Thread: Simple Way To Block Specific Countries From Joining?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Simple Way To Block Specific Countries From Joining?

Instead of using geo:ip targeting to redirect surfers from countries with higher than average chargebacks and fraud from joining our sites has anyone ever actually thought about the really simple way of stopping people in these countries from joining our sites?

Simply removing the country names from the join form drop down box?

Im about to do this across all the Condom Cash for several countries that have higher than average chargeback/fraud ratios and was wondering if anyone else had done this and seen any positive results?

Regards,

Lee

If homosexuality is a disease, let's all call in queer to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Instead of using geo:ip targeting to redirect surfers from countries with higher than average chargebacks and fraud from joining our sites has anyone ever actually thought about the really simple way of stopping people in these countries from joining our sites?

Im about to do this across all the Condom Cash for several countries that have higher than average chargeback/fraud ratios and was wondering if anyone else had done this and seen any positive results?

Regards,

Lee
    Why would you be worried about the CB ratios ?

because visa will cancel your processing if you get too many chargebacks. also a lot of webmasters pay round $20 for each chargeback their site dioes. and let's not forget that each chargeback is money you didn't make.

Quote Originally Posted by BBweb View Post
    Why would you be worried about the CB ratios ?

If you have an issue with a specific country, CCBill can block transactions from that specific country. Just need to request it.

Patti is right - as far as chargebacks, as with any processor, the ratio is important to VISA - but also remember that some processors eat the chargeback fees...
    Gary
    CCBill

Regards,

Lee

Have you thought about blocking them entirely from your sites through .htaccess? Not only will you stop their ability to join your site you will also stop the wasted bandwidth usage from your tour/preview areas.

No no i'm really handsome, all the lesbians love me.
    I'm curious how many charge backs are from people in those countries
    versus credit cards from those countries. Blocking based on the country
    in the credit card billing address doesn't stop someone in Romania from
    signing up with a stolen US credit card number and the US cardholder
    will charge back. It might be better to use some sort of geo ip if a lot of
    the cards show "good" countries in their addresses. I don't know how
    often that occurs. Also of course geo ip isn't all that accurate, especially
    in Europe, which seems to be slowly becoming a single country anyway.

Also, removing the country from the drop down list will not stop any automated
    bots doing signups. I suspect some of our fraud comes from automated testing
    of stolen card numbers.

Listing countries in .htaccess requires either a geo ip system of some sort,
    or doing a reverse DNS look up on the IP of each visitor. If your site gets
    in significant traffic you do NOT want to be doing reverse DNS on your whole
    tour. It's a slow operation that you don't want to try to do hundreds of times
    per minute. You can, however, put such a .htaccess in your ccbill/ directory
    or other directory that holds just the join page and related files. The major
    geo ip solutions are much faster than reverse DNS. Ours can easily handle
    thousands of lookups per second, so that could be used on a tour.

Ray
    --
    Ray B. Morris
    support@bettercgi.com

Strongbox - The next generation in site security:
    http://www.bettercgi.com/strongbox/

Throttlebox - Next generation in intelligent bandwidth control
    http://www.bettercgi.com/throttlebox/

Clonebox - Next generation disaster prevention
    http://www.bettercgi.com/clonebox/

Affiliate program:
    http://www.bettercgi.com/affiliates/user/register.php

mrmax
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Have you thought about blocking them entirely from your sites through .htaccess? Not only will you stop their ability to join your site you will also stop the wasted bandwidth usage from your tour/preview areas.
    I would LOVE to do this, but every host I've been with says I cant.

is there a way to do this?