Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Did The Blacks Vote Against Prop 8?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Why Did The Blacks Vote Against Prop 8?

Seven in 10 African Americans who went to the polls voted yes on Proposition 8, the ballot measure overruling a state Supreme Court judgment that legalized same-sex marriage and brought 18,000 gay and lesbian couples to Golden State courthouses in the past six months.

Similar measures passed easily in Florida and Arizona. It was closer in California, but no ethnic group anywhere rejected the sanctioning of same-sex unions as emphatically as the state's black voters, according to exit polls. Fifty-three percent of Latinos also backed Proposition 8, overcoming the bare majority of white Californians who voted to let the court ruling stand.

The outcome that placed two pillars of the Democratic coalition -- minorities and gays -- at opposite ends of an emotional issue sparked street protests in Los Angeles and a candlelight vigil in San Francisco. To gay rights advocates, the issue was one of civil rights. Attorney General Edmund G. "Jerry" Brown Jr. reworded the ballot language to state that a yes vote was a vote to "eliminate the rights of same-sex couples to marry."

That appeal ran head-on into a well-funded and well-framed advertising campaign in favor of the ban -- and the deeply ingrained religious beliefs of an African American community that largely declined to see the issue through a prism of equality.

"I think it's mainly because of the way we were brought up in the church; we don't agree with it," said Jasmine Jones, 25, who is black. "I'm not really the type that I wanted to stop people's rights. But I still have my beliefs, and if I can vote my beliefs that's what I'm going to do.

"God doesn't approve it, so I don't approve it. And I approve of Him."

The overwhelming rejection of same-sex marriage by black voters was surprising and disappointing to gay rights advocates who had hoped that African Americans would empathize with their struggle.

"I wasn't surprised by the Latinos," said Steve Smith, senior consultant for No on 8. "Basically, Latinos and the Anglo population were fairly close. The outlier of the proposition was African Americans. Many are churchgoing; many had ministers tell them to vote."

Indeed, Proposition 8 promoters worked closely with black churches across the state, encouraging ministers to deliver sermons in favor of the ban.

"What the church does is give that perspective that this is a sacred issue as well as a social issue," said Derek McCoy, African American outreach director for the Protect Marriage Campaign. "The reason I feel they came out so strong on the issue is one, for them, it's not a civil rights issue, it's a marriage issue. It's about marriage being between a man and a woman and it doesn't cut into the civil rights issue, about equality.

"The gay community was never considered a third of a person."

Black residents agreed with that reasoning in interviews at a Culver City mall on Thursday. David Blannon, 73, who opposed the measure, said his wife summed up her yes vote in one sentence: " 'As far as I'm concerned, that's not something I read in the Bible.' And let it go at that," he said.

But Kesha Young, 32, called religious arguments a cover for persistent prejudices rooted elsewhere. Taboos against homosexuality are exceptionally strong in Africa, McCoy acknowledged.

"I'm going to tell you something about the black race: We love to pass judgment. I think that's just a smoke screen about the church thing," said Young, a licensed vocational nurse.

Anthony Maurice-White, 31, who is gay, said he learned early in life to keep his sexual orientation to himself around fellow blacks as a matter of routine. "Closed minds," he said in the mall parking lot. "And they're afraid of change."

His friend Ike Young, 21, nodded agreement. "I'm straight, but I think a lot of people are bi-curious but they're afraid of what family members will think of them," he said.

The Latino vote for the ban also appears rooted in culture.

"It's our tradition," said Flor Guardado, 38, who voted yes. "In Latino Central American culture, the gays aren't accepted."

Guardado said that in her native Honduras, she would not tell her mother if she had a lesbian friend. "If I had a lesbian friend, they'd think I was a lesbian, too," she said.

But in Los Angeles, where she owns a hair salon, a different kind of diplomacy obtains. All eight of her employees are gay. When they asked how she voted, she tells them it's a secret.

"I'm sorry for the gay people. They have feelings," said the mother of two. "Legally, I don't want that for the children. They will be confused and think it's okay. They might think they're gay, too."

Television commercials supporting the ban skirted the issue of rights, and instead declared that schools would treat same-sex marriage as normal. Even opponents acknowledged the ads as powerful and positioned to influence minority voters, whose children account for a disproportionate share of the public school population.

Pablo Correa said his mind was made up by a TV spot in which a young girl comes home from school and tells her mother she learned how a prince could marry a prince.

"Before, I didn't know about Proposition 8. When I saw the commercial, it opened my mind," said Correa, 42, standing in his beauty supply story in Boyle Heights, in heavily Latino East Los Angeles.

"I don't discriminate against people," he said, with a wave at the rows of lipstick and makeup. "I have a lot of customers who are homosexuals, transsexuals and bisexuals. I'm not against these people."

He added: "But I'm a traditionalist. I come from a traditional family. People can do whatever they want in their own life, but I have to protect my family."

Still, strategists for neither major party saw the outcome on Proposition 8 as an opening for Republicans to corral minority voters who share a socially conservative agenda.

"I think it's unclear that the social conservatism would trump economics," said Arnold Steinberg, a Republican strategist in Los Angeles. "Certainly with Latino voters there have been opportunities to market themselves on a socially conservative level. But the Republican Party has been too bumbling and irresponsible to do anything with it."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...tics/elections

I really do wonder why they voted overwhelmingly against gay marriage, after all, it wasnt that long ago that their rights were being denied by the vast majority of states.

