Thread: Websites Not Responsible for Stupidity of its Users

Websites Not Responsible for Stupidity of its Users

SexSearch not responsible for underage hookup.

A US appeals court has once again ruled that websites aren't responsible for the stupidity of its users. And as a legal bonus, it has also verified that "your honor, her profile said she was 18" won't get a man off the hook.

As spotted by Eric Goldman, the case of John Doe v. SexSearch.com has rolled back into court, with pseudonymous plaintiff Doe faring no better than the first time he sued the matchmaking site.This John Doe was a paying "gold member" of the website SexSearch which he used to, well, search for sex.

The website encourages users to arrange sexual encounters with other SexSearch members, provided first they fill out a registration form which includes their date of birth.Doe met and eventually had consensual sex with female SexSearch member "Jane Roe," who claimed in her profile that she was born on June 15, 1987 – making her 18 at the time. (You can probably see where this is going).

Her profile also con tained Roe's authentic picture and a statement that her ideal match was a male "who could last for a long time."

But as it turned out, she was only 14. And the cops that swarmed around Doe's house a few months later weren't collecting for the annual policeman charity ball. Doe was eventually brought up on statutory rape charges, which could result in a 15-year prison term and lifetime classification as a sex offender.(1/01)

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    You know, i actually have to say that its stupid not allowing someone to use the 'she said' defense in cases like this, next they will be mandating a law that requires EVERYONE to ask for ID before sleeping with someone.

There should be places where if you are required to be a certain age to enter, for example, bars, clubs, movie theatres for certain pictures, etc that if you reasonably beleif an individual is of legal age, because they had to be that age to be there, that the other party should be charged with the crime.

Regards,

Lee

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    In a case like this, I'd like to see the underage kid, the kid's parents, and the partner all charged.

Everybody's negligent. If it's too good to be true, it probably is... and you'd have a hard time convincing me that the guy didn't have some idea the girl's age was iffy.

Gay Marriage - It's our Pearl Harbor.

Check It Out Europeans Billing Europe!

Dateline NBC's Chris Hansen should have been there. Therapy is indicated all around...
    BLOG IT!
    How Will You Spend Your 2011 EU Profits? - Webbilling.com

European Direct Debit Billing - Your Only Risk Is More Revenue!

I Giggle Like A Girl Every Time I Hear The Word 'Watersports'
    Quote Originally Posted by B2BwithJoeD View Post
    Dateline NBC's Chris Hansen should have been there. Therapy is indicated all around...
    Haha i love watching that program :high:

I've always been openly gay. It would never occur to me to behave otherwise. maxx68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    In a case like this, I'd like to see the underage kid, the kid's parents, and the partner all charged.

Everybody's negligent. If it's too good to be true, it probably is... and you'd have a hard time convincing me that the guy didn't have some idea the girl's age was iffy.
    Here,here.

Sex with a minor is abhorrent, but we need to start looking at the behavior of the child as well as the parental units. if we don't the same situations keep happening.

I know when I was 14 I was already going to bars with the help of family. I also know I was a promiscuous little shit, too.(Okay not little - 6'2" 190lbs. full head of flame red hair, bright blue eyes and an ass you could serve food off of....oh to be 14 again) ANYWAY! LOL

True enough - she willfully deceived him.

I don't think SS is responsible at all, and I think that this plaintiff is a fool to try and go after them. He should have launched civil and entrapment suits against the little hu-ore and her family.

Does he get off scott free? no way as stated earlier, I'm sure he was looking for youth and had an inkling that she may not be quite what she claimed!

M
    Mary
    Advertising Manager, QueerClick & Guys With iPhones
    Email: mary@queerclick.com

Reasonable Rates! Talk to me about better traffic options.

My son just turned 15 and is 5'10, my height.

Some kids these days can easily look like an adult so I'd have to see this girl to really know how I felt about this particular situation.

I think it's good common sense that if someone profile says 18, and you meet them to hookup, you should check I.D.

Man I'm glad I'm not into twinks what a hassle! to much trouble
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com