Thread: When Companies Use Confusing Terms On Their Tours..

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

I Wonder? When Companies Use Confusing Terms On Their Tours..

That are deliberate in order to get the surfer to become a member.

For example, putting a heavy emphasis on 'high resolution' on a tour instead of 'high definition' to make the surfer think they are one and the same?

What are your thoughts on this practice?

Regards,

Lee

i don't like it - i think that if you make claims that sound like something they're not, once the members join and are disappointed, they'll cancel and feel dissatisfied, making them less likely to join another paysite.

on the other hand, you might be surprised how often webmasters who do that actually don't know the correct terms and think they are using the terms correctly. there are a bunch of sites that actually say they offer high definition or HD when they don't offer it.

the one i hate is "Shot in HD". i see that one used all the time on sites that may shoot the videos in HD, but they offer them to members at like 480 pixels wide. why would i care what size the videos are shot in? all i care about is what i see on the site.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick View Post
    i don't like it - i think that if you make claims that sound like something they're not, once the members join and are disappointed, they'll cancel and feel dissatisfied, making them less likely to join another paysite.
    True enough but, on the other hand, what if the content is high resolution?

I must admit this is something that i am seeing more on the straight side of the business (big surprise there huh?) than on the gay side of things.

Regards,

Lee

high resolution basically means high quality, and none of the sites i see that make that claim live up to it. many of the sites with tours that claim high resolution tend to have fairly average content.

What is High Resolution?

High resolution basically means that an image is reproduced with a high level of detail. Usually it is referring to an image that is of very high quality, where there is a lot of detail. When talking about high resolution, most people are usually referring to digital images such as digital photographs, television resolution either on a standard CRT screen, or digital TV set and computer monitor resolution. High resolution is also referenced when talking about digital cameras, scanners, photocopiers and printers.

Gay Marriage - It's our Pearl Harbor. Titanmen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick View Post
    the one i hate is "Shot in HD". i see that one used all the time on sites that may shoot the videos in HD, but they offer them to members at like 480 pixels wide. why would i care what size the videos are shot in? all i care about is what i see on the site.
    Bingo! It's even worse when they put "Shot in HD" on the cover of a standard definition DVD! I had a well known reviewer call me once and ask why Titan's "regular" DVDs looked better then another Studios "High Def" DVD. He thought that since the other studios DVD said “Shot in HD” on the cover that the DVD was in HD. He couldn't figure out why it looked so bad compared to our normal DVDs. I had to explain that it wasn't an HD DVD and that it was a cheesy marketing ploy. Boy, was he pissed!

It's a sleazy marketing tactic to try and confuse consumers and take advantage of them. People are very, very confused about HD so it’s easy for some producers to try and take advantage of them.