Thread: Czech Sex Offenders Must Get Castrated

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Czech Sex Offenders Must Get Castrated

THE Czech Republic's image as a bastion of Bohemian liberalism has come under threat after a leading human rights watchdog condemned the country for surgically castrating sex offenders.

In a detailed report published yesterday, the Council of Europe's anti-torture committee branded the practice a "degrading treatment", and called for it to halt immediately.

"Surgical castration is a mutilating, irreversible intervention and cannot be considered as a medical necessity in the context of the treatment of sex offenders," it said. "The intervention removes a person's ability to procreate and has serious physical and mental consequences."

The number of men castrated remains vague, the Czech health ministry says that in the last 10 years 94 men have consented to the intervention.

The country also uses chemical castration but reserves surgery, in which parts of the testicles are removed, for serious cases of sexual violence.

The Council of Europe report attacked the Czech government's claim that sex offenders opted for castration of their own free will. Faced with a long prison sentence, the offender agrees to castration, the report says, "believing it is the only available option to avoid indefinite confinement."

In addition, the report found, many of those who had opted for castration had been given inadequate information about its implications.

In its defence, the Czech government of Prime Minister Mirek Topolanek said surgical castration was "carefully carried out in accordance with national law" and that the process was monitored by sexologists, who supported the practice.

The country, which currently holds the European presidency, also pointed out that surgical castration is officially confined to serious or serial offenders, and that it has, according to two studies, cut re-offending to zero.

But these claims are disputed by the watchdog. In its report, based on visits to two psychiatric hospitals and two prisons, it said that in half of cases castration was carried out on people diagnosed as non-violent. It also queried the claim that castration stopped repeat offending.

"During the committee's visit it came across three cases in which sex offenders had committed serious sex related crimes, including serial rape and attempted murder, after they had been surgically castrated," the report claims.

The committee also said that in "at least five cases" a court- appointed guardian had signed consent forms for castration, and that on two occasions the guardians had been local mayors. Also a considerable number of the surgically castrated offenders suffered from "significant mental retardation".

In its response to the criticisms, the Czech government did say that the law on surgical castration would be reviewed this year, and more detailed regulations introduced.

The report comes at a time when several countries, including Britain, are considering introducing chemical castration.

http://news.scotsman.com/world/Czech...alt.4953907.jp

What are your thoughts about this? Im atcually torn on the subject myself, i can see why having some sex offenders castrated could definitely be a good thing but at the same time, i can also see how it would be harsh too.

Regards,

Lee

Man, that's a tough fence to straddle. Your damn'd if you do and damn'd if you don't.

I guess it would depend on the crime. I personally think all child sex offenders should be taken out and shot. If they wanted to castrate them I don't think I'd complain to much.
    :pinkylove:Sex is like air, you don't notice you need it until you don't have any!:pinkylove:

If homosexuality is a disease, let's all call in queer to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Im atcually torn on the subject myself, i can see why having some sex offenders castrated could definitely be a good thing but at the same time, i can also see how it would be harsh too.

Regards,

Lee
    Remove just 1 testicle

while part of me feels that repeat rapists - not all so-called sex offenders - shouldn't be allowed to run around with their equipment intact, i'd need to see some serious proof that castration even dealt with the issue before i could even form an opinion. also if there was a form of chemical castration performed hormonally once a year by a doctor working for the probation department, wouldn't that pretty much accomplish the same thing?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Thats exactly my feelings on the matter.. It depends on what the charge is and obviously who the person being charged is and how old they are.

Regards,

Lee

let's pretend we're bunny rabbits
    That's crazy. I lived in Czech for 5 years and never heard about this. Sex offenses never seemed to be a big problem from what I know, but I guess they take them seriously.

I take it seriously too, but I feel that genital mutilation is a bit 'old school' as far as punishment goes. I actually prefer the American system of locking them up and making sure the rest of the prison population know why they're there....

i'm not a fan of punishment so much as making the problem not happen. if a repeated rapist really did stop raping and having the impulses that caused it, he wouldn't have to be in prison. and our prisons are costing us a fortune and many prisoners being abused because we have SO many people in prison.

besides, in a world of breast inplants, nose jobs and tummy tucks, why are testicles sacred in this way? ftm transsexuals often get their breasts removed and their vaginas reconstructed, and mtf sometimes get rid of the penis and testicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
    I take it seriously too, but I feel that genital mutilation is a bit 'old school' as far as punishment goes. I actually prefer the American system of locking them up and making sure the rest of the prison population know why they're there....