Thread: Am I supposed to be getting 1099 forms?

GWW Community Member

Am I supposed to be getting 1099 forms?

I'm in the US and started up some blogs in 2008. I've been promoting several sites and have made a little money. Am I supposed to be getting 1099 forms from these sponsors? I haven't seen any yet.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Yes, so long as you have made $600 from the individual sponsor program you are supposed to be sent a 1099.

Regards,

Lee

Professional pervert
    If I recall my tax law correctly, you are only issued a 1099 form if you made over $600 affiliate earnings from a given company. So if they're new blogs, you may not have earned enough to receive any 1099 forms.

Also, some payment processors don't issue 1099 forms. I don't believe I have ever received a 1099 form from CCBill, for example, even though I have earned way more than $600 in affiliate income via their company this last year. Nor have I received a 1099 form from any of their affiliates that also paid me over $600 via CCBill from their website.

I suspect that if an expert on tax law were to look at the issue of 1099s and CCBill, they'd find that someone was supposed to be issuing 1099 forms (probably the specific website companies rather than CCBill itself). Either way it isn't getting done.

If you earned more than $600 last year from AEBN, definitely contact them regarding the issue. They botched their 1099 forms this year. Many went out with incorrect information on them, and some never went out at all.

--Aaron
    Aaron Lawrence
    Webmaster, GayGeek: Smart reviews of gay adult websites

Gay Journalist and erotic video producer.
    Itinerant photographer, now in Liverpool... and on Stripchat and Streamen and Chaturbate.
    I have about 10 Vendors who pay me directly, and another dozen through CCBIll...

I got ONE 1099 last year, and ONE so far this year (although the deadline is quite past)... in both cases the aforementioned vendor in another thread, about its 1099 being wrong this year nonetheless.

throw fundamentalists to the lions chadknowslaw's Avatar
    Processors are not the entities that are paying you -- the affiliate programs are paying you and the processors are "the middle man". While CC Bill would not send you a 1099, the affiliate program should.

Lee correctly stated that there is a threshold for 1099's -- so if you did not earn enough ($600) you would not get a 1099. The affiliate program can still deduct what they paid to you as an expense and you should still list it as income.

If you do not get a 1099, you are still required to report the income, regardless of the amount. If you got $300, you should report it as income and if you got $1300, even though they should have sent you a 1099, you still are required to report it.
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com
    Keeping you out of trouble is easier than getting you out of trouble!

I've always been openly gay. It would never occur to me to behave otherwise. maxx68's Avatar
    If you check the IRS website the amount that you are required to pay taxes as an independent contractor is $400.00.

Employers have to show the IRS where their income is coming from and the amount of that income so they can determine their deductions and have proof should they be audited, right?

Well what would concern me is a sponsor who doesn't issue 1099s to their affiliates. If they collect your SS# or TIN they are supposed to issue them. They have them on file, they provide them to the IRS to justify their income, so say a sponsor who doesn't issue them gets audited, then the IRS has all these SS# and TIN and now they can go after each and every affiliate who didn't file because they didn't get a 1099.

It's our responsibilities as affiliates to file taxes on what we earned, just because a sponsor doesn't issue a 1099 doesn't get you off the hook.

I would be especially careful from now on about filing considering the state our finances are in this country. The local, state and federal governments are going to be looking for any and all ways to make money.

Just my 2cents

I Giggle Like A Girl Every Time I Hear The Word 'Watersports'
    so if i have not made $600 from my sponsors i do not have to worry about 1099 forms or is it if i have made $600 from them combined because i have made that at the moment

Professional pervert
    It's $600 per company that you deal with.

Foreign companies are also less likely to write you a 1099 form unless they have an ongoing US presence.

--Aaron
    Aaron Lawrence
    Webmaster, GayGeek: Smart reviews of gay adult websites

I got one 1099 this year and that was from WebPowers.. that's it, and I've made lots of money promoting other affiliate programs :bunny:
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com