Thread: what was the BEST concert or show you ever went to?

what was the BEST concert or show you ever went to?

what was the best show you ever went to featuring live musicians?

i know mine for sure. i went to see extra fancy at a local club in hollywood, and they were great as always. afterward, there was another band. they came on their own bus, and i never heard of them. they kept setting up and setting up and setting up - we were getting antsy waiting. and they all looked like they were going to different parties. they were called the pugs.

there were a bunch of them, a blond drag queen in a white evening gown on keyboard, a mellow sort of hippy guy on the bass (and what a rad bass it was!) and the rest - the sort of started with a crescendo and this japanese babydoll came out in a very scanty sci-fi outfit, singing in a very singsong voice.

i can't begin to express the madness and magic that followed, but even though we all started out listening with a "okay, i dare you - TRY and entertain me" attitude from the wait, EVERY one was smiling after the first song.

the best time i ever had standing up, without a doubt!

http://www.tonecasualties.com/data/CT/P/meet.html

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    My favorite of all time was the Oasis concert i mentioned in the other thread however in all honesty, i have honestly liked all the concerts and shows i have been too.

BackStreet Boys was okay
    Boyzone was good
    Texas was awesome
    Party In The Park - was just fab-tastic
    Tom Petty (twice) i loved
    Oasis
    The Verve was great

Yep i can honestly say i have only been to great concerts

Regards,

Lee

TopBucks_Juan
    You guys are probibly sick of hearing me say this and seeing this same picture, but I went to gay pride last year here in Tucson and we went to see Joan Jett. She is the bomb!!

BDBionic
    This year's Coachella.

There are 3 bands that have been my favorites for over 10 years now.

The Cure
    The Pixies
    Radiohead

I'm talking passionately obsessed-fan type favorites.
    I saw The Cure at a tiny show in a tiny venue by pure luck several years ago for the first time.
    I saw Radiohead several years ago on the OK Computer tour, as well.
    Saw both Radiohead and The Cure late last year.

But the fact that, at Coachella this year, all 3 bands were playing? Including The Pixies, who'd broken up back in the 90's and who I never ever thought I'd be able to see life? It was awesome.

Honorable mentions include:
    Guster @ The House of Blues 4 years ago
    James Taylor at a private birthday party in Beverly Hills a few years ago.
    My first Lollapalooza over 10 years ago.

Chipmunk
    Ok let me rephrase the original question...
    Here are some of my favorite concerts that I REMEMBER ...:

Faith No More/Helmet 1991(crowd surfed to the front)
    Rush Roll: The Bones Tour (what I remember before passing out)
    Roger Waters 2002 or something (still a bit blurry on this one)
    Motley Crue 1987
    Lords of Acid seXtacy Ball 1995
    Depeche Mode 2x Faith & Devotion and another..

Warm regards,:groovy:

--=Chipmunk=--

Chris Alan
    I've gone to so many. The one that comes to mind is Val Halen's- Diver Down Tour. I believe it was early eighties. The music was loud the tail gate party was hot and the pot never seemed to stop.:fracais:

Dzinerbear
    Juan, is that you in that baseball cap?

With all due respect ... WOOF!

Dzinerbear

Oh I am seriously going to date myself with this ... but my all time fav concerts:

Gordon Lightfoot - bought tickets 5 min before the concert started and ended up smak dab in the middle of the front row! Was Awesome!

Moody Blues (at least 6 times over the years)

Harry Chapin before he really got popular ... small pub theatre in Cleveland.

Peter, Paul and Mary - I actually got to meet Peter and Paul, and got a kiss from Peter ... and man was his breath freshly laid out on bourbon LOL ... they even autographed my tshirt.

Linda Ronstadt - when she appeared as the warm up act for Arlo Guthrie ... she ended up being the better part of the concert.

Judy Collins

Joan Baez

Livingston Taylor (brother of James Taylor)Both are marvelous performers.

Yanni with full Orchestra -- awesome!

Simon and Garfunkel

Crosby Stills and Nash (before Young came into the act)

NightNoise -- they're on the Windham Hill Label, if you enjoy folk music and get a chance to ever see them in concert ... wow!

Neil Diamond - You can't help but dance and sing along - exhausting but worth it!

Holly Near,(actually had pics taken with her nude ... but they got ruined ... long story) Kate Clinton (partied with her afterwards ... she's a hoot!), Indigo Girls, Melissa Ethridge, Sweet Honey In The Rock, Odd Girl Out, Elton John, Margie Adams, Cris Williamson

Native American Flutist R. Carlos Nakai

Concert Performances I'd LIKE to see:
    Barbra Streisand
    Lorenna McKinnett
    Enya
    David Arkenstone
    Kenny G

I'm A Confirmed Trisexual CuriousToyBoy's Avatar
    Run DMC and the Beastie Boys at the LA Coliseum in 1984 on my first trip to the states.

I was young, full of come and ready for fun.

Came home from that trip older, depleted and exhausted!!

:groovy:

But that concert night and the party afterwards at the Red Onion was the highlight.

At least I think it was, that marked the first night of a four-day bender!!

:bandana:

Jasun
    OK.. this is gonna be a tough one for me, but.. let's see...

I got front-row center seats for the Halford/Entombed/Iron Maiden triple bill at the ACC a few years back. Halford was so close I could see the outlines of his pubes, and he kept looking down at me and my date (who was this drop dead gorgeous tattooed hunk) and making faces at us.

Durring one part of the show I pointed at him then pointed to myself and made a fucking gesture with my hands. He got a big smile and started to laugh.

He must have said something to Iron Maiden about the two gay guys in the front row (Halford being gay himself), because when they came out on the stage, every one of them walked right out, scanned the front row, saw us, nodded to each other, and then continued to come up to the edge of the stage all night makeing more faces at us, rubbing their butts and making other obscene gestures at us... it was hilarious.. at the end of the show, they all came out to the edge of the stage, pointed at us, and threw out their guitar picks, head bands and drum sticks to us while yelling "Thanks". They were really cool.

But then a few months later, I got front row right stage for Slayer's "God Hates Us All" tour, right in front of Kerry King himself. Watching those big, strong tattooed arms and fingers play that guitar while sweat poured down his forehead made me weak. There were no seats, just a mosh pit, so I spent the whole night crashing around and getting slammed from behind (humina humina humina) up against the chain link fence in front of the stage. When I woke up the next morning, I had lattice-work shaped bruises all over my chest.. I looked like a black and blue Belgian Waffle. But that show was just too much...

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar
    When I think about all the concerts I've gone two come to mind that as my favorites.

Billy Joel and Elton John (1994)
    Tina Turner at the Ritz

There was magic in the air at both of them.

At the Tina Turner concert, we were right at the stage and during Private Dancer Tina came up to us and let my friend rub her leg. Then she motioned to let me have a go. It was too funny.

GA

BDBionic
    Since the subject line says "concert or show" I'ma go ahead and mention:

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

at the Royal National Theatre in London in 1994. I'd never even heard of this Sondheim show back then but scored some tickets as I was in London to "enjoy some theatre" and during the production found myself absolutely fascinated.

It immediately became my favorite stage production, musical, soundtrack. I've been fascinated by it ever since and listen and watch (a VHS of the original broadway cast's performance in LA in the mid 80s that I bought off eBay for like $400).