Thread: video editing software... show me what you got... *wink*

outcrowd

video editing software... show me what you got... *wink*

Well,

Now that I have you here... *wink*

I have a questions, many questions... I can only hope someone out there has an answer them for me.

Where do I begin?

1. I have a pc. Yea, I know I should be on a mac...
    2. I just bought me a mighty fine Sony Handycam 8.
    3. Now what I need is to get my paws on some decent video editing software. Any suggestions?

Before you get any ideas it's for the ice cream social next week at a friends house. Ok, Ok... that's a lie... *wink*

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks again !

Jasun
    Being a card carrying Mac snob, I use final Cut Pro, but when editing on a PC, I used Adobe Premier Pro.

Premier is pretty powerful, it's relatively easy to use and it's not outrageously expensive.

After that, I'd get Media Cleaner so you can shrink down your files to a size suitable for web distribution.

Enjoy your "Ice Cream Social". Don't get any on the sheets.

outcrowd

watch it bub...

How did I know you were one of those mac snobs? Hummm... could it be my hotline to the now infamous Madame Cleo? I think not... Just call it old fashioned smarts... *wink*

Well, I have to say in all honesty, thanks for all the info. Now all I have to do is see if it's all within my meager budget.

LOL

*grrr to you*

try video edit magic http://www.deskshare.com/vem.aspx
    it's cheap and fast.

also you could try ulead video studio. they both have free trials so you can see if one suits you better than the other. i believe they are both under $100.

a lot of people have also recommended TMPGEnc http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/index.html

premiere doesn't work with wmv's. we found this out after a couple long, torturous calls to adobe.

Jasun
    Originally posted by basschick
    premiere doesn't work with wmv's. we found this out after a couple long, torturous calls to adobe.
    The newest version does, actualy.. I found that out quite by mistake.

dont be jealous becuase i'm beautiful, be jealous because i just fucked your boyfriend
    Pinnacle Studios is a good software for beginners. Very easy to use and it can do most of what the more intense programs can do. For $100- 300 it comes with an affordable price tag too.

Jasun - i'm surprised to hear that. the actual programmers talked with us earlier this year after support couldn't help us, and after hours of work, they found premiere could work wmvs but they wouldn't include sound. in fact, they refunded our money.

how new is this new premiere?

Jasun
    it's the 2004 edition.

I imported a WMV, edited it and converted it to an Mpeg.

was surprised that I wasn't supposed to be able to do it.

oh - yes, you can do that. however if you need to make small clips from wmv's or adjust other things about them, you're dead in the water.

Jasun
    couldn't you export them as quicktime files and then make clips from that?

I've only once used WMV fles, 'cause I capture from digital video tape, so I'm not really sure in what situation I'd find myself needing to edit work with WMVs.