Thread: Content Providers With Limited Term Licenses?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

I Wonder? Content Providers With Limited Term Licenses?

I was wondering how you folks felt about content providers that only allow you to license content for 3-5 years at a time?

Are you concerned with purchasing content from such places in case they go out of business and you wont be able to renew your license when the time comes?

I saw that adultcontent.nl does this and it actually put me off making a purchase because of it.

Anyone else have content concerns when it comes to limited lifespan content licensing?

Regards,

Lee

Don't think I have any content that is licensed like that -- is it really enforced?

Quote Originally Posted by Bec View Post
    Don't think I have any content that is licensed like that -- is it really enforced?
    You know i honestly dont know if its enforced or not, i never purchase content with limited timespan usage, if im spending $100-$200 on a DVD or set of content i want to be able to use it as long as possible without having to 'renew' my license.

I think this is actually a relatively new thing that seems to be gaining momentum to because i dont ever recall having seen a provider doing this until the last 12 months, unless of course it was leased movie or gallery feeds.

Regards,

Lee

I've always been openly gay. It would never occur to me to behave otherwise. maxx68's Avatar
    I would think this would severely limit the number of webmasters purchasing the content. How could they enforce such a thing unless it was exclusive to just one domain. I mean hundreds of webmasters could buy the content and create hundreds of sites.

This sounds kinda weird...

back in 96 and 97 a lot of producers sold limited licenses. we did license a couple pic collections of several shoots each, but after a year when the licenses expired and there were more content brokers, i decided this pretty much sucked and never licensed content that way again.

Too old to care.
    In Board Tracker I have keywords like "content" to get notice of all the threads asking for content. Of those threads well over 50% are from Gay Boards. Which leads me to think that in the Gay market there is a shortage of good quality content.

Supply, demand, profit and price are all linked. The moment it becomes profitable to produce something that can be produced people will produce it. When it's not profitable people will not.

If you want to pay $50 to $30 for a video of two guys having sex that video has to sell 20 to 33 times at full price to make $1,000. And for $1,000 it's hardly worth producing it.

So while you complain that you can't spend $40 for a video, own it for life, put it on every free site to get traffic and make sure the family and future employees of the actors know how their son, daughter or employee got through college. Think of the other side of the coin.

We aren't quibbling over the initial price Paul, but on content that requires you re-license/re-pay to use it after a set time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by paul markham View Post
    Think of the other side of the coin.
    No need to, I just wont buy it, thats the problem solved right there.

Regards,

Lee

Too old to care.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bec View Post
    We aren't quibbling over the initial price Paul, but on content that requires you re-license/re-pay to use it after a set time frame.
    It's their way of raising the income on their content. Personally I don't agree with it because once is that old it's not worth so much and needs to be forgotten about or discounted. But it's their way and maybe it works for them.

Not buying it because you don't agree with the license is the wrong reason. You buy it if you can make money from it or you don't buy it because you can't profit from it.

Not buying good content that will convert, retain and makes you a profit because you can only profit from it for 3-5 years is bad business. Would I buy content for my paysite that makes me a profit for 3-5 years?

To right I would.

If it were worth it over the competion.

Quote Originally Posted by paul markham View Post
    Not buying it because you don't agree with the license is the wrong reason.
    No it isnt.

Its the same reason i wouldnt lease a car, or a computer, or anything else that was leased and required multiple payments, when *I* buy something i want to own it outright, for as long as deem it usefull.

I also dont buy content that i cant use on FHGs, or free sites, i also dont buy content that i cant use on multiple sites at the same, if something doesnt fit *MY* needs, then im not going to buy it.

If *I* dont like the terms of a purchase im not going to do the deal... PERIOD!

Regards,

Lee