(Jerusalem) An extremist Jewish group with ties to the United States is threatening to disrupt gay pride celebrations in Jerusalem this week.

Members of the Kahane Group, part of the Jewish Defense League founded by ultra conservative American rabbi Meyer Kahane who was later assassinated, say they will "bust up" the pride parade scheduled for Thursday.

The group is also believed to be responsible for thousands of posters put up on Jerusalem streets on the weekend that accuse gays of pedophilia.

"Mother, I heard that the bad people who sexually assault and sodomize children are holding a parade... Dad, Mom don't let them go out on the street, Help Me!, I am afraid!" the posters say.

The posters re signed by the Organization of Mothers of Wounded Children, an organization associated with the Kahane group.

"This parade of abomination has no place in Jerusalem. In place of parading through the street of Jerusalem, I would send the participants for urgent psychological treatment," far-right activist Itamar Ben-Gvir told the Jerusalem Post.

Ben-Gvir said he intends to pelt participants at the pride celebration to a volley of eggs and tomatoes.

"The assertion that there is a connection between homosexuality and pedophilia is similar to the accusation that Jews prepare the Passover matzos with the blood of Christians," said gay Jerusalem city councilman Sa'ar Netanel (Meretz Party).

This will be Jerusalem's third pride celebration and is considered the unofficial kickoff to next year's International Pride which for the first time will be held in the Middle East and is expected to bring thousands of gays and lesbians from around the world.

The last such international parade, which took place in Rome in 2000, saw about half a million participants.

Last year extremists destroyed nearly 100 rainbow flags along Jerusalem streets the night before the parade (story) but despite threats of violence from members of an ultra Orthodox party there were no problems.

http://www.365gay.com/newscon04/05/0...raelThreat.htm

Perhaps its just me but...

Given all the recent fuss about gay marriage and the chruch, does it not strike anyone else as 'odd' that they would hold the event in Jerusalem of all places? :eek:

Of course thats not to negate that they can hold it anywhere they like i just kinda thought they were making trouble for themselves by holding in the Holy City.

Regards,

Lee