Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Have A Pontiac Solstice?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

I Wonder? Anyone Have A Pontiac Solstice?

Im looking at getting a new '09 Pontiac Solstice sometime in the next couple of months and was wondering if any of you folks had one and if so, any thing you think i should know about it before buying one?

Right now cost wise its looking like (with the options im going to want) its going to cost around $34,500, obviously i want to know if there are any reasons why i shouldnt get one of these?

Also, Gary is looking at picking up either an Audi or a Saab and we were wondering if you folks had any feedback on those also?

Regards,

Lee

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Also, Gary is looking at picking up either an Audi or a Saab and we were wondering if you folks had any feedback on those also?

Regards,

Lee
    Saabs USED to be amazing cars, built in Sweden (I think) by assembly teams rather than assembly line. They were revered for quality and long life.

Then GM purchased the company.

Now by the accounts of everyone I know who's owned one, they suck. In fact, they are simply re-branded GM cars, made in regular GM plants, with the same, uh, quality-challenged parts that make up other GM cars.

My friend who claims to know about such things claims that Audi (and its brand-sister, Volkswagen) has a very high frequency of repair, almost as high as GM does. My personal experience hasn't borne that out but he is generally pretty accurate with his knowledge.

If it were me, I'd go for the Audi over the Saab, but I'd go for a Lexus or Mercedes or Acura (or even a Honda, which I drive now) over either an Audi, Saab, or Pontiac. But I guess it depends on what features are important.

See, therein lays the problem, we actually wanted to get away from buying American because of the fact that we feel pretty much all of these companies are going to be bankrupt within the next 3 years.

The problem being, most of the cars made by non-US companies that are available over here quite frankly, stink.

Id actually be more inclined to purchase a car in the UK, have it converted for left-hand drive over here and get it shipped over, but the problem with that is actually sitting in one for a test drive.

BMW has a few nicer cars but nothing that screams out to me like the Solstice does and most of the US supercars well, they just seem ugly in comparison to what im used to having grown up with.

Regards,

Lee

How long have you been gay?

regarding the solstice

I rented one because I absolutely LOVED the look. I'll be honest this car was a huge disappointment for me. I'm assuming that you've test driven it, but it was the inside that was my problem.

The cupholders, consoles, instrument panel, etc were so CHEAP. My other half got into the passenger seat and literally almost ripped off the cheap-ass cupholder.

I don't know the inside totally turned me off from the car all together. I just felt like everything would break so easy.

Ben,

What interior did the one you leased have?

There are actually 3 versions and im looking at getting the black leather/red stitch version, not the standard or the woven fabric versions which admittedly do look rather cheap looking.

Regards,

Lee

Life is a dick and when itīs get hard---just fuck it... DEVELISH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Id actually be more inclined to purchase a car in the UK, have it converted for left-hand drive over here and get it shipped over, but the problem with that is actually sitting in one for a test drive.
    IF you are looking for a car in europe choose a country which is NOT GB cuz everybody else has left hand driving oh and the Euro is almost equal to the GBP now.

There are "some" dealers in Rotterdam which will be more than happy so ship cars since thats what they do all day long in europes busiest port and car port
    :-D

How long have you been gay?
    it was the standard woven fabric. The plastic parts were the major part of my problem with it. Everything just felt like it was too thin and would break.

Quote Originally Posted by badpuppyben View Post
    it was the standard woven fabric. The plastic parts were the major part of my problem with it. Everything just felt like it was too thin and would break.
    Ah okay, well from what i saw the dashboard parts and console parts didnt seem to be to flimsy, ill double check though because to be honest i was more interested in the overall look and performance rather than the aesthetics inside.

Regards,

Lee

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Lee,

If you're seriously thinking about importing, be sure and check the regs with regard to safety features and emission controls. I think, but am not certain, that US imposes safety requirements (side door reinforcements, third brake light, and a bunch of other stuff) that aren't required in other countries, so if you bring a car into the US that is made for marketing elsewhere, it may not have those features, particularly the emission controls, and some of those things may not be possible to retrofit.

I know California can be anal about the emissions stuff (the other regs are federal not state),but I don't know about Florida.

Well as of right now, importing was the idea i had but in reality i dont think that is going to end up being what i do, as much as i would like to, Lotus has some really great (and affordable) supercars right now as does Noble and Ultima and the ones i actually like, cost almost as much as a mid-range Cadillac but look and perform way better.

Regards,

Lee

throw fundamentalists to the lions chadknowslaw's Avatar
    Converting something from RHD to LHD would be financially unwise I believe. That would be major body, structural and mechanical work.

You also need to get imported cars emission certified before you can register it, so you would need to have the emission system altered as well to meet US specs.

I recall that some of the European manufacturers had EU delivery programs, where you could pick up your car in Europe, drive it for a period (they assume you will take an EU vacation and spend a week or 3) and then the manufacturer arranges the shipping and certifications. I am not sure if those programs are still available, but if they are, and you find a car you love, it could be an option.
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com
    Keeping you out of trouble is easier than getting you out of trouble!

LiveTwinksCam.com LiveTwinksCam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chadknowslaw View Post
    Converting something from RHD to LHD would be financially unwise I believe. That would be major body, structural and mechanical work.

You also need to get imported cars emission certified before you can register it, so you would need to have the emission system altered as well to meet US specs.

I recall that some of the European manufacturers had EU delivery programs, where you could pick up your car in Europe, drive it for a period (they assume you will take an EU vacation and spend a week or 3) and then the manufacturer arranges the shipping and certifications. I am not sure if those programs are still available, but if they are, and you find a car you love, it could be an option.
    Hi Chad! Yes, BMW offers this exact package you are talking about. I prefer BMW, solid car and still owned by itself, the same company for many years. The first 50,000 miles are covered under warranty and all maintenance such as oil changes, breaks, etc., anything besides tires is covered and free the first 4 years or 50,000 miles. Good luck Lee!
    Thanks,
    Jacob

Add HOT Live Feeds to your site!
    www.LiveTwinksCam.com/webmasters.html

So we're actually scheduled to get a test drive of the new BMW Z4 Roadster 3.0si tomorrow afternoon, as Gary is now looking at getting one of the BMW X6's so we figured if i changed to BMW also, we should be able to get a good discount on purchasing 2 vehicles from the same company.

Will let you know how the test drive goes

Regards,

Lee

throw fundamentalists to the lions chadknowslaw's Avatar
    An X6???

Even the BMW enthusiasts at Car & Driver had a hard time figuring out why the X6 exists. It doesn't have the utility of an SUV, doesn't have the capabilities of a sports sedan and has had dismal sales. While I think the Z4 roadster is an excellent choice if you are looking for a fun, open car, you should look around the showroom before adopting an X6. That one seems like a rare failure at BMW.
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com
    Keeping you out of trouble is easier than getting you out of trouble!

LiveTwinksCam.com LiveTwinksCam's Avatar
    I would get the X5 if you want a X6, though the X6 looks hot. All of the BMW's are good choices, you can't go wrong with any of them. Even the 335i coupe would be a great choice if you want sporty. Depends on how much you want to spend.

Cars:
    3 series, around 35-52k (335i coupe, very sporty)
    5 series, around 48-60k (luxury)
    6 series coupe, around 80-90k (sporty)
    7 series, around 80k-120k (luxury)

SUV:
    X3 (3 series) 40-45k
    X5 (5 series) 53-60k
    Thanks,
    Jacob

Add HOT Live Feeds to your site!
    www.LiveTwinksCam.com/webmasters.html