Thread: Let's discuss 2257 regulations.

How long have you been gay?

Let's discuss 2257 regulations.

So basically, you have to keep an ID on file for EVERY model on your site at all times and have to have a custodian of records, no?

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Um,

There are a million discussions here in the archives of all of the 2257-related issues (2257A, 4472, the regs prior to and after 6/23/05, the new regs that go into effect 3/19/09, primary vs. secondary producers and the controversy related to Sundance vs Reno, the FSC vs Ashcroft injunction, etc.)

Perhaps you'd do best to search the archives and read about all of those issues, because it sounds like your knowledge of 2257 is pretty limited. You need way more than just an ID for every model and a custodian of records.

Once you've read up on some of the discussions, feel free to ask anything you need for clarification... but also keep in mind that, except for Chad, none of us who post here are attorneys, and you're talking about a regulation that even a simple violation can theoretically result in significant jail time, so really knowing the regs inside and out is pretty important to anyone in the adult biz, and while it's good to talk with others in the industry, there's no substitute for a consultation with a good attorney.

I Giggle Like A Girl Every Time I Hear The Word 'Watersports'
    as i understand it you need to have documents for every picture on every url that the pictures appeared on and they need to be searchable using model name, real name, date of birth, url and some other stuff

Gay Marriage - It's our Pearl Harbor.
    The part I have questions about is the requirement for every URL the model appears in. Easy for static pages like www.domain.com/models/john.htm. But what about dynamic URL's, the kind that are generated when someone uses a search function on the site, say for blue-eyed blonds 20-30 years old. There could be literally hundreds of thousands of possible resulting URL's in the form of http://www.domain.com/search.php?eye...=20&highage=30. The webmaster didn't actually create that page, the system creates it on the fly using PHP or other programming. So how can a webmaster keep track of such URL's for 2257 purposes?

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    as i understand it you need to have documents for every picture on every url that the pictures appeared on and they need to be searchable using model name, real name, date of birth, url and some other stuff

i believe you need everything cross referenced by model name and url.

as far as dynamic urls go, ask yourself this: do you want to trust ex fbi-agents, the doj or a judge to know a dynamic page from static?

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    The letters between Justice and the FSC back in June of '05 clarified some of these issues, and those clarifications have been addressed in the newest regulations (the ones that go into effect in March.)

For a database-driven site, the regulations now only require some way of identifying the depiction (image or video) and linking it to the required 2257 identification and cross-referencing information, which is a much more reasonable way of approaching the situation.

The way we accomplish this is to use a file naming structure that identifies the set ID and individual image or video ID (as well as various other attributes of the scene, such as whether it's explicit, nonexplicit, single model, or multiple model.) That set ID is cross-linked in our 2257 database to all of the model's required 2257 information, ID images, other scenes and/or DVDs the model is in, other stage names he's used, etc.

When the page is displayed, the HTML generated by PHP has the filenames of all the images or videos, and those filenames directly reference back to the sets and ID information.

There are probably other ways of doing that, but this method was the best we came up with.

GWW Community Member
    Does anyone know if the new rule that allows you to hire a 3rd party to maintain your records is now in effect? Are any lawyers offering this service yet and if so, any idea what they're charging?

Quote Originally Posted by basschick View Post
    i believe you need everything cross referenced by model name and url.

as far as dynamic urls go, ask yourself this: do you want to trust ex fbi-agents, the doj or a judge to know a dynamic page from static?
    very good point!
    :pinkylove:Sex is like air, you don't notice you need it until you don't have any!:pinkylove: