Thread: Technical Question About Domain Parking / DNS Setting...

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Technical Question About Domain Parking / DNS Setting...

Does anyone know the best way to setup some kind of DNS for domain parking, for example, would it be possible to have any domains i owned parked on a single domain like park.myparking.com and just set the DNS on my other domain names to point to that DNS?

Im guessing it might have something to do with a .htaccess file on the primary parking domains DNS to enable this to work, does anyone know what the best, most typical setup is for something like this?

Im trying to put together an action list for a programmer to create a basic parking script for me and so far, this is actually the only part of the equation im having major problems with because quite frankly, i dont really understand the technical apsects of setting up domain parking

Any of you folks have an idea of how this would work from a technical standpoint?

Regards,

Lee

What do you consider 'good sex'? rawTOP's Avatar
    Just set them up as server aliases the same way you do for www vs. non-www...

It wouldn't be done in .htaccess - that comes after everything is resolved.

As far as DNS - it should just point all of them to the same IP address, after that it's Apache's job.

I cant do that because then it wouldnt be a script running them, delivering dynamic content based on keywords on a per domain basis.

I guess i should also mention at this point this is going to be a script that is developed for an affiliate program so that others can also use my domain parking service.

Regards,

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I cant do that because then it wouldnt be a script running them, delivering dynamic content based on keywords on a per domain basis.
    Not true. ServerAlias doesn't do a redirect so the requested host is there for the taking by the your script. It's really incredibly simple.

Quote Originally Posted by rawTOP View Post
    Not true. ServerAlias doesn't do a redirect so the requested host is there for the taking by the your script. It's really incredibly simple.
    Right but, how would YOU point one of YOUR domains to MY script to get credited with sales/clicks from the parking?

Regards,

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Right but, how would YOU point one of YOUR domains to MY script to get credited with sales/clicks from the parking?
    It's a two step process. First , the domain owner changes their DNS setting to the IP address of your server with an A record, or better would be a CNAME record so it's not tied to a particular IP address. Next, they would tell you that the domain belongs to them so when you see that domain name you know to credit them with the traffic.

It's pretty much exactly what AEBN does for custom theaters.