Thread: Rupert Murdoch - Content Syndication Shouldnt Be Free

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

WTF? Rupert Murdoch - Content Syndication Shouldnt Be Free

Today's Wall Street Journal gave short shrift to a news-making pronouncement by its own corporate chieftain, News Corp. Chief Executive Officer Rupert Murdoch. Buried on page B5 was a four-paragraph brief on Murdoch's revelation that News Corp. was "investing in a mobile device for reading newspapers." He's not the first newspaper executive to dream of an e-reader, but he may be the one best positioned to make it work. Most of his customers, after all, can deduct the cost of their subscriptions as a business expense, so they're less likely to balk at the high price tag of a Kindle-like device. And the Journal's reporting on business and financial news is uniquely suited for real-time electronic delivery.

More interesting to me, though, was this quote from Murdoch (speaking at an unspecified "gathering in Washington," which might have been the annual cable TV convention, or maybe just lunch with the Journal's Washington, D.C. bureau): "People are used to reading everything on the net for free, and that's going to have to change." Murdoch also suggested that newspapers should stop letting Google and other news aggregators republish excerpts of their articles for free.

Purely from a competitive standpoint, I would love to see the Journal deny aggregators access to its stories unless they paid fees. I can't imagine Google or its competitors agreeing to share their ad revenue, even for content as popular as the Journal's. There are just too many other, free sources of every type of news. They may not be as good, but that doesn't seem to matter online. The challenge for Murdoch and other publishers isn't that people expect content online to be free, although plenty of people do; it's that new competitors are finding ways to build profitable businesses by delivering valuable content for free. Anyone who tries to charge for content or make it more scarce will be playing into the hands of those who don't. Doesn't Murdoch talk to Jason Klar at Hulu? I mean, News Corp. is one of the founders...

By the way, you can't read the Journal's story about Murdoch online unless you pony up $103 for an annual online subscription. (Hello, micropayments?) If you're already a subscriber, here's the link.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...h-ereader.html

I mentioned a few weeks ago that i see some bvery big changes coming in the world of RSS aggregates once they start becoming popular in the mainstream world, it would seem that Rupert Murdoch wants to be one of the first to implement paid content aggregation.

Your thoughts, do you think we're ever going to see the day where syndication of content will actually mean having to pay for it?

Regards,

Lee

I Giggle Like A Girl Every Time I Hear The Word 'Watersports'
    i think that we will see paid rss stuff in the next 1 or 2 years because a lot of mainstreamers still dont get rss syndication they think that it is another form of stealing the blog posts they make when they show up on another persons site it does not help that a lot of people are not using rss in mainstream like it is used in adult to but that is the same for a lot of stuff we do in adult so it will be a few more years at least before they even catch up i think