Thread: New Site On The Down-Low

DigitalJay

I Wonder? New Site On The Down-Low

So - I have this absolutely fuckin' brilliant idea for a new gay adult site. It's unlike anything out there, and I KNOW it would do extremely well and I would absolutely be passionate about it and enjoy every minute of building it and updating it. BUT...here are the questions: It would cost a bit to startup, and a bit is too much for me right now. Should I shop the idea around and look for investors or is that just asking to have my idea stolen? Also, if I bust ass to make the money to start this thing, I'll still have to have some other webmasters involved. How should I go about this to keep the idea from being stolen from under me? How can I prevent a dozen copycats from popping up and outdoing me? How can I find out where to host my site and who to use to buy the domain name without spilling the beans, etc? I know a lot of really good people in the industry, but none that I know for sure I can completely trust. I really, really want to do this, but I know I can't do it alone. Please everyone post some advice, and some horror stories/success stories with this kind of thing so I know what to look out for and what to hope for. Thanks everyone in advance, and thanks again everyone for making this the first place I would think of to post questions like this.
    Great big X's and O's
    Digitaljay

Dawgy
    find someone u trust to partner with. get everything on paper down to the tiniest detail.

as for copycats... its gonna happen... just register all the domains u can think of that go along with it to slow them down.

DigitalJay
    Very good ideas, although as I mentioned i'm very, very poor. I wouldn't be able to afford legal documents or more than a couple domain names.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    The best thing you can do so far as speaking to people about your idea is to get ahold of a non disclosure agreement (i beleive we have one somewhere you can use ill see if i can find it) before you start telling people about your ideas make sure you have them sign and fax a copy of the agreement back to you.

At least then, if they do go ahead and steal your idea you have some legal recourse to take

Now so far as registering domains etc, i would register the singlar and plural of the MAIN domain you want to use for this project.

Then you just have to figure out a business plan for the idea and select a few (no more than 4) companies and individuals to approach about it.

Regards,

Lee

DigitalJay
    Thanks for the excellent advice Lee! I'm so excited about this idea I could scream, I wish I had the money to go ahead with it, I think about it constantly. When I first came up with the idea, I ran it past a few wealthy guys I know and they were all almost begging me to make them a partner, but I know I don't want one, just some kind of loan or something. It shouldn't cost more than $500 to startup, but that might as well be 5k to me right now. One way or another, i'm going to have to find a way to raise this money! This is something completely unlike anything out there right now, and it's such an awesome idea I KNOW it will do well, and it's actually something I can market to gay men AND women, no matter what they are into sexually! If I don't get to do this thing, or if someone beats me to it, I know i'll regret it for the rest of my life. Wish me luck everyone, please

Absolutely wishing you luck - in this and in your personal life situation ... I have certainly had first hand experience of getting shit on for no real reason thru life ... they say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, but damn, I could sure use an elephant gun now and again to get that crappin thing off my roof top! But I also have seen kindnesses happen that came when I needed them most, and hoping you find a few strewn along your path as well.

DigitalJay
    Thanks Bec, and yes some people have helped me out in the past. I only hope that someday I can pass it on to other people. Everyone I know is dirt poor, so the needs of everyone I care about motivates and drives me. So much better than selfish desires! I have 4 big main ideas that I know will work and that'll keep me satisfied for life, and those that I love. I eat, sleep, and breath these ideas so I know I have the passion to get this shit done. I won't forget the people that helped either, i'll have plenty of free advertising space for the kind and thoughtful at GWW if any of my sites ever "take off"

Scorpio
    Sounds very interesting... and i wish i could help you for it... but we're kinda in the same boat right now. Hopefully you'll get your idea out pretty soon