Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Are Your Thoughts On Taking Threads...

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

What Are Your Thoughts On Taking Threads...

From other boards and passing them off as your own?

Seems to happen a lot in the gay community.. Especially with people taking thread topics from GWW.

Think this is ethical for a failing board to take active thread ideas from other webmaster communities and post them on their board to get traffic?

Regards,

Lee

LOVE 4 SALE OR LEASE SEX MONTHLY! :) longboardjim's Avatar
    ..."the question has been answered logan 5"... - logan's run

I answer same topic/questions once , I am noticing that similar topic/questions are being "mirrored" on other sites ( includes blogs ) but that just tells me the publisher is lacking in originality especially when the post contains no mention of it's first publishing and/or original poster.
    what attracts me to a board is not so much the questions asked but the answers given , sound information will always triumph over mindless chatter. ( interpreted: be yourself , speak freely but with respect for others , attach a pic for more notice! - just kidding. )

jim

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    I don't think taking an idea from a different board is that bad because, like longboardjim said, it's the responses that often make the thread worth reading. I don't think whole posts should be copied but if a bunch of people on another board have good answers to a question who's to say that a different group of people on this board might not have a wide range of different answers. I've written the same question on different boards before and have even found nothing but positive answers on one board and negative answers on another.
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by DonMike View Post
    I've written the same question on different boards before and have even found nothing but positive answers on one board and negative answers on another.
    What if it wasnt YOU that started the thread on a board, would you copy it across to a different message board then and ask as if it were your thread?

Like what some moderators currently do on other boards.

See a thread that has a bunch of replies on a board other than their own, then decide to start the same thread on their board in the hopes to get replies.

Regards,

Lee

Making Pain Pay!
    If it is not YOUR thread, I do not think you should copy it anywhere else without sourcing it.
    TropixxxCash.com is a CCBill affiliate program for the male spanking and punishment site TropixxxVIP.com.

:whip:

I have taken an announcement or important industry-related question posted on one board and posted it on another board (giving credit to where it came from) if I've felt that the information was important enough and needed to be discussed in more than one place.

But if somebody's taking something that someone else posted on one board, reposting it as their own on another board, that isn't OK.

There have been a few times where I'll see a topic I really like on one board that hasn't been brought up on another board where that poster does not visit, and I'll say "I saw this on another board" and then paraphrase the question. I think if it's a situation like that, where it's done by the members occasionally it's okay. I think if its done by the owners of a board on a regular basis just to up the post count it's kind of shady.
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

I've always been openly gay. It would never occur to me to behave otherwise. maxx68's Avatar
    If you credit the source it shouldn't be a big deal. I think if it's an industry specific topic that could be a benefit to your board members, cut/paste/credit is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx68 View Post
    If you credit the source it shouldn't be a big deal. I think if it's an industry specific topic that could be a benefit to your board members, cut/paste/credit is okay.
    I agree.

and I don't think giving credit is saying "I found this on another board"

Giving credit would be " I found this posted on GWW by Lee " etc. and linking to the thread. Anything else is tacky and cheap IMO :snake:
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Quote Originally Posted by Squirt View Post
    I agree.

Giving credit would be " I found this posted on GWW by Lee " etc. and linking to the thread. Anything else is tacky and cheap IMO :snake:
    See im happy to just have 'saw this on GWW' but even that doesnt happen LOL

Regards,

Lee

I agree.

I think that's a bit much. I mean, we're talking posts on a message board here not a work of literature. If I had a good thread and saw someone else had posted the idea on another board I would simply read what others had to say on the topic. If they copied and pasted my exact words I'd be a little annoyed but not if it's just the idea.
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

I mean, we're talking posts on a message board here not a work of literature.
    Strictly speaking, we're talking copyrighted works, i dont know about other boards but whenever anyone signs up to GWW they assign the rights of any posts they make over to us... Therefore, for all intents and purposes, when this happens and someone takes a post from GWW and posts it elsewhere, they are commiting copyright infringement $0.02

Regards,

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Strictly speaking, we're talking copyrighted works, i dont know about other boards but whenever anyone signs up to GWW they assign the rights of any posts they make over to us... Therefore, for all intents and purposes, when this happens and someone takes a post from GWW and posts it elsewhere, they are commiting copyright infringement $0.02

Regards,

Lee
    Well, I did say reposting of ideas and not copying actual text. And an occasional crossover is quite different than another board taking all of your posts to their boards. I don't think that is right either. I'm only talking in a general sense, as in "hey, i saw this on another board" type of posts.
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

I think that's a bit much. I mean, we're talking posts on a message board here not a work of literature. If I had a good thread and saw someone else had posted the idea on another board I would simply read what others had to say on the topic. If they copied and pasted my exact words I'd be a little annoyed but not if it's just the idea.
    Yeah I get what you're saying.

If I do 20 minutes of research to find something interesting and new not posted on boards to contribute something unique, and Joe Shmoe just copies what I found and posts it on a board that I'm band from it would piss me off a bit but on the flip side when I see it done I laugh at how unoriginal some people can be LOL

At the end of the day it's not a drama for me, or I would have mentioned it at some point over the years.
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Yeah I get what you're saying.

If I do 20 minutes of research to find something interesting and new not posted on boards to contribute something unique, and Joe Shmoe just copies what I found and posts it on a board that I'm band from it would piss me off a bit but on the flip side when I see it done I laugh at how unoriginal some people can be LOL

At the end of the day it's not a drama for me, or I would have mentioned it at some point over the years.
    Yeah, I guess there are two sides to the coin. I was ready to keep going with my side but then I stopped and thought, "wait, let's look at what he's really saying" and you know, we both have good points.
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com