Being a single parent the term Daddy isn't a sexual term for me, but I know how it works in the Gay scene and a lot of people think it's hot, especially guys into older men :thumbsup:
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Filthy never look so good! BelamiAlan's Avatar
    Daddy as a term can be troubling. Younger guys into older guys will often call them daddy. As a man who can enjoy the company of a guy younger than me, it was off putting the first time they called me daddy. For god sakes, I'm 37 but I am hairy and muscled so to them daddy. I think people that some would describe as daddy don't want to be called daddy. I dont love it, but for the right person I can be ok with it.
    Nobody does it like BelAmi
    http://belamicash.com
    alan(at)belamionline.com

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    dinglefritz, to some those "silly role-playing games" are a way of life. For a "boy" to call his partner "Daddy" is a term of respect that some hold in the highest regards.

The term "Daddy" is an interesting one. In the vanilla world it usually refers to age but in the leather world it refers to one's role in the relationship. In fact, I know Daddies who are younger than their "boys".
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

Gay Journalist and erotic video producer.
    Itinerant photographer, now in Liverpool... and on Stripchat and Streamen and Chaturbate.
    I stopped using Daddy a couple of years ago.

There's other ways to be more specific to intergenerational, like Jock/Coach or Student/Teacher, that move away from pseudo familial references.

My grandfather was 65 years old when I was born in 1950. My High School classmates at our 40th reunion last month all had 25-35 year old kids, many had Grandchildren when they were in their 40s!

So I like the non-family, school, locker room, military terms for people of different ages and authorities - that are such but also shy from sexual harassment power bases. Short of Priest/Altar Boy...

CamCruise
    Well I have a Daddy, so I have no bad feelings about it.

Now that I am older I have a lot of young bucks calling me daddy now too.
    I think its great.

I Want To See Bradleys 'B-Unit' deanb's Avatar
    I think everyone has a different opinion of what a daddy is. Taking out the fetish community definition, here is my opinion on what a daddy is. A daddy is an older guy (IMO 30s-40s) who has a hairy body, usually muscular, with exceptional good looks. Hot House Alan, you are a daddy IMO! LOL. My BF is a daddy IMO.

Also, some others view this the same, I was out the other day with some friends, and we met this guy he was probably 23, and he was cute, and already had the hairy chest going on, and you could just tell he was going to be dead sexy in his 30s and 40s and my friend and I were telling him what a hot daddy he is going to be! He didn't understand what we were really saying, which is why I would say there is no standard definition.
    ICQ# 200-385-093

GWW Newbie..Be Nice.. Gayboys4fun's Avatar
    Dependent on the age of consent in your country I'd say double it and that makes you a daddy. If you'd reared him yourself you'd be, so seems logical to apply the same rules.

I hasten to add, I'm in no way recommending incest, if you want to be a daddy lay somebody elses kid. :gossip:
    http://www.gayboys4u.eu/live-video-chat_125x125.jpg

Camper than a row of tents
    If a daddy is someone who dates much younger, where does that leave the older members of the site who date within their own age group? Would two 50yo's think of each other as daddy? I don't know, but I doubt it.
    I post here to whore this sig.

703_Angel
    You never know how a guy is going to react to that word, so I will usually refrain from using it. However, if he calls me "boy," then game on.

...since my first hard-on. A_DeAngelo's Avatar
    I love being called a daddy... it works - and Cam is my boy - that works too - and when we have others over, they usually call both of us daddies - and that works

what bothers me is "grand daddy" but since I've already got a whole family of nieces, nephews, and great nieces and nephews... the term "great uncle" bothers me - it makes me feel old - but then, old is wise and $$$ and some other good stuff too - it kind of works - not much I can do about it is there?