Thread: Would it be appropriate to become an affiliate?

Gay Marriage - It's our Pearl Harbor.

Would it be appropriate to become an affiliate?

As I have mentioned here in the past, we're planning to do a site with original content later this year. In the meantime, I'm at loose ends. It will be several months because my partner needs to sell his business and then we'll move to another continent! So, I've been thinking maybe I could do some blogs, TGPs, etc. as an affiliate of other people's programs/membership sites.

I think it would be a great experience to see things from the affiliates' point of view, for later when we have our own membership site. Hopefully I would make a little cash and send some new members on to the sponsors. Even if I get crazy busy later when we start up our site, I'd certainly leave the promo sites up and keep passing traffic and signups to the original sponsors.

However, is this ethical/appropriate? Is there some kind of protocol about (future) site owners not promoting "competitors"? I don't want to step on anyone's toes and I think it would be a win-win situation for both parties. Any thoughts?

I am not gay but I have slept with some guys who are
    damn skippy you should!

Thats slang, it means yes you should.

I am not gay but I have slept with some guys who are
    I guess thats a little unelaborated.

Lots of owners are affiliates as well of other programs. Its considered completely ordinary and accepted. It's also invaluable for learning more about all aspects of the biz.

Dzinerbear
    I have a paysite (ButchDixon.com) and I still promote all kinds of sites in the real man niche. A paysite isn't going to turn a profit over night and I've still got to eat and pay the rent.

Besides, I've learned over the eight years I've been in this business that it's not good to put all your eggs in the one basket. It's always nice to have something to fall back on — billing companies fail, people are downsized out of their jobs, paysites skip town, content suppliers dry up, or Google changes its algorithm. Spreading yourself around a bit doesn't hurt at all, and this day and age, security is important.

Michael

I'm not gay; I'm British! cezam's Avatar
    i say go for it... but don't expect to make much in a few first months, especially if you start from scratch... it took a whole year for my blog network to start making some steady income (but maybe I was doing something wrong though )

50-60% revshare
    E-mail cezam@dannyrayonline.com // icq 353-235-249

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Yes it would, just because you are launching a program that does not mean that you cant promote other peoples websites!

To be honest with you, i wouldnt launch your own site UNTIL you have had some success with promoting other programs offerings, that is why most new affiliate programs and paysites fail, because they actually dont know how to market their sites or what the surfer is looking for.

Regards,

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    To be honest with you, i wouldnt launch your own site UNTIL you have had some success with promoting other programs offerings
    Totally agree 100%, just because you build a paysite and offer an affiliate program, it does not mean you will succeed. You will only succeed if you learn how to successfully generate and drive traffic.
    Luke H.
    Marketing Director
    Zbuckz.com, Jbuckz.com, Dickbank.com, Glamourbuckz.com

Gay Marriage - It's our Pearl Harbor.
    Thanks for the replies. It seems most of you think it's not only appropriate to do this but almost obligatory as a learning experience. I'm glad to hear that and I'm looking forward to getting started as an affiliate. I hope to make you guys some money by way of new members, learn a lot in the process, and have some fun along the way!

Kevin

Help I'm Lost!!
    I think it's a great idea. I don't own any paysites yet and I've been an affiliate for a few years now.

I've attended most of the big shows and one theme I see is that it seems like most companies really don't care that much about affiliate webmasters.

None of the shows have really had any webmaster programming except for one Phoenix forum waaay back

Yes I've heard the chicken and the egg argument already affiliate webmasters don't go so there's no programming for them. Well how are webmasters ever going to feel welcome when there's no programming no category to choose as a webmaster?

I also heard at the Vegas show during the Future of the biz (If they do that one more time I'm gonna scream)

That this company was still doing well but many of their affiliates weren't. It seems that they have forgotten that affiliates go along way into helping sites generate sales and building branding by promoting them. How long does this co think they're going to continue to do well if they're not really concerned that there affiliates arent?

Ok that's the end of my rant I've just found what seems to be an exclusion purposely or not from shows to be most annoying.

GWW Community Member
    Thanks for asking this question because I wondered about this also.

I have some blogs but am thinking about starting an original content site and wondered if it would be "ethical" for me to keep my blogs promoting others at the same time. I wondered if I might be violating some sponsors terms of use if I became a competitor to them.

I also thought I could use my existing blog network to promote my own site when it launches, hopefully generating some instant traffic. So it sounds like all of this is perfectly acceptable.

I Giggle Like A Girl Every Time I Hear The Word 'Watersports'
    i do not see why it could hurt and if you are making a paysite you will probably be better learning how to sell it before letting your affiliates do it