It really does make you wonder, especially since everyone voted in a black President.

Regards,

Lee

throw fundamentalists to the lions chadknowslaw's Avatar
    I was furious finding out how overwhelmingly lacks voted for Prop 8 and against gay rights. Everyone who voted for it should be ashamed of themselves.

I think the black community has greater religious influence and unbending ideal of what a "real man" has to be.
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com
    Keeping you out of trouble is easier than getting you out of trouble!

Gay Marriage - It's our Pearl Harbor. Titanmen's Avatar
    African Americans represent about 6% of the total electorate in California. While they may have voted against same sex marriage disproportionally, they are not the reason we lost. In terms of pure numbers of votes we lost because of white over 65 and inland county white voters.

While I too am not happy about AA’s voting 70% against same sex marriage, I don’t want to see them get blamed for our lose.

I received a robo-call saying that Barack Obama did not support gay marriage and there was a snippet of his voice saying he did not support gay marriage. Guess who paid for the robo-calls…the Mormons!

The Mormons used Barack’s own words against us and gave many AA a reason to justify their votes. Many AA were simply voting with their leader...Barack Obama.

Remember we couldn't even get Hillary to publicly say she supported gay marriage. If we can’t even get Hillary to support us then how do we expect to get AA’s on our side?

Quote Originally Posted by Titanmen View Post
    how do we expect to get AA’s on our side?
    Perhaps they need to be given a 'history' lesson?

After all, as i said, it really wasnt that long ago when they were being denied their basic rights.

Of course, they had Dr King, we have, well, we have Rosie, so that is kind of telling in and of itself :eek:

Regards,

Lee

Dr. King's widow "got it" and she supported gay rights and gay marriage unconditionally.
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com

Minorities will always be harder to bring over to our side.

I think it's really that some minorities want someone to look down upon. In an effort not to feel inferior, they need to feel superior to someone.

But yes.. The Robocalls I got on election day did say that Barack Obama supported Prop 8 and then used an our of context sound bite. And yes.. it was paid for by the Mormon Corporation. THAT is who we need to take down.
    Jasun Mark. Crass of the Titans.

It's because otherwise seemingly rational people have been brainwashed by fairytales, aka religion.

Also, most black people I know do not equate racism with the gay rights struggle. In fact many are insulted at the suggestion.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MNU1140AQQ.DTL

"64 percent of Catholics voted yes. Catholics accounted for 30 percent of all voters....The shift in Catholics alone more than accounted for Prop. 8's 5 percent margin of victory."

We were beat by religion not by skin color. If you want to blame anyone blame the Mormon and Catholic churches.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/...p-8-myths.html

It has a generational and religious lose, not one based on race.

(FiveThirtyEight.com is the very best when it comes to polls and projections. They got the presidential race almost exactly right, only off by 1/10 of a percent.)

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Can we please put this attitude against African Americans to rest! So a bunch of them voted for prop 8. A lot of them, so what if it was less, a lot of them voted against us. And while there are a lot of black people who hate gay people, there are a lot of everybody who hates gay people. This problem isn't about the people who voted yes because they honestly believed they were doing the right thing, it's about the people who spread the lies and the religous organizations who misused their funds to further a political agenda.

I'm so worried the gay community is going to turn into George W. I mean, look at 911. A bunch of people bombed us, so we invaded a country... why? Because our "war on terror" didn't take into consideration who was guilty or who was innocent. We just went in there and invaded a whole country. And now we're looking for someone to blame and shooting our guns off in every direction.

And Lee, you should be ashamed of yourself. As much as we bitch and moan about people calling us "The Gays", you turn around and call this group of people "The Blacks". Haven't we learned anything?
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

Big Hands/Big Feet=Expensive shoes & gloves!
    Only about 10% of registered black voters turned out to vote on Prop 8
    keep that in mind..

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Something else. Keep in mind that the best way destroy a group is to divide and conquer. By getting the gay community angered at the african american community, not only are we hurting relations with the black supporters we have but also straining relationships between black and white gay people. You wonder why there has been so much talk in the media over that 70% issue. The worst thing we can do is fight within our ranks. Get over it. We need to band together, because gay people cone in all races and believe (or don't believe) in all different religions.
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jasun View Post
    I think it's really that some minorities want someone to look down upon. In an effort not to feel inferior, they need to feel superior to someone.
    Bingo!

When we become equal who will everyone have to kick around?
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Quote Originally Posted by Squirt View Post
    Bingo!

When we become equal who will everyone have to kick around?

The French???
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com

You know, i was reading a new peice a few days ago, dont remember where but ill see if i can find it again, where they interviewed and polled a bunch of African Americans and they all said that gay right and racial rights were not related to one another.

Perhaps that explains why such a large population of those African American voters that did come out to vote were against gay marriage.

If they cant see the correlation between their having their rights refused for centuries and us having ours denied maybe we should be working on educating people in general why there are similarities between the two.

Instead the gay community has taken itself to fighting the mormon church and boycotting companies - Yet people wonder why prop8 passed, when we cant even come up with an organized method of getting our message across that matters, instead of throwing hissy fits to anyone we can target as a group.... Feeding the stereotype.

Regards,

Lee